Special midrange pot for guitar???????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, Jun 11, 2008.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

I really am not a fan of split coil tones, I find them to be thin and noisy in most guitars and I am not the biggest fan of single coil tones anyway.
    I have a PRS with 5 way switch that has parallel/series tones but still, I rarely use them! I was thikning of doing something unique with my LPs and my PRS. Even with the PRS, rather than convert to a toggle and no push/pull for splitting, I was thikning of installing a special pot from Stan Hinelsy or Rothstein guitars. They have pots that can act as midrange controls, I guess they scoop the mids or thin out the tone giving it more of a single coil tone? Anyway, people claim humbuckers can sound acousticy or bell like with this control, so I could do the push/pull, where it functions as a standard tone control in the down position.
    Again, I am interested because there are rare times I ever would need singles. Even at a gig playing covers I can fake it with the volume and tone knob so having this tone control might be a good idea.
    Anyone use one???
    Thanks!

2. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

The Gibson L6-S has a mid tone control along with a standard tone control. I don't use it a lot, but the mid control can come in handy for getting different tones out of fuzzes, etc., almost like a bias knob.

3. papersoul

papersoul Member

Can you get a thinner, almost single coil tone with the mid control? I rarely use split tones, if ever, so I am trying to get away from that, but having a mid control knob might come in handy on the rare occassion if it works well.

4. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I would not say that I can get a single coil sound out of the L6-S by using the mid tone control. It still sounds like the same pickups, just takes out mids.

It may just be that the mid control on the L6-S is not that radical. To me it works like a more subtle tone control and does not make the humbuckers sound like different pickups in any way. The pots you are looking into might create more extreme variations.

Let us know how it turns out if you go for it!

5. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Yeah, I use the Torres mid/tone switch and the Rothstein Orange drop mid control. They also work well in conjunction with a bass cut circuit (using .0015µF - .0047 µF cap). Pulling out some of the bottom end gives you more range of useful clarity when you pull out the mids.

6. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Demeter Mid Boost

7. papersoul

papersoul Member

Aren't they the same thing?

8. Joses

Joses Member

I've also been eyeing the Midrange Control pot from Stan @ HAS Sound...like the TS, i'm also very interested to hear if anyone's got it/tried it :D

9. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

The Torres is the Mid control/Tone switch. The Rothstein is just the mid control which cuts and thickens the mids with a center detent. The Rothstein mid control/tone control only cuts the mids where the Torres cuts and also thickens the mids.

The Rothstein has the tone control in the knob's "down" position and the Torres has the mid control in the "down" position.