special volume pots?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by lordsong, Oct 13, 2006.

1. lordsong

lordsong Member

I'm looking for special volume pots with one specific characteristic : they go for 1 to 10 in about 1/4 of a rotation - instead of the average 3/4 turn.

Anyone know where I can find such a pot or how one could adjust existing ones?

thanx

2. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

do you want to turn the volume down quickly? What about a momentary switch?

3. lordsong

lordsong Member

thanx for the replies

what i want is a volume control that can go from 1 to 10 in a hurry - for quick volume swells with the pinky - violin like attack

what resistors would i need for this? i have no electronics knowledge and never do my own guitar electrics fixes so...?

4. Junior

AllParts and others sell 'balance' pots that use two pots on one shaft - each pot is 0 -10 from one end to the middle. Using just one side of these might get you closer.

5. lordsong

lordsong Member

thanx again

i have some reading to do eh

i noticed many years ago that i can get this effect very easily by using a gibson style 2 pickup 2 volume control setup

by setting the pickup selector at middle and keeping one of the volumes full up turn the other volume just a 1/4 turn gives one the rapid volume increase

the thing is my favorite guitars are strat styles and they virtually all comme with one master volume - so this trick dont work with strats

and even on gibs it only works with les pauls as all the others either have a master volume or the volume is out of reach of the pinky!

6. alderbody

alderbody Member

I believe, a reverse log pot would do.

7. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

This has volume pedal written all over it. :)

8. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86DEKFissl4&mode=related&search=

Personally he scares the ba-jeebas out of me but check it out at 2:30

he uses a momentary switch more like what you'd find in an effects pedal. it cuts the volume when you press and comes back when you let go. and you can prob make one fit in a guitar by drilling out the hole a bit bigger.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yep, reverse-log pots will jump from "off" to "loud" very quickly, almost like a switch. allparts sells them as "left-handed" pots. linear taper pots will come in between "instant-on" rev-logs and slow-swell normal audio tapers. you'll also find that overdrive channels (or especially pedals) will swell much faster than clean sounds .