• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Speaking of hi-def audio -- what are you using?

Social Exodus

Lone Wolf in Idaho
Silver Supporting Member
Since the "Neil Young catalog" thread generated some discussion of this, I was wondering what the current state of hi-def audio is out there. Personally, I have been using streaming services, an older MP3 player and my Android smartphone to listen to music for some time now but it is definitely lackluster sound IMHO. The best part of my "system" is a set of Shure SE-210 in ear headphones that sound pretty good and block nearly all ambient noise effectively. I can even mow the lawn with these in and not exceed the limiting function on my MP3 player.

So in any event, I am "in the market" for a hi-definition digital audio player. I know about Pono (obviously since I started the "Neil" thread, but what else is out there? More to the point for you is what, if anything are you using to enjoy excellent sound quality, hi dynamic range music these days? Used to be we sat down with a great set of cans in front of our Yamaha (or Pioneer or whatever) hi-fi systems and spaced out to DSOTM lol, so what equals that in today's world?

Multicellular

I use studio monitors And an eq. I rip things to the networked HD as Wavs. $700 system, sounds better than the $3000 one I got a year after getting my first post college job In the 1990s.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Since about 2007, I have been using Cowon players, which play .flac files. I have an old A3 with an 80 gig drive that's pretty sweet.

Just yesterday a coworker told me about an iPhone app by Onkyo called HF player. It works great on his iPhone 6. I haven't had a chance to try it just yet. But, I'm sure I will.

dansworld

Gold Supporting Member
I play my FLAC files through my OPPO Bluray player, which doubles as my SS processor. Sounds amazing!

fredgarvin

I play my FLAC files through my OPPO Bluray player, which doubles as my SS processor. Sounds amazing!
Those Oppos are very nice, I still have my DVD player from several years back. It'll play and upsample any DVD from around the world, and the audio is great.

soulohio

would the OPPO sound better than straight from my Mac to a PreSonus 2 channel USB DAC?

maxVsf

For portable, I'm using a FiiO X3 which will play pretty much all hi-res files. It is loaded with AIFFs at CD Redbook quality, and higher up to DSD64. Home digital play is with a Mac Mini as dedicated music server, JRiver Media Center software, iDSD Nano DAC. Phones are Grado SR325e.

An Oppo universal player that I play my SACDs through.

Before the terminology gets too muddied, CDs are not hi-res, nor are FLACs, unless those FLACs came from hi-res files.

Tylenol Jones

Hi-Def audio is one of the most misunderstood concepts in the industry.

People see numbers (96KHz) or fancy terms (Hi-Def) and think it'll automatically sound better. It doesn't. There are a lot of factors that come into play. Most people aren't familiar with the concept of prints. What is the source of the so-called hi-def audio? Is it sourced from the actual real masters or a third-string copy? Is the material worthy of hi-def to begin with? Metallica's St.Anger definitely does not qualify as an album that would benefit in any way from a genuine hi-def mastering, for instance.

Well, in some cases (much more than people like to admit), it sounds much worse than what is already available as it's compressed like crazy. The better versions are either on CD or vinyl.

There are some hi-def versions that kill but it's on a case-by-case basis. I strongly recommend people visit forums like stevehoffman.tv where people actually listen with their ears and talk about which versions sound the greatest to them. There's a wealth of info that isn't otherwise available as some of the people responsible for mastering or mixing famous albums partake in the conversations on occasion.

Finally, a portable player is the biggest waste, IMHO. You'll never have the quiet necessary to make out the subtle differences that would make it worth your while to listen to well crafted hi-def audio in the first place.

T Dizz

I got a few older Sony receivers.. 1 in hose and 1 in garage. they both work great. The house system runs a couple of Pioneer speakers and I spliced in a 10 inch Kicker sub ( for a car) and stuck it besides the couch. When we are watching a movie the whole couch vibrates.. much to our delight.

#ghettofabulous

Last edited:

Trending Topics