Sperzel tuners discussion

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Urkoman, Aug 15, 2005.

1. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It can change the sustain, resonance, apparent frequency center of the guitar, harmonic content, and evenness (dead spots or lack of). Everything, in other words. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. You might not realise how much if you've never changed a set, but it really can be dramatic sometimes.

Contrary to popular belief, light heads are not always better. Nor are heavy ones. Not even necessarily if you know what kind of tone you're after - it's the way the mass of the heads affects the resonance of the neck that's important, so it's difficult to make any kind of generalisation that applies to more than one specific type of guitar (or maybe even one specific guitar). It even depends on what type and gauge of strings you use.

That's why I would never advise irreversibly modifying a guitar to take different heads unless there is no alternative - it might improve things, make no difference, or make them worse. And one person's 'improve' might be another's 'worse' anyway...

That's the big thing I have against Sperzels - they simply don't fit without modification in most cases.

2. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

the sperzels can be a pain to install and get dead on straight unless you have a nice template, compared to other tuners. I also have had issues over time with locking pins sticking, and sloppiness in feel.
    the biggest problem I have had is crappy threads that strip easily. One set I bought new felt real loose and had rough uneven threads from the start. They really seem kind of cheaply made. If your not really careful and precise with the mounting pin holes the pins can bend and snap off easily.
    Two of my tech/builder friends both prefer the schaller made mini locking tuners or some gotoh models for the same reasons. Sometimes the colored plating comes off rather quickly as well.

3. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I haven't had any problems with my Sperzel locking tuners. I do wish they had a higher ratio because with a Peterson tuners you get so demanding. Are there any other tuners that mount in the same size holes as Sperzel locking tuners with a higher ratio?