Spider-Ma~n! Ed-Roma~n! Does whatever a J-Frog can!

johnnybrulez

spideyandlespaul005ul5.jpg

Okay okay okay. So Ed isn't the most well liked guy in the world. Yes, he's an asshole and says stupid stuff all the time (I talked to him for a half-n-hour. I know firsthand). Yes I've read all the bad experiences on the boards. Yes, he's a creep. A leprchaun. A troll. A liar. An arse... only a freak would deal with him right?

Slap a hat on me with the words "Freak!".

I, being the half psycho dude I am with an itch for 80s metal, was on a hunt for a Van Halen-esque axe. Floyd Rose, volume put, bridge humbucker... DONE. No tape required.

I went through various sources. Looked at some Waynes and Charvels... etc. I always thought J-Frogs looked cool (80s Kramer Barettas are awesome too) and when I saw this Spidey guitar I had to jump on it. I mean come on. Its freakin Spider-Man on an 80s metal guitar! Ah my childhood in a nut-shell. Van Halen and super heroes.

Well first I wanted a Charvel w/ their great track record but after graphics and what not it was getting kind of pricey. I really wasn't looking for the greatest 'playing' guitar. I wanted this more as an amusing guitar more than anything to add to my arsenal. So I kept looking.

Then surfing Ed's site I saw the Spider-Man J-Frog for about 1.6k. Eh... a little pricey. But last time I checked there's not too many Spidey graphics around ready to go. So I inspected! Called up. Got to talk to a guy named Tommy. Kicked it with him for awhile. Cool dude with a cool voice. Tried to talk the price down. No can do. Eh I'll wait on it.

Called again a couple days later and now I am talking to Scott. I was serious this time and they still couldn't budge on the price. Apparently Ed just dropped this guitar prices down at cost... yada yada. Namm Guitar... yada yada. All they could do for me is throw in a free hardcase and free shipping.

... I bit.

Guitar gets to me and I am ammused. Not jumping up for joy. But I thought it was neat. Hardshell case they sent the guitar in was a piece of junk. The Spider-Man image is bad ass. But some things just weren't up to par with what I had imagined cosmetically. Look kids... these guitars allegedly ran "3,000" dollars. I would say this. This guitar sure doesn't look that way. Granted I am sure the 80s Kramers or whatever 'metal' guitar weren't cosmetically or amazingly 'perfect' looking like the PRS-type guitars of today. (PRS has spoiled us w/ fit and finish.)

But a "3,000" dollar guitar should have a more figured ebony board instead of the almost 'painted black' one I have on this one. There should be an inlaid J-Frog logo in the head instead of some cheap looking decal. And a better paint-finish job on the back of the guitar. Those were satisfactory compared to the PRS guitars I have. I guess that should've been expected though... anyway.

Even at 1.6k I am scratching my head. Do I want to return? The reviews on harmony central came to my head. The posts on the Gear Page. OMG did Ed rip me off?! Well I called those guys up at ERGs to make sure I could return it. They said a-okay. Just call us up. They were really actually cool about it. Even Ed... *gasp*

Well things changed pretty quick. I plugged the guitar in and played w/ the band. As far as set-up goes they did a great job. Intonation was slightly off on the d-string... I let it go. Action was perfect for me. After distortion kicks in? Holy Fudge...

First I noticed the thing resonated like a bell. I haven't played any type of 'cheesy' metal guitar that had the resonance this had in a long long time. Second the neck felt awesome. Birds-eye-maple, No finish on it and a perfect thin type profile. And the bolt on neck is as solid as any guitar I've played in years. It is 100 percent stable. I can't say the same about my PRS CE (which is a nit pick.. I'd give the CE a 98 percent... :)). But anyway it passes my test. The guitar 'felt alive' in my hands. The wood resonated so beautifully. Its probably the loudest acousticly sounding elec. guitar I own.

Ed preaches about bolt-in necks and how great they can be if its solidly force fitted into the pocket. Man I believe him! This thing sings for days w/ the 10s I had setup. I thought bolt-in necks aren't as good as set necks at sustain... not apparently. Solid bolted in "Blackback" pickup. Sounded good to me regardless if its a painted SD Custom or not.

Man so I went from contemplating a return to this is 'a gigging guitar' in about one night. Granted maybe something on this guitar will explode... but right now it looks like a tank. I am one happy customer at the moment. So for now... here's one guy that went to Ed Roman and is more than happy. Thought I'd share something 'positive' for a change about our favorite whipping boy around these parts.

J-Frog "Spidey" Glock 22

Jellecaster

Congrats! I've had good experiences dealing with Ed and his guys. You just have to take him with a massive grain of salt. My first time in the store I expected a ton of attitude. What I got instead was one of the coolest "sales" guys ever who talked with me for a couple of hours and gave me a tour of their shop. I build my own guitars, so this was a huge treat. I also go a great deal on a Custom Shop Esquire. Ed and the boys wouldn't know a Tele if it blew-up in their face and that worked to my advantage in a big way!

The only negative thing I can say is that Ed's own Teles - the "Magic Twanger" (you can't make that up), sucks big time. Worst "Tele" I've ever played. I wasn't exactly surprised given that his store is basically a metal paradise.

