Spider IV 75 or Cube 80 for real tube sound/feel

• Spider IV 75

• Cube 80

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hendog

No votes, huh...

Am I looking at the wrong modeling combos? Are there better choices that I dont know of?

scott58

What are you using it for? What are you playing. I've only tried the Cube 30 and Spider III 75w. Between those 2 I'd go with the cube. The Cube was much more natural sounding and not as "sterile" as the 75 in my opinion.

Hendog

I thought these were the two popular modeling amps available??? Why am I getting no responses?

Hendog

What are you using it for? What are you playing. I've only tried the Cube 30 and Spider III 75w. Between those 2 I'd go with the cube. The Cube was much more natural sounding and not as "sterile" as the 75 in my opinion.
I am trying to get a general discussion going about these two amps for a wide range of music.

I am reffering to the Spider IV.

suckamc

I've only played the smaller cubes, but the noise gate and the way the volume "steps down" when you sustain were just awful (worse than the first POD). Spider IV is far superior to the smaller, older Roland Cubes I've played (and you can turn off the Spider's gate... at least on the bigger versions), but I don't know if the Cube you're talking about is some newer version than what I've used.

HolyMuffDiver

I haven't played a CUBE-80, just the 30 that I owned for a few years. It was decent for a practice amp. It'll get you in the ballpark for a lot of tones, but that's it. I think the Spider IV comes a lot closer, unless the modeling in the newer CUBE series has been improved. The Spider definitely wins in terms of versatility and tweakability. A friend of mine has one, and I always have fun playing with it. If you want tube amp tones, you should probably just get a tube amp, because no modeling amp in this price range will nail it. The Spider IV 75 is great for what it is, though. I like it tons better than the PODxt I had.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
The great thing about the cube amps is their clean tones (and great bass response for such small amps). They sound very good clean and take OD pedals quite well which is a good thing because the distortion models on the cube are terrible IMO.

The spider IV 75 has decent clean tones, a very good semi clean model (the /13 class a amp) and MUCH better dirty models than the cube. Also its FX section just blows the cube away.

Geiri

I have only used a spider 2 and know I use a roland cube 20 x. I find the cube a lot warmer sounding and the power amp sqeese feature is brilliant. On the other hand though, I have had vetta 2 hd 157 boss gt 8 and a shitloads of tube amps so I know what I like from an amp. For portability and very good bass response the cube 20x is my weapon of choice. It,s simple to use and the tones are very nice for a digital unit.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
I have only used a spider 2 and know I use a roland cube 20 x. I find the cube a lot warmer sounding and the power amp sqeese feature is brilliant. On the other hand though, I have had vetta 2 hd 157 boss gt 8 and a shitloads of tube amps so I know what I like from an amp. For portability and very good bass response the cube 20x is my weapon of choice. It,s simple to use and the tones are very nice for a digital unit.
The spider IV and spider II are VASTLY different amps. The spider IV is really decent for amp tones and FX - directly from the m13 pedal board BTW.

The spider II is the poster child for L6 hate and deserves to be. Its a ****** sounding amp IMO.

As I said above the Cubes have great clean tones. The dirty models are poor to somewhat useable.

Trending Topics