Speakers!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scott944, May 18, 2015.

1. scott944

scott944 Member

So, here's the short version: I've heard an upper midrange "clank" on the plain strings of all my guitars (PRS Standard 22, much modded MIM Strat, Eastman T386), especially the Eastman, since putting my current rig together. I play 99% of the time at home and at church in a "no stage volume / iso cab / IEM" situation, so I don't need much volume. Setup is guitar>pedalboard>Blackheart Little Giant head>Lopo 2x12. The speaker in the Randall iso cab is a Vintage 30. The "clank" doesn't happen with the iso cab, but there is so much other stuff going on in the signal path (mic, PA, etc), I never really connected the dots to the speaker. A few weeks ago, I took the Eastman (since it's the worst offender) to a local Fender/Peavey/Blackstar dealer and plugged into a bunch of amps. No clank. Gotta be my speakers, yes? The speakers in the cab, which I bought used at MGR for next to nothing, were Eminence model 12730 (used by Fender and, perhaps, Mesa), and carry no OEM branding. So...lucked into a couple of WGS speakers locally on FB, a Veteran 30 and a Reaper, in nearly new condition. The resulting tone is just fantastic! All the clank is gone, there's more volume (the WGS stuff is more efficient), and I can actually is the treble knob on my amp and pedals. I'd read here that speakers make a bigger difference than many expect - I'm a believer!

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Yep - I am a speaker geek myself. Maybe the most important part of the rig!

SixStringInMyHand likes this.
  3. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Not everyone has had that epiphany yet.
    I know a guy who plugs an early 80s LP custom into an early 80s jcm 800, and then into......a stock MG cab.
    All that amazing gear wasted going into a cab made for 13 year olds to play djent on.

4. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Theirs this band i love to go watch......all great players and chemistry and very popular. Perfect.....except for the guitarists tone.
    The first 5 times i saw them he was running a newer LP Gold top into a basic board into a late 70's jmp 2203 into a vintage Marshall 4x12.
    Should be the tone of the Gods,right??......horrid, horrid muddy,Ice picky yuk.
    At the 5th gig i ask him about his rig,and when he gets to the cab i ask what speakers? ?.......Peavey Scorpions! !!!!!
    The look on my face must have said heaps cause the next time i saw them he sounded like a 70's rock God.....thanks to the GB's he put in the cab.
    Speakers are VERY important.

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Yep, as long as your roughly in the ballpark with your choice of amps, finding the right speakers for you and your playing style is easily 70% of the formula for good tone.