JimH

Cool, unique guitar that you like playability, sound and looks of. - Screw the fingerboard figuring!

jpage

I've had several high end guitars with ebony boards & I've never seen "figuring" on any of them.

Nice guitar though...

whitehall

What is his deal these days ? I was in Vegas a few months ago and wanted to see the place , but there wasn't one. I have to go back to Vegas for work in April and would stop in to gawk, if there is a place to do that.

johnnybrulez

I've had several high end guitars with ebony boards & I've never seen "figuring" on any of them.

Nice guitar though...

Well let's just say I've seen some low-end guitars with figuring in them. :) Not so much to ask. I like my fingerboards to look like wood. That's all. My Dean Hardtail cost less and the board looks like well.. WOOD.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
A figured ebony fingerboard? Granted, some species of ebony have some stripes, but the VAST MAJORITY of ebony used on high end guitars that cost much more than what you paid (Gibson Customs and Jazz boxes, Martin acoustics, high end classicals, etc.) are dead black.

johnnybrulez

A figured ebony fingerboard? Granted, some species of ebony have some stripes, but the VAST MAJORITY of ebony used on high end guitars that cost much more than what you paid (Gibson Customs and Jazz boxes, Martin acoustics, high end classicals, etc.) are dead black.

I think figuring is a bad word. Like my PRS Classic has an Ebony fretboard on it. And my Dean Hardtail has a fretboard on it. Both are JET BLACK. Those fretboards aren't exoticly striped or anything but they resemble premium ebony fretboards. AKA LOOKS LIKE WOOD.

This one just isn't at that point. And ya know "ED" is Mr. "Big Companies aren't giving you your worth of dollar!"

I'd expect a guy like that to over-compensate and try to give you more than what the Big Companies do. Talk a big game. You should bend over backwards to try and back it up.

I am happy though. It was more of a nitpick.

DualRectifier

Gold Supporting Member
Damn if I was you I would have at least checked the HC reviews on that guitar....brutal:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/J+Frog/Glock+22/10/1

If you really paid $1,600, I suggest you decide quickly if you want to keep this guitar. The resale will be nonexistent when it comes time for you to move it. You posted on another thread that you love JET guitars, so the fact that you get along so well with Ed Roman is a good thing for you.

And of course your ebony board was dyed; pretty much all ebony fingerboards are dyed. Never heard of anyone looking for a woodgrain in there. I do love my ebony boards...

Jellecaster

What is his deal these days ? I was in Vegas a few months ago and wanted to see the place , but there wasn't one. I have to go back to Vegas for work in April and would stop in to gawk, if there is a place to do that.

They were forced to move because of development - the building boom in Vegas never stops! He has a new location but I don't believe that they are open yet.

mprvise

Return the guitar and spend the $$ on a new couch (or at least get some matching pillows). :)

RDM

I think I'm going to swing by his new shop this week. I work about 2 blocks from him.

johnnybrulez

Damn if I was you I would have at least checked the HC reviews on that guitar....brutal:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/J+Frog/Glock+22/10/1

If you really paid $1,600, I suggest you decide quickly if you want to keep this guitar. The resale will be nonexistent when it comes time for you to move it. You posted on another thread that you love JET guitars, so the fact that you get along so well with Ed Roman is a good thing for you.

And of course your ebony board was dyed; pretty much all ebony fingerboards are dyed. Never heard of anyone looking for a woodgrain in there. I do love my ebony boards...

I did. And like I said I was scared but I had the 'ballz' or the stupidity to go for it. And like I said, cosmetics I have some complaints. But playability? No. This thing is awesome and I couldn't disagree more with some of the HC reviews. I could tell one of them was complete BS. The last review I may agree w/ if I can get an awesome newer Wayne in my hands. I've played some used.

I mean seriously that first review. The guitar has ONE pickup. Yet it has a noisy pickup selector? Yeah... that makes sense. Whenever reviews are that one-sided I never usually take it with face value. Bad frets, bad neck.. bad body.. bad finish.. bad wiring... bad hair-do. HC is cool for some things. But w/ as many people that hate Ed Roman... I hardly feel most of those reviews actually have the guitar in their hands. And about ressale I usually never buy guitars in anticipation of 'selling back'. I care about how it plays first and foremost. This won't probably won't ever be for sale. If anything it makes a cool guitar to hang in a 'game room' if it gets that bad. Way better than some painting. :)

And I do look for woodgrain in my ebony boards. My PRS and Dean have it. Why is it so weird that I want it on this guitar? :) The Dean was 1,6k as well. Price can't be an issue.

And just because I love JET means I get along w/ Ed Roman? I don't see the correlation. Jeff makes the guitars. Ed just so happens to sell them. I think Jets are way too 'pretty' for me and are too pricey. But I love how they play. Apparently that makes me Ed's 'good ol pal'. I play PRS guitars and love em... doesn't mean I am all palsy w/ Paul himself.

Interesting conversations w/ him I must say the least. Do I share people's intense hatred for the 'lep'? No. Do I think he's my best friend? No. In fact he can be rude (not to me but he said some offensive things.. ya just shouldn't say.). The guy just has some cool guitars in his store. Regardless of how many times he bashes Fender, Gibson, or PRS. My feelings don't get hurt.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom