Spend the Next 8:07 With The Sublime Master of the Guitar

Sparkman52

Silver Supporting Member
oh man you got that right. Thanks never saw this clip before. Is that a Twin Reverb he's playing…? Fantastic stuff!

ferrell

Ill be the first to admit im a jazz idiot.cant play it-don't know much about it-haven't listened to a whole lot.but that is amazing .listen to those beautiful melodies he weaves in and out of those wacked changes.although I play guitar,ive always considered jan hammer and Branford Marsalis (im sure I spelled that wrong) as the two greatest solo players ive ever heard.well add wes to that list.thank you for posting.im a big ej fan and was only aware of wes's octive thing .I will definitely be digging up all of this I can find

Ubersooner

Most musically talented player ever. Every time I listen to him, I realize how much I sound like i'm fighting the instrument with a pick.

Sam Sherry

Gold Supporting Member
"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity." - Charles Mingus

dsimon665

Silver Supporting Member
I transcribed that whole video a couple years ago.
from what I remember, that tune has a few sets of changes (compared to real book).

Around that time, he did a few live vids. There's one of a blues standard where they keep changing keys as each person solos (as opposed to the real book version in one key).
I think the tune was Blue Monk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0C-tzaXbuc
I transcribed that one also.

Sam Sherry

Gold Supporting Member
I transcribed that whole video a couple years ago.
Wow, that's a ton of work!

from what I remember, that tune has a few sets of changes (compared to real book). . . . There's one of a blues standard where they keep changing keys as each person solos (as opposed to the real book version in one key).
Wes died several years before there was a Real Book.

Back in the day, there were bad old notebooks sold under the counter containing photocopies of Broadway tunes with wrong chords and ukelele fingerings. (No, I am not kidding.) They didn't have blues tunes and they sure didn't have Thelonious Monk!

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Wow, that's a ton of work!

Wes died several years before there was a Real Book.

Back in the day, there were bad old notebooks sold under the counter containing photocopies of Broadway tunes with wrong chords and ukelele fingerings. (No, I am not kidding.) They didn't have blues tunes and they sure didn't have Thelonious Monk!
They weren't called Real Book, but I still have a "Illegal Fake Book" that I was given in the early 1960s and it has plenty of standards in it, including Blue Monk, Ruby My Dear and 'Round Midnight.

The first legal Real Book was published in 2004 and they still have some questionable changes in them.

dsimon665

Silver Supporting Member
The first legal Real Book was published in 2004 and they still have some questionable changes in them.
I don't have much experience with Round Midnight...but it seems especially so on that tune (lots of confusion over what the actual changes are).

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
I don't usually click on 'mystery threads' but somehow I just knew this was Wes...

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I don't have much experience with Round Midnight...but it seems especially so on that tune (lots of confusion over what the actual changes are).
I have several recordings of it by Monk...and they have different changes in them. :dunno

DRS

Thanks for the interest
Wes has always been, to me, at the pinnacle of guitar playing.