Spent last night with Revalver 4 doing high gain

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by FPFL, Feb 15, 2015.

1. FPFL

FPFL Member

My band is in the writing phase. I wanted to get some sounds ready for rough mixes.

RV4 - Its what I reach for when I want modern, high gain sounds and the FX that go with it (compression, gating). S-Gear is my go to for Hendrix/Trower era and 80's NWOBHM style sounds fwiw.

Playing thru the Atomic CLR I spent some real time dialing in 6505 lead and Mesa/Flathill chug sounds. Ever so minor tweaks in the post-EQ make a huge difference. Even just +/- 1 or 2db goes a long way. I generally roll down 240Hz -1.5 db and push up something in the 2K range +1db. This for me really helps things sit and not fight with the band without getting lost. The amps sound great without them, but if you haven't dabbled in the EQ you aren't getting the full to power of RV4. Its hard. I'm not an amp designer!

Using the same cab with two different mics in different positions and then just a little of the "Studio 3" convolution reverb setting, with the wet turned down a little, -6db default is a little too rich for me, gave a present, in the room sound for both amps. The CE2 pedal is also a great knock off of the original if you are curious. Good chorus swirl.

-P

2. jdalf

jdalf Member

I've spent more time with the 4 demo lately, I'm really liking it and going to buy it soon. I had no idea the 6505 was capable of so many tones, Revalver would be worth it to me at 99 bucks if that was it's only amp. But it has a semi- truck load of fine amps.

SGear and Revalver4 is reliving a lot of gas pains for me. Thanks for the tips, keep em coming!

You're playing through a CLR1, gotta be awesome.

3. Lain

Lain Member

Amp matching is coming to revalver too!

4. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Source?

5. Lain

Lain Member

6. jdalf

jdalf Member

7. jerryratpack

jerryratpack Gold Supporting Member

I really like the flat hill and 6505 ... Both are very versitile . The flat hill cleans can be really nice !

This morning I started on the 6505 for just jammin at home with tracks, and I dialed in such a nice tone for my ears. I ended up played a lot of bluesy things, not in a tweed blues jr type sound, just a clear , nice tone with some gain, kept its clarity, and really enjoyed my session this morning on that one patch I dialed in. I think it was the 6505 plain or simple, or something like that.

I assume 6505's are not used for blues, but it really sounded good to me. Just the sound in my head , but I was happy to get it.

I put r4's "the sheriff " overdrive In front for some extra zip on a tame 6505" stock cabs, and in the rack section, delay, verb and and the 7 band eq , adjusted the last two frequencys down just a tad, as well as the 200 hz ( just because I read someone else did that ) and played it thru my Adam 7x , and just sounded incredible to me.