Special Olympian & Stage Manager (Proud Dad Content!!!)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Tony, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Wifey and I had one of those weekends that make the sleepless nights, parent teacher conferences and all that well worth it...

Our oldest - after 4 years of hard work - finally got the stage manager gig for her high school drama club presentation of Cinderella. It's a very aggressive program for a high school (they did Phantom of the Opera this year too - crazy for a high school) and expectations are very high. She absolutely killed it and did a great job leading the team. Here she is calling the shots:

[​IMG]

Not to be outdone: our youngest, who is autistic, participated in his first Special Olympics swimming event and took home the silver medal in the 25M freestyle. I'll be honest... it got a little dusty in there when he received his silver medal:

[​IMG]

What a great weekend. We are fortunate for sure :beer

Outlaw likes this.
  2. M138

M138 100% Fenriz Approved

That's awesome. It's always great when kids do well.

Your boy looks super happy in that pic :)

3. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

He was fired up :)

It was our first experience at a Special Olympics event. Very cool deal... a wonderful group of people there volunteering and making it a great day for everyone.

Outlaw likes this.
  4. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

AWESOME!

High 5's for both kids, and for their folks! :wave

Congrats all 'round, Dana O.

Outlaw likes this.
  5. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

:beer

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I'll say for the record that Stage mgr. is a very, very difficult job to do. It's also nearly totally thankless, because when it's done right, there are no mistakes so the show proceeds smoothly - it seems to the audience like it just magically goes that way.

Those "in the know' know that it takes an incredible amount of work by people who are off stage the entire time for a production, even a high school one, to make the actors look good in the show. The actors also do an incredible amount of work, and it takes huge contributions from both on and off stage participants to make a successful show.

Plus, you gotta swim like the devil to win a silver medal - give 'am all another high 5 from me!

Thanks, Dana O.

7. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

No kidding... she was the first one there and the last to leave and worked her tail off balancing the needs of the crew and the performers. Really glad to see her step up and lead.

Outlaw likes this.
  8. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I used to work with special ed kids in a middle school, and helped run a couple of Special Olympian events.

Never seen so much joy expressed in such a short amount of time. No one can walk away from one of those events without a big grin.

Outlaw likes this.
  9. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more. Was just telling my coworkers here that Special Olympic events basically come with a "zero @$$hole" guarantee... it's just a solid group of people across the board - athletes, staff, parents, the whole deal.

derekd and Outlaw like this.
  10. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Great stuff....thanks for sharing

11. jamess

jamess Silver Supporting Member

Right on!

Great job, Tony. Thanks to your parenting your kids will benefit forever.

Outlaw likes this.