Speakers for Super Reverb

killa j

Silver Supporting Member
I just acquired a '64 Super Reverb, and I'm giddy like a little kid on Christmas. It doesn't have original speakers, but they are 1968 CTS alnico speakers. This is my second vintage amp, but the first was a head, so I have no experience with old speakers. I did read on here somewhere that the old alnico speakers can be easy to damage (which would explain why you see non-original speakers so often). So I'm thinking I should use a different set of speakers for gigging and keep the alnicos all safe and cozy for when I record something.

I like the description (and price) of the Eminence George Allesandro 10" speakers. Has anyone tried them with a SR or other blackface amp? Are the speakers even something I need to worry about?

Muzzy

Silver Supporting Member
I've seen a lot of old supers with the cts speakers in them and they're still going strong. As long as you're not running the amp at full bore you should be ok.

batfish

the speakers in the super reverb reissue are Jensen P10r Alnico. For a little more money, Jensen has a P10r-f, which is supposed to sound like an old, broken in p10r. The latter option is interesting to me because of thei low efficiency (92.5db) which might allow one to turn up just a little more. The latter speaker was used in the 20th anniversary Vibro-King and the 57 bandmaster reissue, both custom shop amps. either of those options would be pretty expensive, though.

I think the speakers you have are considered the best for that amp, but I can understand wanting to preserve them.

zenas

I'd be looking at WGS Veteran 10s. But I've never tried them in my SR. Just what I'd look into is all.

Stratobuc

I'm so glad you started this thread, OP, because I have the same questions. I recently acquired a '69 drip-edge SR with replacement speakers. The original CTS came with the amp, but it has some Mojotone ceramic speakers by Eminence in it now. My amp is at my tech's place being restored to silverface specs, and I want to have the CTS speakers refurbished so I can reinstall them at some point. I understand Weber is a good place to have this service done to your old speakers.

rmconner80

Cantankerous Luddite
Gold Supporting Member
If those are CTS alnicos: IMHO there is no finer speaker for that amp.

If not, you may be able to do better. I love the Eminence 1028K in a 4x10, probably would be my first choice. Dealers have them on ebay and you can sometimes get a bit of a price break if you pick up a quad.

Stratobuc

I believe mine are the CTS alnicos. They have a square cover over the magnet on the back, and were the original speakers that came with that amp which dates Jan. '69 from the chassis serial #.

mscotts

What?!
Gold Supporting Member
Yep nothing sounds like those old CTS Alnicos with the AB763 circuit. Match made in heaven...
If I only had to have one amp, that'd be the one.

De Batz

I've got the reissue Jensen P10Rs in a 4x10 cab. I don't have a Super Reverb (yet) but I do use a Mesa Boogie that has relatively similar 'blackface' kind of sound. I have, so far, found the P10Rs to be pretty good all round, especially in the range of not-quite-clean to not-very-dirty. I've tried them with more of a distortion sound (MI Audio Crunchbox, since you ask, now pretty much deceased...) and the top end was horrific. I've tried them with the tweed/Marshall channel of the HB and they sound superb, better than for the cleaner side.
They're a bit clanky relative to the smoothly assured power of the combo speakers (Black Shadow Celestions) and less growly than the Greenback-alike Taydens I've also tried it with. But in an open-backed 4x10, I find them more than acceptable, especially considering they are much the cheaper option than, say, the Eminence 1028s. I just wouldn't try them with lots of preamp-y distortion, but then that's not what you get with the Super. Generally, they're quite quick (as in, not laid-back), treble-biased, can be a bit 'screamy' with too much high end elsewhere in the chain. They're not generally well-regarded, it seems, but I've been happy with mine.

djd100

+1, my 71 SR is still going strong with it's OEM CTS Alnicos.

I've seen a lot of old supers with the cts speakers in them and they're still going strong. As long as you're not running the amp at full bore you should be ok.

Last edited:

Rhythm Rocker

Another nod to 10" CTS alnicos. I have the original in my '79 SFPR.
That's my kitchen amp. Plug in my Strat and it melts my stress away.

If you don't want to gig your CTS speakers, I'd get Jensen P10R alnicos.

killa j

Silver Supporting Member
Looks like I'll just keep playing the speakers already in it then. Simple enough. I worry about stuff too much sometimes.

throbert

Original cone CTS Alnicos are great in a Super and the Alessandro's 10's are an excellent choice also.

Trending Topics