Sperzel locking tuner issue - need help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Traps, May 14, 2008.

1. Traps

Traps Member

My D string locking knob is really hard to turn (loosen or tighten). I mean REALLY hard.

Has anyone had this issue? Any luck resolving?

Thanks in advance...

2. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

They sometimes are a bit stiff.
    Wet a toothpick tip or q-tip or aim straight with an easy touch & give it a bit of WD-40, fine gun/gear oil, etc. Get a paper towel ready and wipe the excess off. Let it penetrate and see if that helps. Starting at the top where the cam pinches off the string and letting it penetrate "top to bottom" should do the trick. Try not to get it on any part of the guitar's finish/wood (tape or block it off).

3. Traps

Traps Member

cool ,thanks, I'll give it a shot..I knew I had guns for a reason :)

4. rooster

rooster Member

Before you go in with WD-40, that thread should have a bit of white lithium grease. WD-40 is NOT a lubricant, it is a water displacer (hence the prefix "WD"). If you use WD-40 to loosen the locking mechanism, carefully disassemble it (I really mean CAREFULLY, lay the parts out on a clean towel), and wipe all the parts down thoroughly. Then, grease the threads with a bit of white lithium grease (available at any bicycle parts supply), and reassemble it. Make sure there isn't any on the outside of the tuner casing/shaft. Don't use any kinds of "wonder-lube", white lithium grease is still the best stuff for gears and threads. It stays where it needs to be, is pretty temperature-resistant, and doesn't make a mess.

rooster.

5. Traps

Traps Member

thanks - not only do I have guns, but a dirt bike too (that I use the lithium grease on)...