Speed Pedal for a Megavibe-- options

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by exodus, Jan 26, 2006.

1. exodus

exodus Member

So my old proel volume pedal that I have used with my Megavibe is crapping out on all fronts--the pot needs replacement and the enclosure is worn.

So-- what is a good speed pedal for the Megavibe? Here is the only real spec: it needs a
    100k "dual" audio taper pot.

I like the looks of the Roland EV-5, particularly since it has a angled plug-- but I don't know its specs or if it could be retrofitted wth a 100k dual pot.

Any suggestions?

2. AerialBoundries

AerialBoundries Member

Glad you asked this - my Mega is coming in another week or so, and I've been wondering what people are using.

BTW what's wrong with the pot in your old one? If its just noisy, try using some contact cleaner like Deox-it. Stuff works wonders :AOK

3. exodus

exodus Member

The old one is doing something funky where it won't hold the speed. One moment is at setting "A" and then it will slow down or just be unresponsive. It might be dirty. No noise however, since the speed jack doesn't have any of the signal path running through it.

I also really want one with a right angle jack. I'm thinking I might just get a EV-5 and replace the pot. Seems like there should be a better solution....:jo

4. Python

Python Member

Anyone figure out what speed pedal will work for the Megavibe? I've got one on the way and would like to have a speed pedal that will work when it arives. I do have a Foxrox pedal but I don't know if it has a 100k "dual" audio taper pot ... actually, I don't even know what a 100k "dual" audio taper pot is!

Thanks!

5. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

He is in the process of creating his own.

6. muddy

muddy Member

ABOUT BLEEDIN' TIME!!! THANK god! when???

ml

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I've been puzzling over what the "dual" refers to. Thoughts so far, and this is just guessing...some pots have one "wiper"...that is to say ONE point that makes contact with the resistive track. I have opened up some from my amp recently after changing them out, and those instead of one, had two contact points. They go to the same point electrically, but I am guessing it smoothes out the pot as it is two different wipers, on two different tracks of resistive film...so if one of them is not that good a contact at some point...or not that gradual, the other one may be okay if you get what I'm saying. Pots can have dead spots, and if you have only one wiper contact point, you are screwed if it hits that point..uneven and all.

This is my best guess about what the dual means. I can't think of anything else, since it is not a "gang" pot with two pots in one...unless it is :)

8. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

Usually a dual pot refers to a double ganged pot. In other words two seperate pots mounted together with a common shaft. This allows you to control two seperate parameters with the same control. I think Kevins design needs opposing pots with each sweep going in the opposite direction.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yep..looks like you are right: (results of a simple Google follow)
    https://secure.tubesandmore.com/new/scripts/silverware.exe/moreinfo@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?item=R-V100KD-N

Though it IS a valid point that pots with two wipers are more even usually than just one contact point types.

10. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Last time I spoke to him was about 3 weeks ago. He told me he was in the process of making his own expression pedal.