Speaking of Vibes ... seen this one?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheTrowerFreak, Oct 23, 2005.

1. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Well ..........the clips were not that Impressive to me but maybe its a lot better live. For me the Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe is what I like! Thanks for the link anyway!

2. erksin

erksin Member

The side mounted Speed control is a great idea - as long as you make room for it. I guess it would have to be placed first in line...

3. muddy

muddy Member

um-m-m, the clips don't sound too great, but joe is the worst at doing his own clips. i can't imagine he wouldn't have got this right, as he's been researching it for almost 2 years now, and he's really good at recreating all these vintage ped's. the speed pot on the side is ingenius! i can't believe no one has thought of this before! i'd love to hear how well his idea for the filters came out. sounded like a good idea originally. and he got it into such a small box! i'll bet it kicks ass! and it's competitively priced. i'm really happy with my mega-vibe, though, so i'm covered for vibes. though i WOULD love to get one of bob's mofaux vibes! :cool:

ml

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Actually I thought the Speed knob on the side was a bad place for it because now you have to add a pedal to control it so now ther goes some more precious pedalboard space When I used the Deja Vibe I can control the speed knob with my foot.

Oh well everyone has there preference but that pedal certainly doesnt meet my needs even if it sounds great I just dont like the layout.

5. Retroman

Retroman Member

You don't like the clips :eek: .... I can accept that :) I tend to touch a guitar .05% as often as a soldering iron lately....:mad:

WOW - it's been a while since I visited...

...Things have been absolutely nuts, so the samples were as good as I could get - I truly would have liked to have sent the UV out for other folks' samples, but I couldn't dally - VG needed that unit for some reviews...hope to see that in dec/jan issue.

It's a hard thing to capture fully, but you should get a feel for the stereo effect....that was my goal.

As for the side mounted control.....you don't need an external pedal - you can use one, but otherwise use your foot to roll the knob toward you (faster) or push away (slower) -

The LED changes color when "Live" or "Bypassed"....but blinks in time all the while.

The UberVibe should have been available by now, but the particular LDR I chose (only one I liked - very similar to the originals I reverse engineered) has been in very low supply - - - now "out" for another month....so I wait.

Look for some other new stuff very soon, including a combo pedal I developed at the behest of a certain famous touring guitarist (sorry....I won't drop names) - Can't really chat anymore on that one until he has some road time with it.

Please, if anyone has any questions regarding any products, please contact me directly at retromanATcharter.net (replace AT with @...trying to avoid some of the spam) - I just don't have the time to scour the boards and would hate to miss an opportunity to help someone with a question regarding the Retroman line-up.

Best regards,

Joe

6. theelectic

theelectic Guest

IIRC Maestro had big side mounted controls (including speed) on their Stage series of pedals which you could access with a foot.

I think the problem with the implementation of the side mounted Speed control on the vibe is that it doesn't stick out much to the side, and doesn't stick out much (if at all) above the top "face" of the pedal (where the other knobs are). This means if you're mounting things on a pedalboard, you have to leave 6-8" of foot space on the right to actually get to the Speed knob - you can't have another pedal right up against the knob if you want to use your foot. Either that, or the pedal has to be on the right side of a pedalboard.

7. TheTrowerFreak

TheTrowerFreak Member

Not to be a pig about this, but a few comments?

As unnecessary as it may seem to some people, well played clips that demonstrate the pedal fully are a definite plus. I see that CarlFia played the excellent Sybil clips - Uber clips from him would be appreciated.

As cool as Stereo is, most don't run two amps. It "better" sound great Mono. :D

Green as "Safe / OFF" and Red as "Live / ON" will be counter-intuitive to a lot of folks. ;)

The concerns about the Speed Knob location are valid and may cost you some sales.

MikeTTF

8. Retroman

Retroman Member

Point taken on the clips - I'll stick to making the pedals (or the Hammond) .... time to woodshed :)

You can run in mono - or stereo - most folks I employed for feedback during development loved the stereo feature for recording and live performance. But again, you can play mono just fine.

Selectable JFET Buffer - Use it or don't - it's a feature that some really like (brighter response vs. the vintage tone we all know)...more of a "modern/clean" tonality.

LED Color - thanks for the feedback - was working off feedback rec'd to date...from the old school of "green means pass" "red means live" in a recording vernacular - other feedback is more than welcome (mo data = betta data). Simple enough to swap two wires to satisfy a cusomer either way :D .

Speed knob - the knob location can be moved (within reason) for each individual customer - location was based upon opinion and feedback rec'd to date - option of a different side location or slightly larger side knob to achieve a slightly proud (relative to the top face) location would be no issue at all. :)

I live for feedback (...enough on the clips already :D) - for those who haven't dealt with me, customer satisfaction is #1 and my skin is tougher than concrete .... so this (and road trials whenever possible) is how the new stuff gets dialed before release and is constantly upgraded and improved over time ... so thanks for the opinions - every issue reveals an opportunity.

Best regards,

Joe

9. TheTrowerFreak

TheTrowerFreak Member

Wonderful attitude. You'll go far. :D

Optimizing to individual customer requests defines what I think is "Boutique".

Bravo.

MikeTTF

10. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Yeah a larger knob would be the ticket. Make it big enough that you don't scrape off the paint when you use it.

11. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

12. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

FWIW, I thought the clips sounded pretty cool.

13. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

I wonder what the headroom is like.

my problem with vibes is that i seem to overload em when i play with hot humbuckers!