Speakers: Tens vs Twelves

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by david henman, May 18, 2006.

1. david henman

david henman Member

...i have often thought of switching from 12" speakers to 10"s, especially lately. in a playing context, i often find that the amout of low end from my 1-12 combo just occupies too much space relative to the rest of the band, and muddies things up. as well, i find the low end somewhat loose and flabby. will switching to (two) tens resolve these issues, and provide a tighter, more focused and more articulate low end. or should i just shut up and play :NUTS?

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

Do a search somehow for this. We discussed the merits of 10's many times and in detail.

I for one am a huge fan of 2x10's I have two 2x10 cabs right now. One with two 30 watt alnico Blue Pups and one with two 25 watt 10F150's. Both are Killer.

The cabs are www.jdesigncabs.com

3. spikeRI

spikeRI Member

Reeek, try combining one of your blues with one of the P10N's..........I've got that combination going in a lightning clone and its unreal. Never been a 10' fan till now and I originally wanted to do the traditional blue/silver deal but ended up with the P10N(a mix up that ended up being a real winner)

4. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

David,

2x10's are fantastic - no argument there. But how many different twelves have you tried so far? They vary an awful lot...

5. Reeek

Reeek Member

Thanks for the tip, spikeRI. I'll give that a shot this weekend!

6. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I'm using a custom-built 2x10 cab with one Emi Legend 105 and one Celestion G10S-50. That's a great sounding combo!

7. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

I love 10's and have modified my main 1x12 combo cab over to two 10's (with a glued baffleboard, it was NOT easy). Absolutely worth it for me.

That said, unless you really want the vibe 10's will give you, you may be better off with a quality 12" speaker to tighten up low end and add some chime. It certainly would be easier and less expensive. I have to second Ben F. on that point.

Good luck,
    Scott L.

8. david henman

david henman Member

...i've never experimented with speakers. my traynor combo has a celestion vintage 30.

probably what i should do is simply rent a 2-10 cab for a couple of months and unplug the v30.

9. Hustafaben

Hustafaben Member

If you've never experimented, you should definitely get out there and play through some speakers! Celestion V30s are a decent speaker, but there are so many other choices. Also remember that if you're using an open backed cab, the bass sound can seem more open while a closed back cab focuses the sound a lot more and a lot better.

10. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

One of the best sounding cabs I ever played was an old Marshall 4x10 cab many years ago. It sounded KILLER. I currently run all 4x12 cabs and am extremely happy, but I would love to pick up a 4x10 that sounded that good someday if I could find another one.

11. david henman

david henman Member

...good point. in fact, there is a 1-12 closed-back cab designed specifically to run with my traynor combo and the word is that it absolutely transforms it.

:JAM

12. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I go back and forth on this. For a loud stage, the 3x10 bandmaster type format seems perfect to me. You get punchy bass -- as usual from 10's -- but bigger than 2x10. More portable than 4x10. At the same time, I love the wider, rounder kind of bass you get out of 12s. I can't choose, so have to have both.

13. riffy

riffy Member

I have one of those babies now... It is one of if not THE best sounding cab I have ever played though.

Gary

14. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

How about trying an Ayan smooth & slim?

gb

15. ScreaminKing

ScreaminKing Member

I have a Laney VC30 2x10 combo, and I traded out the speakers for a Jensen C10Q and P10Q. Sounds awesome!

16. SAMIAM

SAMIAM Member

My predictiment is that I love , absolutely love the "characteristics" of 10's but am hopelessly addicted to the Green Back tone, I have been looking for a good g10-35L to try as I'm told it's the closest thing to a GB in a 10...
    They make so many 12's it's practically overkill , but if you're a 10" fan your options are limited.
    If there exists a "british voiced" (as GreenBack like as possible with the unmistakeable greenie "crunch"), with low efficiency (97 dbs or below) rated for 15-25 watts(max) 10"er , please point me in that direction !!!What bothers me is the efficient , highpowered trend- I would love to find a 93 db ,5 watt 10" (gotta be britished voiced), but realize this isn't likely to happen!!!

17. Reeek

Reeek Member

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that Ted Weber will create a custom speaker based on requested specs. It may be worth a try . . .

18. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Availablity of 10s vs 12s may also be a bit of an issue. Celestion makes a couple, Eminence makes around 10, but the most variety of 10s is from Weber. Weber also makes ceramic and alnico versions of most speakers. They ship to T.O by USPS, so you pick it up form CanadaPost which charges GST and PST plus $5 Cdn brokerage.

19. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I have/had been a 12" speaker snob for years until I plugged into a Supro 3/10 Tremolectric.......I'm hooked....Outdoor concerts, indoor clubs,,,,,nothing like great 10's

20. Seegs

Seegs Member

I got my Fargen Dual Classic combo made in 2001 with 1X12 and 1x10" speakers and love the tonal possiblities...it was hard to get the different speakers to compliment one another and I almost went broke buying and selling speakers but I finally ended up with an Cannabis Rex and Copperhead which sound great together...

Chow,
    Seegs