Speaking of Vox Tone....Magic Amplification Brit 1X12 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tone Guru, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Member

I work in a studio and was looking for a great JMI Vox tone in a small package. My brother has a couple of real Vox AC30s that I am really familiar with. One is a Top Boost and one is a Treble model. I was looking for an amp that would sound good on its own and with pedals. I was also looking for an amp that would cover the ground between a treble channel and a Top Boost channel.

Most of the time I like just plugging straight into it, but I found it worked equally well with pedals. The layout is very simple...volume, treble, bass, master. I can get everything from Beatles, Brian May, Jimmy Page to Foo Fighters. The master is quite versatile and very usable and much better than an attenuator.

All my guitars sound equally great with the Brit. I had mine for about 10 months and I am extremely happy the amp. Under the hood, the chassis, circuit and layout is immaculate. The cabinet details are equal to the chassis and in the spirit of Vox. If you are looking for an old JMI tone in a small package, the Brit is hard to beat.

[​IMG]

2. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Looks cool. I will say the market is not lacking for good new AC30's as well as clones. Any website link with more info. (& maybe pricing)?

3. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

4. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

OK...I've been holding my tongue

Several forum members have these and absolutely adore them but we all promised to not talk about it because they currently were not available to the public.. apparently that's changing and he IS gonna start building them :dude

I've had mine for just a few months but it's RIDICULOUSLY good. At little more than half the power / output of my JMI AC-30s - the tone is all one could ask for.

Does it sound "boutique" ?? Not really IMHO. Thats why I love it

Does it sound "Vintage" ?? Yeah - like the best of the best JMIs.. WITH a great master volume , more gain on tap, and very interactive tone controls

Oh yeah.. and it doesnt make the room smell when its been on for an hour, I dont worry about it blowing up, and it's very giggable volume wise

Not a guitar in the bunch that doesnt sound killer thru it

oh yeah... and it's pretty to look at :drool

I dont think there is currently a website. Mike should chime in here soon enough. I will say that he's done work for many of the larger boutique amp manufacturers and this IS NOT "just another AC-30 clone". It is way more vintage feeling / sounding and is sorta like a KILLER 15 watt AC-30 Top Boost w/ more interactive tone controls. I've had Matchless, Bad cat, Dr Z..etc.. Those all all very nice amps. This is more like an OLD amp - like a very well maintained 60s JMI model that they never made

[​IMG]

5. 1964

1964 Member

> 'Does it sound "boutique" ??'

What does "boutique" sound like??

6. DANOCASTER

well...ok.. I'll give it a shot..maybe that wasnt the best possible word

TO ME..to MY ears..most of the "boutique" amps have a newer - more modern sound....slightly TIGHTER , a slightly brighter top end ??

I dunno..I guess its hard to describe

Have you played a Matchless , Badcat , Dr Z , TopHat , etc..?? They all have something in common - a certain NEWER EL-84 amp sound - all very nice

Have you ever played an old JMI ?? I've owned a half dozen. And they were all different from each other - YET - they still had a consistent characteristic that set them apart from the newer boutique amps I'd bought

AGAIN.. all those amps mentioned were great amps ( I've owned ALL of them in the past and am NOT slagging them) but they never really sounded like an old JMI to me.. thats all

Many young players may not even WANT that older "vintage vox" sound. I'm just saying that I feel I now have an amp that very well represents my older JMIs in the best possible light - at a more managable volume and w/ slightly more flexability

does that help clarify a little better ??

Tone is SO HARD to talk about this stuff w/ adjectives like "brown sound" , squishy , tight , spanky , etc.. ya know

Anyway.. there's MANY terrific amps out there

here's a new one some people are really excited about :BEER

7. urlkonig

urlkonig Supporting Member

Lovely -- if "Mike" is taking orders, I'd like get some information as well.

8. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I'd be interested in one of these as well.:drool

9. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

You should have NEVER posted that pic!!! My gosh the white one is stunning! How bad are these priced?

10. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Got to play a prototype last fall and a new one a couple days ago. Mike's got tremendously good ears and is making a great sounding amp. Hard to imagine a better sounding amp that stays pretty true to the AC15 sound (which is a LOT like an AC30). Outstanding Brittish rock sounds. Great top end and upper mids crunch. Good and loud but hardly silly; probably very close to ideal for a lot fo guys.

11. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

Thanks for the gas guys..............

nice tele

Dano - what's the deal with all the tools next to your amp? modding already?

12. DANOCASTER

Nope..My wife would love to have an answer to that also. I just have a hard time not leaving "pockets of clutter" in various places around the house.

So..for a while now... my tools live in between the Magic and the Deluxe Reverb

13. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

And I, sir!

14. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

He posts here and will probably get wind of this thread. He's top notch people and more careful about "tone" than about anyone I know. Way more than me for sure. I know the build philosophy and specs are for his amps are well thought out and I'm pretty sure the execution is first class.

I can only imagine how disgusting my current Cube 60 fascination must seem to him.

hunter

15. Stratclaw

Stratclaw Member

Keep me in this loop, please....looks like an amp I've been on the look-out for.

16. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

I've never posted about mine either because Mike's a friend, and I knew he'd pretty much decided he was only going to build a handful so there was no point spreading the word.

Dano's description is spot on IMHO. I have Magic serial #3, which is the one Dano demo'd before pulling the trigger on his own. I sold a beloved Jamison prototype to fund my Magic, and haven't looked back.

Everything from Beatles to Page to all sorts of blues, effortlessly. Records perfectly and easily. Great master volume. Sounds wonderful on its own but LOVES a nice boost, fuzz or overdrive. I have a Randall/Egnater modular rack system for gainier stuff, but I literally haven't powered it up since the Magic got here. Just did a couple of tracks with gain similar to Janet Jackson's Black Cat-era stuff, using the Magic and a few different pedals (one at a time), and my guitar tones have never sounded better IMHO.

I'm a sucker for Celestion blues, which is what these come with. I'm sure it'll sound great driving a 4-12 with Vintage 30's and/or G12H30's, but honestly I still haven't gotten around to plugging into an external cab after 4 months. I just keep loving everything the Magic does on its own.

I can easily say this is my favorite guitar amp of all time. Plus it's easy to carry.

FWIW I'm doing original music that would likely appeal to fans of the Cardigans, Portishead, Gwen Stefani, Natalie Imbruglia, Beck and Radiohead.

I'll try to post a pic of mine ASAP, but don't have a digital camera here at the moment.

Hope this helps.

17. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Hey All

Thanks for all the nice comments regarding the Brit. It's great little amp. I built the amp out of frustration... I was trying to find an amp that sounded like a good ol' British El84 amp... not better or improved. While most of the amps I tried had great tone, they weren't what I was looking for.

The Brit is basically a 15 watt version of an EL84 equipped British top boost with a couple small tweeks. While the circuit is very similar to a standard TB model, it has few changes that give it a little more flexibility.

I don't think the Brit is for everybody. If you like old 50's and 60's amps you will probably enjoy this amp. It's not as hyped tonally as most modern EL84 circuits. However, the Brit will deliver very aggressive over-the-top tones with that classic British growl ... and it has plenty of chime when called upon to do so. IMO the amp sounds best at moderate settings. The Brit seems to work well with most guitars and pedals. I am a bucker guy and the Brit loves buckers. I really enjoy playing a tele and P90 equipped Les Paul with the Brit too. I have been told it also works well with filtertron type pickups.

If public interest is high enough I will persue building another run of Brit's. The amp is point to point wired on a turret board. I use the same parts everybody else is using, two different tranny sets, a Celestion blue (standard) and a very high quality cabinet with nice details.

In fear of SPAMMING here I will leave it at that. I do not have a website yet. I will post over in the dealers section in the near future. Please feel free to email me with any questions. Thanks again for the comments and interest.

<M

18. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Hey Michael

Thanks for your kind words. I actually tried a Cube 60 last week and it sounded pretty darn good. I get it. For a lot people the C60 would be a great choice and the price is unbeatable.

<M

19. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

Hey, cool amp! I'd be interested....

20. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

PM sent.

thanks

<M