Speakers for Silver Jubilee

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by S.A.M., Jan 31, 2006.

1. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I'm currently running Eminence v12s, but I think I want something with a little more bite, some of that styrofoam squeekyness if you know what I mean. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

gosh..I don't know. I might get attacked, but I have yet to hear anything I like better than my V30 loaded Bogner cab. And I've tried lots of stuff since I'd rather not carry such a heavy cab (bogner has got to be one of the heaviest 4x12s out there!)

The V30 really does a good job of giving dead rooms that extra sparkle needed.

3. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Tyler - schweet sounds clips of your guitar(s) on your webpage. Curious - what setttings did you use on your amp (for that matter, what'd you use to record them)? How loudly do you usually run your amp when you play live?

thanks!

jb

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

+1 on the Bogner Cabs with the V30's

Eminence Wizards sound pretty good. Celestion Heritage G12H30's me likey.

[​IMG]

5. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

DAMN I miss my Jubilee.

I always ran Vintage 30's. Hope to get my hands on one again.

Stupid...stupid...stupidd.:NUTS :jo :horse

6. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

thank you so much... Theres a reason my user name is "jubileeman 2555"....lol:)

I set the amp the same way all the time. I found my sweet spot and I might slightly tweak it here and there depending on the room, but its the first amp ive ever found that honestly sounds as good in my bedroom as ANY venue....

P:9:00
    B:4-5:00
    M:2:00
    T:9:00
    MV:2:00
    DV:10:00
    G:11:00-12:00

I'll just turn the MV down a bit when playing at home and in real dead venues i'll just keep cranking the MV up and up. In fact jubilees continue to sound better and better the more Master you give them. When I ran a 50watt jub. I used to run the Master at 10 to get the most out of the amp. I really couldnt' do that with the 100watt, I would have to bring the DV down too much and it would choke it a bit.

Same settings for recording and everything.

Probably the biggest trick with Jubilees is to always run at least a patch chord across the FX loop. Some of the guts of the tone get lost if you leave nothing jumping.

As for recording... real cheap easy setup. Keep it simple. SM57---small yamaha mix board (6 track)---FostexMR8 digital 8track--- dump to computer and turned into MP3. Thats it. nothing fancy at all. Nor do I edit the recordings since I feel that it defeats the purpose of sound samples. Though, I have been known to bring samples into cakewalk from time to time to get comparison clips at the same volume, or MAYBE add reverb. But thats rare. Glad you liked the tones...

Hope this helps. I'm never gonna sell my jubilee. Its my #1 amp and will probably stay that way possibly forever.

7. Ironman

Ironman Member

I used to use V30's exclusively with a Jubilee but lately I've been using Greenbacks or Wizards. To be honest, they all sound great with a Jubilee! At the moment the Greenbacks are my favorite by a slim margin. It's nice having different flavors to choose from. :)

8. Don L

Don L Member

V30s were my favorites.

9. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Is there a big difference between v30s and Greenbacks?

10. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Huge...

Greenbacks sound far more warm and "muffled" to me with less low end ability as the V30s

V30s have more of a sparkle/grind to them.

Joe bonamassa was quoted as mentioning he really enjoys 2 greenbacks and 2 V30s in his cabs..."the greenbacks for that warmth in bright rooms, and the V30s to add extra sizzle in dull sounding rooms"

I tried g12h30s in my two rock cab (when I had it) and I found it to be rather dark sounding compared to the V30s. It seemed like certain upper frequencies were missing for some reason. Its probably because i'm used to v30s, but nothing so far has beaten V30s with my jubilee.... YET.:)

