• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Specs (sensitivity, magnet size etc) & Informed Speaker Replacements

Hey all! I'm sure most of us know how speaker choices can really make or break a great amp circuit.. And there are tons more brands and models, and customized options than to know what to do with. I like options, But making an informed decision beyond just "American or British" and really nailing what you are looking for in a replacement speaker is difficult without an understanding of the most important design choices.
-I'd like your comments, And or recommendations for an depth resource covering this. Things like power handling, efficiency, cone type, magnet type & size and the most important things to look for. And maybe also advice on considerations like how these factors effect volume and breakup. The positive/negatives having higher efficiency in small combos... Things like that

Last edited:

swiveltung

Be careful about specs, but they do make a difference in general. There's some good info over on the Weber boards but I don't have the links. I think it's called "Speaker Q and A"
Some generalities:
-Bigger voice coil diameter= More wattage handling and more low end
-Bigger magnet= less breakup and more low end
-Smooth cone =earlier breakup
-More ribs in cone= brighter

here: https://www.tedweber.com/lets-talk-speakers/?SID=07b107b32c986d3e316bf84bb29ac662

Last edited:
Be careful about specs, but they do make a difference in general. There's some good info over on the Weber boards but I don't have the links. I think it's called "Speaker Q and A"
Some generalities:
-Bigger voice coil diameter= More wattage handling and more low end
-Bigger magnet= less breakup and more low end
-Smooth cone =earlier breakup
-More ribs in cone= brighter

here: https://www.tedweber.com/lets-talk-speakers/?SID=07b107b32c986d3e316bf84bb29ac662
Hey thanks! I realize that what I'm asking about is a fairly large, broad scope of information. And the guy that posted before you recccomends spending months searching... And I have done searches on my own, but couldn't find what I was looking for. So I posted a thread. Isn't that the entire purpose of this forum??
Plus all that research isn't really necessary for my purposes..
@swiveltung; Probably the term I get the most hung up on, and confused about is "speaker breakup". I used to think that it was in reference to kind of thing that happens in say; a tweed champ turned all the way up.. The speaker loses clarity, starts falling apart, getting fuzzy, and "farting out". However, I'm certain that's not it. Maybe you could help clarify that a little for me?? In the meantime I'll go back to the Weber site, Maybe I missed something..

swiveltung

Well, there's amp breakup and there's speaker breakup. Take a clean 100 watt+ SS amp and dime it into a cheap 20 watt speaker and you will hear breakup = Rattle! But some amps have their own distortion, especially if you turn them way up. I think for us users the hard part is finding a speaker, that compliments the amp we like, and getting those two things to equal what the "perfect tone in our heads" is.

However, there is good breakup and really bad breakup. One thing that makes the old Tweed Bassman etc sound great is those old cheap lightweight Jensens with the feather light paper voice coil, there are 4 of them and at the right moment and adjustments, they compress and "float" on a note. Much different than some speaker just rattling...

Yeah, I'm on a couple forums where people often get pissed and say "this has been discussed 100 times" look it up. One time I answered "yes, we should just shut the forum down for any new posting and people can look up the old posts... nearly every topic has been discussed already anyway"

In reality, going thru 15 pages of posts to find one thing is a PITA. Post on!

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
All speakers have a voicing and frequency response curve and ALL speakers distort or breakup if you closely examine the acoustic response vs the electrical one.
However, you do not want 'breakup' and extreme non-linearity from a speaker as it nears destruction and generally sounds horrible.
I think a lot of folks confuse amp distortion with speaker breakup as filtered by the speaker's voicing.
It's complicated, dynamic, subject to external acoustics (including the cab design) and subjective ratings will vary with application and the rest of the rig.
You really have to try them all.:D

All speakers have a voicing and frequency response curve and ALL speakers distort or breakup if you closely examine the acoustic response vs the electrical one.
However, you do not want 'breakup' and extreme non-linearity from a speaker as it nears destruction and generally sounds horrible.
I think a lot of folks confuse amp distortion with speaker breakup as filtered by the speaker's voicing.
It's complicated, dynamic, subject to external acoustics (including the cab design) and subjective ratings will vary with application and the rest of the rig.
You really have to try them all.:D
Hey thanks for your advice (I'm just seeing it now, I've been super busy!). Unfortunately for my wallet, I think you're right about having to just try all of them.. Just like the majority of gear it's somewhat of a journey searching. I probably went through 15 completely different electric guitars before I discovered that a plain ole Fender Strat was it. The funny thing is, my very first real guitar was a Strat. But it took many years and everything from a Gretsch Penguin to a Les Paul to figure it out..:eek::eek:

Well, there's amp breakup and there's speaker breakup. Take a clean 100 watt+ SS amp and dime it into a cheap 20 watt speaker and you will hear breakup = Rattle! But some amps have their own distortion, especially if you turn them way up. I think for us users the hard part is finding a speaker, that compliments the amp we like, and getting those two things to equal what the "perfect tone in our heads" is.

However, there is good breakup and really bad breakup. One thing that makes the old Tweed Bassman etc sound great is those old cheap lightweight Jensens with the feather light paper voice coil, there are 4 of them and at the right moment and adjustments, they compress and "float" on a note. Much different than some speaker just rattling...

Yeah, I'm on a couple forums where people often get pissed and say "this has been discussed 100 times" look it up. One time I answered "yes, we should just shut the forum down for any new posting and people can look up the old posts... nearly every topic has been discussed already anyway"

In reality, going thru 15 pages of posts to find one thing is a PITA. Post on!
YES! EXACTLY! Haha..:D

Trending Topics

Top Bottom