• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Specific examples of Vox chime?

Cal Webway

Intro riffs prior to vocals, and throughout the Beatles' "I Feel Fine"

The chord/lead thing in Donovan's "Sunshine Superman" sounds Voxy-Woxy bell like.

mhuxtable

Laura uses a Ric through 2 Voxes, and even with her higher gain sound, when she's pounding chords you can still hear that trademark chime.

sst

Most of REM's earlier chimey stuff was actually recorded on a Fender Twin reverb. The Roger McGuinn I think mainly recorded straight into the board and when he used amps used fenders.

4inchjones

I think The Edge has used AC30's throughout his career. To me, U2 has some of the best examples of that tone. Their last album has some really nice guitar tones.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
Byrds? I always think Fender amps, and compressors in the studio.

[I don't think Wildwood Coronados particularly though] :)

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
Aren't the early Joe Jackson albums an example? Songs like I'm the Man, One More Time, Sunday Papers, Kinda Kute.

sst

Byrds? I always think Fender amps, and compressors in the studio.

[I don't think Wildwood Coronados particularly though] :)
Like I said Roger McGuinn mainly recorded in the studio directly into the board without amps. He used fenders live and may have used them occasionally in the studio later on but the early jangly stuff was recorded without amps...

RED: When have you tried out a weird microphone, signal path, or other recording idea that seemed like it absolutely wouldn't work out, yet then it did?
ROGER: Well, actually, the whole jingle-jangle Rick sound was a beautiful accident with The Byrds. It came about in the studio as we were taking it direct into the board. I believe Ray Gerhardt had UREI compressors and oddly he placed two of ‘em on my guitar track in series. He cranked the first compressor up to 100% and ran that into the other. I think he did it that way because they were recording mostly classical music and middle-of-the-road songs in those days, and the studio was scared of rock ‘n’ roll—they actually thought we might break their equipment! So he just limited my guitar that first time to keep from pegging the meters and breaking their equipment, but it came out sounding just great. The two compressors also gave the Rickenbacker that amazing sustain.

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
I wouldn't describe the Vox tone as "chimey" but I know what people mean when they say that. A Fender will do the same thing, so will a bunch of boutiques.

I've been playing my AC-15C1 a bunch lately, love that amp.

Tom CT

Old Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Really?!?!? That's just silly. Streets Have No Name is one of the most difinitive examples of Vox chime on record.
Really? You don't get the humor in my post? That's just silly.

Monotremata

Most of REM's earlier chimey stuff was actually recorded on a Fender Twin reverb. The Roger McGuinn I think mainly recorded straight into the board and when he used amps used fenders.
I think some folks are seriously confusing the Rickenbacker 'jangle' with the Vox 'chime'.. Hence why Vox guys like Brian May (and myself hah) sound NOTHING like The Beatles or REM or The Byrds..

Echoes

Vox chime defined is U2 'Streets With No Name' ....both individual note chime and strum chord chime.

guitguy28

I remember the first time I plugged into an AC-30 in a guitar store… I had all these expectations of how it was going to sound… turns out, you need the right guitar too (duh!).
Can't get the Beatles/REM tone without a Rickenbacker. Can't get the Brian May sound without a guitar wired up for those series/phase combinations like his.

Echoes

Brian May isn't chime as much as cranked tube overdrive roar...more like a Marshall than a standard AC30.... He wires the tone stack out of the circuit and just drives the amps full volume full range

dckdog

Silver Supporting Member
September Gurls by Big Star
It it worth mentioning that they likely used Fender amps? They used Hiwatts as well but I think Super Reverbs and Twin Reverbs were used in that era. Likely whatever else was at Ardent at the time. Much of that guitar tone is multiple guitars and compression to give it that sparkle and "chime." Such a great band, one of my favorites. Cheers........

Trending Topics

Top Bottom