Speaking of Fuzz, Best Fuzz for Queens of the Stone Age/Fu-Manchu Sound?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Josh O, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

I have a Keeley Fuzz Face which is a cool pedal in itself and with the way I have the internals dialed in, I can get a great Rev. Gibbons tone and a good enough take on Hendrix with both the Fuzz Head and a Keeley modded Boss DS-1 working in tandem but what fuzz would be the best for that stoner type fuzz, specifically Queens of the Stone Age (I'm listening to How to Handle a Rope from the first QOTSA album to give you an idea of what I'm looking for) or even Fu-Manchu.

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Josh Homme's tone is pure cranked Ampeg V4 or a VT22 with a SD-1 for boost. The guys in Fu Manchu used Fuzz Faces and Big Muffs early on I believe. Past few years I believe they have been going straight into Marshall DSL's. I've heard the Foxx Tone Machine will do a close Queens tone. You might also look into the Catalinbread Super CHarged Overdrive.

3. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

The SCOD may do the trick for QOTSA if you turn the gain right down. Josh doesn't use that much gain IMO, it's hust a low tuning and a cranked, loud amp. You might get a better result with some low-gain od.

Fu-Manchu early stuff is guite easily attainable with a muff. I haven't eaven listened to them for a couple of years so I don't know where they've gone tonally.

4. Madsman

Madsman Member

Dude, there's definitely fuzz pedals going on on a lot of QotSA... especially the newer stuff. Anyone know SPECIFICALLY what pedals they're using? Not knocking the "cranked amp" answers, because that's part of it, but I mean some of the tunes are using octave fuzz and some are using regular fuzz... you can tell when 2 notes are played together.

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I know that Troy uses D*A*M Meathead and Red Rooster. Check the user section of www.stompboxes.co.uk for apic of Troy with his Meathead.

6. cheng&eng

cheng&eng Member

Dont know if he uses it or not, but I seem to recall over on the D*A*M website there is a picture of one of those QOTSA dudes holding a Drag'n'fly

stompboxes.co.uk/

that fu manchu*(at least the older stuff) is most definitely a big muff

7. cheng&eng

cheng&eng Member

oops. I guess it's not the drag'n'fly

8. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I can nail it with the D*A*M meathead into my matamp.

9. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Lots of QOTSA has fuzz.The guitar to amp thing is a myth.Josh is very secrective of his setup & a known gearhead,that rotates his pedalboard regularly.
    The guy from Fu Manchu use to use the Royal fuzz wah for years till it was stolen alone with a bunch of other gear.Sence then they went through many fuzzes including Big Muffs tring to recapture the Royals tone.
    There now useing Dan Armstrong plexi guitars strieght into Marshall exclusivly.
    I have been in & out of stoner rock bandsfor years.
    I used a Ronsound Stone Machine (Foxx clone) w/great success for both bands.A low octave comes in handy for some stuff too.
    A Big Muff or any Si fuzz with low mid & tons of low end & gian should get you there.Tuning down & cranking your amp always helps.

10. mongosork

mongosork Member

Joe Barresi says about recording Fu manchu's king of the road
    "Scott had this crasy old univox fuzz pedal that broke, but I had a Supafuzz which is what he ended up using on the whole record. He loved it so much, he went out and bought a couple for the road. Bob was using fuzzface."

11. Josh O

Josh O Member

Gotta find a DAM dealer, the Meathead looks like it would foot the bill at least in the size department as I only have an MXR box size space to work with on my board.

12. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

13. mbutler

mbutler Member

I've seen Josh use a Matchless Hotbox before.

14. Josh O

Josh O Member

That "SludgeFeast" Meathead sound clip on their website is exactly what I'm looking for and apparantly that was pedal only, the amp was dialed in clean. The only downside I see to this pedal is no indicating LED, I'm a bit of a simpleton!

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

honestly, a Peter Green pickup mod! :eek:

with an LP, flip the magnets in one of the p'ups ala greenie's out of phase sound, use the middle position on the selector, and roll back the treble on the bridge pup.

it can emulate, no... NAIL, homme's overdriven tones thru any amp.

16. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

You could custom order one with a LED. David is very flexible. Not to mention he does amazing work.

17. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Yes, he's also got a "meathead deluxe" coming out thats really cool too.

18. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

Superfuzz covers a **** tone of ground. Fu, Nebula, QOTSA, Brant Bjork...pretty sure from the tones that this pedal has been part of all these player rigs at one point or another.
    As for Homme... imho his tone and style are very much derived from Mario Lalli's sound.

19. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

Oh and it should be mentioned that Brad from the Fu builds wicked fuzzes under the brand name Creepy Fingers.

20. JesterR

JesterR Member