Speakers for SF Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fazendeiro, Jan 29, 2008.

1. fazendeiro

fazendeiro Member

I'm looking for new speakers for my silver face Twin Reverb. It's got some old mismatched Fender-labeled ceramics currently. I don't really have any complaints about the tone, I just want to try to freshen and enhance the amp.

I'm not looking to transform the amp into something it's not. I want it to still sound like a Fender Twin, big and clean, but with a little warmth. I just want to get the best "Twin Reverb" sound out of it that I can.

I have lower-wattage, lighter, more portable amps, so that's not really a concern. It's a Twin, so it's always gonna be pretty cumbersome.

I'm thinking about Emi RW & Blues, but someone recommended the GB 12.

What are you guys using? Got any suggestions?

2. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Eminence makes some great stuff.
    The Red, White, and Blues sound like a good fit, though I have not ever tried them.
    Perhaps look into the Eminence Tonker.
    Not sure if you had considered alnico speakers, but I've heard that Tone Tubbies work very nicely in a Twin, or maybe even Fane's alnicos.
    Speaking of alnico...
    I once used a 60's Fender Pro Reverb with some RI Celestion Blue speakers and it sounded fantastic. I mean one of the best Fender tones I've ever heard! If you've got money to throw around maybe try 2 Celestion Golds in there for a higher powered equivalent.
    Good luck.

3. fazendeiro

fazendeiro Member

Thanks for your input, gtrfindr.

Everyone else, back to your funny kitty threads.

4. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I have two RW&B's in my SF Twin. They are a good match.

You will get a slightly warmer sound, and to me it also gave me a more usefull treble pot; as I usually ran the treble fairly low, now I can dial it up a bit to get the same sound, or dial it further and get even more chime without being overly bright or piercing.

5. mockoman

mockoman Member

I have a pair of Weber California ceramics in my '73. Real nice,clear,tight,& punchy,without the piercing high end of JBLs.

6. gratay

gratay Member

I have weber cali' 12's w/- paper cone in mine.......very nice speaker.

7. Washburnmemphis

Washburnmemphis Member

I have a pair of Weber Michigan ceramics (paper cone) SED "C" 6L6GC, in my 74/75 SFTR. Notes are crystal clear. Great setup for jazz.