Speakers to Fatten up 2x12 cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DiazDude, Dec 29, 2005.

1. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

I have a 2x12 Soldano cab w/Celestion Vintage 30's.
    I alternate between a Soldano SLO-100 & Diaz CD-100 heads.
    I'd like to get more low end out of the cabinet and am looking for
    advise. I have a 4x12TV Marshall w/G12H's and I love the sound of it. But now that there are so many options for speakers out there, I'd like to hear different opinions.
    Thanks

2. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Really and truly for a no compramise beefy low end with balls to spare speaker you need a Mesa Boogie Celestion Black Shadow 90 watter.

3. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Pair of 65 watt H model Scumbag's.

4. FredW

FredW Member

I agree with Big Mike, The Scumbag H's are the best I have found. I love the 55Hz, has a smoother top end. I get a big kick out of Jim every time I talk to him, Great Guy

5. Roe

Roe Member

+1 perhaps one with bass cone (55hz)

6. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

If you're on a bit of a budget and can't swing the Scumbacks, try pairing a 30 watt Hellatone(g12h) from Avatar with the V30.....helps take away some of the mid harshness you get with two V30's, and adds a some nice low end as well. Dave "pre ages" the speaker- sounds great right out of the box, and it's the same price as a regular g12h.

7. straticus

straticus Member

I play through a closed back 2x12 with a Weber ceramic blue dog and a G12H30 ri. Sounds pretty fat to me. But I'll be trading them out for my new Scumback H75's later today!

Merry Christmas to me!

I'll report back with an up-date.

BC :)

8. Roe

Roe Member

there is a sale on scumbags now. you could just change one speaker. g12h and v30 is a classic combo. the other speakers mentioned here are fine, but they won't handle a 100w amp.

9. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I bought a 2x12 Zinky here on the forum and had some G12H30's in it but didn't think it had enough low end...especially compared to my GFlex with MC90's in it...but I didn't really want to go with another pair of MC90's, so I put in a pair of Cannabis Rex' and they really sound great in that cab. Much fatter and smoother than the Celestions.

10. Roe

Roe Member

g12h30 RI are quite different from the bass cones or scumbacks

11. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Yup, Scumbacks are far better than the equivolent G12H30 reissue...

12. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

If, and only if, you have a closed-back cabinet for it, the Eminence Swamp Thang is great for heavy bottom-end, and it pairs nicely with a Vintage 30... I use a Swamp Thang with an Eminence Gov'nor, a V30 clone. Of course, my cab is split so that the Swamp Thang is sealed by itself and the Gov'nor is open-backed. But I know the Swamp Thang is a ballsy speaker...

13. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

Thanks to all who have replied.
    Based on info and great q&a w/Jim @
    South Bay I ordered a H75/H55-HP mix for my 2x12.
    I'll post the results when they arrive and installed.
    :AOK

14. Wallace

Wallace Silver Supporting Member

I have an Avatar 2X12. The lows really opened up when I tried it with an open back. (V30's). The only problem with that is if there is no wall to reflect the sound behind it, you lose all your bass response. The cab also sounds very different in each room and and even worse on an outdoor stage.

I contacted Dave at Avatar recently and asked him about putting the closed back on and porting the front of my 2X12. He told me that he experimented with the idea and it would definately do the trick.

A drill and a 2.5" hole saw then some black spraypaint. Try one at the bottom (of the face board between the speakers) and if that isn't enough then do a second at the top.

This will "unlock" the low end and liven up the cab alot. My cab now sounds huge and "breathes". The bass response is predictably consistant out the front. Before and after comparisons were, for me, a no-brainer...It sounded so much better. Before I cut the first hole, the cab sounded compressed and "constipated"! This really kicks butt with the V30's! I will be seeking the Mesa 90 watt speakers next as they have a respected rep as well. :)

Oh yeah, the amps I'm using: Custom Audio OD 100 w/JJ EL34's, Demeter TGA-3 100 w/JJ EL34's (or Sovteck 5881's) and another Demeter TGA-3 75w w/Ruby EL34's.

Wallace