Speakers for super reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jamon, Dec 17, 2009.

1. jamon

jamon Member

I was wondering your input on speaker option for a super reverb. 10 inch speakers. I am partial to the sounds of trey from phish, brendan bayliss from umphreys mcgee, al from moe. and so on. I would like the speakers to break up later, in order to give me more clean headroom. I am also not that into extremely bright sounds, and would like a sweet sound thats great for legato and jazz fusion as well. Any suggestions? Anyone have opinions... eminence patriot series? Celestions?

2. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I haven't tried any of these personally but if I had a super and wanted cleaner, not too bright, jambandy sounds i'd look here first:

weber michigan 10
    Weber Silver 10
    or other weber

all the 10's i've heard from celestion and emi weren't that great as far as later breakup and clarity with full bass. I haven't tried the little buddy or ramrod though.

3. jamon

jamon Member

4. dB

dB Member

Tone Tubby H Bomb would probably be the ideal solution, albeit the most expensive.

5. jamon

jamon Member

are eminence any good, or would tone tubby be better?

6. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I would go with Eminence Lil' Buddy hemp cone speakers, often Super Reverbs have so much treble they will take your head off and the hemp cone speakers smooths out the top end and they don't breakup till your at a pretty high volume. I use the 12" version (Cannabis Rex) in my 65 Amps 212 cab and they sound amazing.

7. jamon

jamon Member

Anyone else for the lil buddy?

8. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with the Eminence hemp cone speakers, they are great!

Just so you know, Tone Tubby makes the cones for the Eminence hemp cone speakers :)

9. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

the Jensen blackbirds sound pretty good.

10. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

I recently installed 4 of the speakers THD was blowing out on eBay and I like them a lot, although I'm not familiar with the players you mentioned in your post, so I couldn't say if they would nail the sound you're after. It was hard to not give them a try at $50 and about $30 shipping for a set of 4. There's a thread posted about them on here somewhere ~

11. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Find some original CTS alnico speakers from the 60,s for your super and you will delight in the toneage!!!
    Also the older Kendrick alnicos where pretty good also.