11. Troubleman

Thanks for the insight. I've been really bumming over using my 2555 on gigs. Two herniated and degenerative disks in my back have really limited my ability to cart around a heavy 4x12 (the budda prototype i use when i do play out with it is HEAVY - depleated uranium heavy), and I absolutely agree with you about the MV choking it down. That said, I haven't tried jumpering the FX loop (as soon as i get home today however; if it works, i'll gig with it tonight!!!) as you suggested. I've been using a DrZ Airbrake, even at bigger venues, because I tend to run the amp at about 85% - LOTS of stage volume unattenuated. Maybe jumpering the FX loop will make that unnecessary. I thought of using speakers that would break up earlier, but that killed clean headroom and made the tone harsh when I did need greater volume... I've owned the amp since before Slash/Guns-n-Roses became popular, probably since 1988, back when Scott Henderson used one with Tribal Tech. I do love the thing. I'll give it one more effort. Not sure what I'll do about cabinets. Have you tried any of Bogner's 2x12 cabs? Perhaps a Marshall 1965 (4x10)? You might not find it possible, but my prototype Budda 4x12 (Prescription Audio Tailoring - Jeff Bober's amp repair company) actually weights more than a Bogner 4x12. I tried a Budda Superdrive 45 (extremely cool!) through a Bogner 4x12 at a local guitar haunt recently, and came away extremely impressed with both. Thus encouraged, I shall not abandon my 2555 just yet!

Thanks - and whatever the heck you're doing, keep it up!

Peace,

jb:dude

12. Troubleman

Red Planet,

Is that a closed back or open back Bogner cabinet you're using?

jb

13. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I would probably take a bogner 2x12 anyday. I've heard them, and apart from some sound dispersment, feel they hold up tone-wise to the 4x12 counterparts just as well. Might be a great option for you.

jumping the back won't do all THAT much. I just noticed it thickens the sound. Let us know what you find out.

Man, you run that jubilee a little overboard. 85%? that really isnt necessary. If you have to attenuate the jubilee, you may be missing some decent tones at a lower setting. The MV does choke it ever so slightly, but not enought that I would attenuate the amp just to crank it. MOst of the jubilee's overdrive is coming from the diode clipping "gov'nur" circuit inside, and move volume won't necessarily make it better.

what was your impressions of the budda in comparing to a jubilee? I've been looking for an alternative to my jubilees for a long time, and have been eyeballing those for a while. I know I shouldn't, but its because Joe B. swears by the jubilees, and has recently fallen in love with Budda amps...which makes me raise an eyebrow, and wonder if it might be a great upgrade from the Marshalls for me....

14. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

NOT to leave the conversation... I own a few Jubilee's as well. It is my shared opinion (with Joe Bonamassa) that they are rated a little higher than their actual output. I feel the 2555 is a 40/80 (instead of 50/100). And I'm more of a lower wattage amp and mic it through the PA...it works well for me. I run a 2558 most of the time live and run it on 5 with the 50 watt setting.

I'm not much of a speaker tinkerer (yet) so I can't comment other than I like the speakers in my 2558. But I like a warm silky tone...

15. mmorse

mmorse Member

I have a 2550 that I run at half power most of the time for home use. At half power, I lose a little low end depth. I was having a hard time getting a decent sound out of it and was about ready to sell it. I decided to mess with it a little more. At 25 watts, the MV needs to be up around 3 or 4 o'clock. The gain around 3 o'clock with diode engaged, mids and base up with the treble about 10 o'clock. I keep the presence off. To me the presence just exagerates the diode fizzy thing.

I put an old Ibanez AD9 delay through the loop with just a touch of delay and a sniper modded Boss GE7 EQ with the bass and mid sliders up just a touch and the high and levels sliders left flat with no boost. Run through an Avatar 212 with Scumback Sa12H75s, my Strat sounds really nice. Classic rock crunch with nice solo boost through the switched lead channel. All at home volume levels. It's less convincing with my LP though. Not sure if I would use it at gigs. My '82 2204 is a classic rock tone machine that is hard to beat. But I'm no longer thinking of selling it.
    :BEER

16. Troubleman

I'm scouring known sources for a Bogner 2x12 with V30's. There's a Bogner 4x12 still sitting at one of my fav guitar haunts. My back twitches when I think about it.

