Spider-Man: Far From Home (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by skhan007, Jul 4, 2019.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Just got back and thought it was GREAT!! The after credit scenes were total surprises.

Best line: “I love Led Zeppelin”

Discuss...

2. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

I had a feeling we shouldn't have left during the credits, but the kids were getting twitchy. Crap.

Did they steal Mysterio's motivation and plan directly from Syndrome in The Incredibles?

3. guitarJoe91

guitarJoe91 Member

I thought it was quite good as well! I thought they really Mysterio justice, as the hallucinations Peter was having were on point.

I almost jumped out of my chair when J.K. Simmons popped up on the screen! Fan service? Sure. Tickled me though, being a fan of the Raimi trilogy. The future of Spider-Man I’m the MCU is going to be interesting to say the least.

4. skhan007

It was a real cliff-hanger after the J. Jonah Jameson reveal of Spider-man’s identity. Can’t wait to see where they take this storyline!

67blackcherry likes this.
  5. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

6. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

^^^ I fell asleep in the big final scene... 10:25pm was way too late for me to see a 2+ hour long movie after having an Old Fashioned at dinner! LOL

My kids loved it though. :aok

sahhas likes this.
  7. fool

fool Uncouth Savage Gold Supporting Member

Took my kids to see it and thought it was fun. I liked how Peter was mostly trying to get back to his teenage life and get with MJ and really didn't want any part of the 'save the world be a hero' thing. I think they did a pretty good job casting the characters.

8. WordMan

WordMan Member

It is a fact that JK Simmons *is* JJJ, so having him return simply felt correct! A perfect Bob Newhart/Suzanne Pleshette moment.

The movie was a bit bloated, but fun overall. And yeah, the stingers during the credits were some of the most revealing they’ve ever done.

JiveTurkey and TimmyPage like this.
  9. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I saw it and felt as expected, a bit let down. The post-Endgame MCU isn't super interesting.

Peter Parker as the next leader of the Avengers? Meh. They're trying to make him take on too much. He's great for handling mid-level NYC threats and the occasional team ups with stronger teams, but these global threat deals are just not as interesting with him leading the charge. I guess giving him control over Stark Industries makes up for that? I dunno, just not buying.

GOTG 3 should be fun with Slim Fast Thor along, Benedict makes Strange interesting, Black Panther could be fun with the right baddie, but the rest of it, eh.

Maybe they should try their hands at a full reboot of the Xmen. May be too late for that.

Ethn Hayabusa likes this.
  10. WordMan

WordMan Member

Given the second stinger, they are clearly setting up a long-play arc. Not clear who the Big Bad will end up being, but seeds are being planted.

Radar likes this.
  11. fool

fool Uncouth Savage Gold Supporting Member

I think the point was that everyone else was trying to put him in that role and he doesn't want and knows he isn't ready for it.

stevel, JiveTurkey and 67blackcherry like this.
  12. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

Saw it yesterday, thought it was entertaining, liked all the actors, but to me, I think a Spider-Man movie should be independent of all the avengers stuff. I’m really trying to understand how a teen kid would really interact w/ a billionaire industrialist, just don’t see it. Funny that the preview shot of him defeating some bad guys and then quiping w/ police didn’t make it into the movie. I’m not a fan of the iron man spidey suit, but it was entertaining

Radar and JiveTurkey like this.
  13. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

funny that Riamis j Jonah Jameson is back! Really hated the outing of peter Parker, but heck he’s walking around w/ no mask on 1/2 the time, the comics Spider-Man would never take his mask off

67blackcherry and Jarrett like this.
  14. Madsen

Madsen Member

I keep hearing they plan to sit on the Xmen & F4 characters for a few years to let them cool off before reintroducing them in the MCU.

I thought the hallucinations were excellent as well. Definitely impressed with how they handled Mysterio. Also glad they didn't go for the multi-villain overload that has plagued previous Spider-Man films. I hear rumors of them doing Sinister 6 but hope they take their time working their way up to that.

sahhas likes this.
  15. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Meh, it was OK. The "confused teen" thing has been overplayed, I guess its appropriate and all.

Ethn Hayabusa likes this.
  16. skhan007

I really loved the interplay between successful moves and getting flattened. Such as, when he successfully webbed up a dozen drones and made them crash, then triumphantly landed on the concrete in the Iron Man pose (one knee bent, fist punching the ground), only to get clocked in the head and disoriented. The development of Spider-Man from rookie to Avenger is fun to watch!

17. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Spider-Man has always been my favorite character, but I was lukewarm on Homecoming. I had very low expectations going into this one.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Mysterio was well done and turned out to be a great villain for a special FX laden summer action movie. Nice twist at the end, just when everything seemed to be going right.

I thought it showed that the MCU still has some legs. I was entertained and it left me excited to see where they will take it next.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  18. grill

grill Member

I've yet to see it.

I like the kid playing him tho.

:):(

19. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Saw it last night. Loved it, one of the best of the bunch.

Seems like Peter Parker’s lot in life is to suffer... from being constantly humiliated in high school, to having the weight of expectation on his shoulders and knowing he is not ready, to being subjected to cruel twists of fate. And I think the actor that plays him expresses this weight in a much more human way than anybody else in the MCU.

20. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Loved it of course. A near perfect comic adaptation in feel, tone and scope. JJJ is wonderful to see, updated yet not.
    One of the best mid credit scenes on record.
    Outstanding fx and Spider-Man geometry and speed. Loved the outing.
    Another perfect casting like JJJ is Mark Strong from the failed Green Lantern movie. Should they retry that, Sinestro=Mark Strong and he should be brought back.