Specific Strat Wiring question

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
Why would you do the EJ, J Vaughn wiring?
I am going to use a Lollar BF neck and middle.

What would i accomplish by using this wiring?

Right now my two knob tones affect the middle pup.

StratoCraig

Disconnecting the middle pickup from the tone control means the middle pickup will sound brighter due to increased resistive load (one 250k pot rather than two 250k pots in parallel). If you like that sound, go for it.

Classic Strat wiring was to have the first tone control only on the neck pickup, and the second only on the middle, with no tone control on the bridge pickup. This resulted in a really spiky, harsh sound on the bridge pickup. Two of my Strats are currently wired that way, but on the third I added a jumper to make the second tone control affect both the middle and bridge pickups.

swiveltung

I like the neck and middle on one tone and the bridge on it's own. I like to fatten up the bridge some. Lot's of options I guess. If I was going with one pickup with no tone it would be the neck.

Last edited:

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Love the EJ wiring, gives you some extra sparkle in the 2 and 4 positions and gains more control of the bridge. Perfect.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
so if i find the LB a bit dark, then it could be for me.
Right now i have a Lollar BF in the neck and a Benson in the middle, with a Suhr HB in the bridge.

I have a Lollar made up for me since i cannot use a RWRP in the middle cause i have a Ilitch plate on hte back, so my middle has to be a NON-Rwrp pup.

That is the reason i have a benson in the middle.
I cannot remember how the Lollar neck and middle sounded together since it has been almost a year that i installed the Ilitch.

Anyone care to share if the have a Neck+middle lollar BF pups, do you like hte 4th position?Neck+middle

Trending Topics