Jumpering the FX loop - I'll take whatever I can get. I'll let you know how much of a difference I hear

Jubilee at 85% - it worked, and well at an outdoor festival. Didn't want to have to mess with anything other than the AirBrake attenuation level, so that's what I've been doing. It seems to "sing" more if the master volume is near its upper end. There also seems to be more compression-sag when I really smack the strings on my Strats. Curious - do you use the pull-out clipping control at all?

Budda - Presently I gig with a Twinmaster 4x10 combo (sorta goofin' around with a Fuchs Blackjack 21 - Jeff Bober told me on the phone the other day, he made exactly one 4x10 twinmaster combo in tweed. I own it). I LOVE its clean input with a Strat (hi-gain input is awesome as well). Strat volume on about 6 produces MONSTER cluck tones with bridge-middle pickup combo selected, and perfect SRV tones with middle-neck pickups selected. I liked all of the Superdrive Series amps, but there was something magically wonderful about the Superdrive 45 - wonderful sparkle and chime with a Strat (awesome "cluck" tones as well), and the lead channel is quite remarkable. Overall, it's probably one of my fav Budda amps. It does everything very, very well. It can do a Voxy-type thing with the clean channel turned up a bit; clean channel turned down - Fenderish. Clean channel cranked - almost tweed Fenderish. The lead channel lives in Beano-era Clapton toneville, unless you set it for "modern", in which case it'll crunch with the best of 'em. I was very impressed with it, and I know Budda amps pretty well. I was all set to pounce on that Superdrive 45 when my daughter's english teacher announced a summer trip to the UK for her class. My daughter's a straight-A student, never a problem, doesn't really ask for much (okay, she latched onto my coral-pink '62 reissue strat - she now owns it), and is definitely a daddy's girl (stop laughing, this may happen to you one day). Soooo..... Budda Superdrive 45 on the back-burner for a bit. That said, the Bogner cab I ran it through - VERY impressive. VERY, VERY impressive.

Thanks for your help. I've "almost" sold the 2555 a few times, only to realize that it is simply one wonderful amp. If I can just get it to behave at small venue volumes.

Hey - do you use both channels of your amp, or just the lead channel?

thanks!

jb

17. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Hey dude My Bogner is a closed back.

I had an open back at one time and sold it. Decided to get another and they nonly had the closed back in stock. Both sound good. I think I like the sound of the open back better but the close back has better power handling.

I believe you can order a conversion from Bogner to be able to do either.

18. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

So it sounds like the v30s are the clear favorite with this amp.

19. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

I mixed a V30 and a 12H30 in my closed back 2x12 cab that I run my Jub through. Sounds pretty dag good!

20. Troubleman

I did try jumpering the FX loop. Surprisingly, it did make a difference. Not huge mind you, but it did make a difference. Running it at a lower volume with the gain up works if you don't use lots of pedals (i do), or if you carefully balance the pedals in your pedalboard for the Jubilee. I found that it really does need a certain amount of gas to get the harmonics multiplying. Surprisingly, that point is much easier to attain when the amp is run in 100 watt mode. That magical level is just about the maximum for small clubs in which I usually play. It was akin to walking a hungry bengal tiger on a leash through a dogshow of poodles - gotta be extremely mindful or it'll get outta hand in a hurry. Somehow, adding a bit of steam via a pedal can either do just that - add a bit of steam and sing to the tone, or for whatever reason, push the amp to nuclear proportions. Having my Strat volume knob at say 6 and hitting a pedal produced the desired results. Having the volume knob on my Strat at say 7 or almost eight (only slight difference without the pedal) then hitting the same pedal at the same pedal & amp settings produced a HUGE volume leap. Power amp hit an adrenaline rush, the bengal tiger on the leash just ate Fluffy. This does not happen when I play the amp "at volume", or really push it and use an attenuator. In either of those cases it responds as expected. Maybe I just need to carefully tweak my pedal board for Jubilee time and mark the settings, or use the Jubilee by itself sans pedals - just the guitar's volume knob.... That said, it is such a wonderful amp.

peace,

jb