1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speakers For Twin Reverb - Advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by alamancelaw, Feb 10, 2008.

1. alamancelaw

alamancelaw Supporting Member

I've got a '74 Silverface Fender Twin Reverb that someone put Bandmaster speakers in (2x12)... They are crapping out on me.. Anyone got advice as to which speakers I should replace them with??? Someone said that the Jensen c12n was a good replacement.. Some people suggest Celestions....

2. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

JBLs and get a roady. :eek:

[​IMG]

3. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

We have a Emi Tonker/Weber California combination in our '69. It has been out with two different bands (classic rock) and both bands guitarists said it "sounded like a Twin". I imagine a pair of either one of these would also work well. At first we had a Emi Texas Heat paired up with the Tonker. Tone was excellent, but the TH was fartting out with the volume over 8 on the dial. Maybe I have a bad one, Texas Heat's are rated at 150 watts. Me and our tech still need to look into that problem.
    There are a lot of choices out there, "clamdip7714" made the classic suggestion.
    Good Luck

4. alamancelaw

alamancelaw Supporting Member

Thanks a lot.. I guess the JBLs would be easier to get my hands on.. Any good speaker is gonna cost a little bit, huh?

5. ROKY

ROKY Member

A Twin with the volume on "8" ?

Yikes !

6. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I put two Eminence Tonkerlite's in my twin reverb and it sounds wonderful!! Plus the the Tonkerlite's weigh 4 lbs each, this gives a total weight of ~50lbs for the Twin Reverb, so it's much easier to carry around.

7. rcboals

rcboals Supporting Member

Altec 417C or JBL's

8. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

Weber NeoMags = JBL D120F tone and feel

This, IMO, is the way to go.

Use them in a custom combo and cabs.

Light and toneful.

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I've never commented on Twin Reverbs with my speakers cuz I never knew anyone who ordered any for one. Recently, a fairly well known producer's assistant called me to rave about his H75-LHDC speakers. Apparently he put those into the producer's Twin, and said it made the amp come alive. They'd been using it in the studio for months on many sessions and movie projects.

I guess it must have worked well because a guitarist from England was using it in the studio and wanted the same speakers for his amp in the UK (or wherever), so they're placing an order for two to go...to the United Kingdom. They were the 65 watt HP models.

To be honest I can't say I've tried them in a Twin Reverb, but this client apparently was happy as a pig in $hit over the tone with his. And with that I'll bow out...

The other options, JBL's, Altec Lansings, etc. as long as they can handle the power will also work with a Twin.