Speakers: how does magnet size affects tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by abnerfm, Apr 3, 2015.

1. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

Hi, guys

Went to a guitar shop yesterday and saw some Scumback speakers for sale. To be honest, I was thinking to myself "Aren't those magnets too little?" (35 Oz on he Scumback versus 55 Oz on my Eminence Wizard). Although I know magnet size is not the only factor that contributes to the tone/feel of a speaker, I would like to know how it affects the tone. Thanks in advance.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

H series are more efficient than the M series. And H has bigger/tighter low end.

3. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

Size always matters

4. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Agree.

That said, impressive looking magnets can be wasted big time, (not the case of Eminence or Celestion and similar level ones of course), but almost always in cheap chinese speakers.

They often have HUGE magnets (bought in bulk, at cost, from an across the road also Chinese supplier they are inexpensive to them) which you can see; what you don't is that they have cheap to machine and build large gaps, where magnetic energy is wasted, does not work efficiently with the voice coil pushing the cone back and forth.

I've seen lots of poorly sounding (dull, boomy, lifeless) chinese speakers with large magnets; reconing some (mostly out of curiosity) I found wide gaps.

Which of course make manufacturing easier and cheaper, and minimizes rejects, even a poorly centered voice coil will not scratch .

So in a nutshell: magnet size is important, but not always tells all the Truth.

Choose the reputable manufacturer any day of the week.

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

It's more complex than mag size. and one big variable is "at what volume". A crappy little magnet Jensen P10R will sound ice pick clean and sterile at bedroom volume. Cranked it will sound like a wet noodle....
    Yet a big EV 12 with a huge magnet may sound clean and sterile also....