Vendor Spiral Electric FX, What's The Haps?

PhuzzphayzZ

@PhuzzphayzZ you got an allora + didn't tell me?!?!

|tjk
yesterday... it's been a whirlwind... Tom wants a review

It crackles like a MkI,... Gates like a MkII or FFactory,... maybe something Muffy over there, something FFace over hear... still working on getting a SubOctave... or any Octave...

I left Gain on '0', Bias on '10', and just played with the Detail for a while... then played with the Bias... Bias is pretty all encompassing.

You gonna tell us about your Allora someday?
It's complex

I have a method... Gain@'0', find Unity....

here I had Bias on '10' and started palying with the Detail... once satisfied, I moved the Bias back some... WHERE IS THE 'DEFAULT'?- @1:00??,... seems to sound the most stable, but, you have to move the Bias as you move other things... but, between 3-4:00 there's a lot going on... I'd like to hear the lengthy spiel for this knob!

above I said Allora has sonic elements of all those families of Fuzz. In this regard I might finally supercede both ScarabDeluxe and LunarModuleDeluxe as the best AllAroundFuzz...'Verstaile'..'Utility'...

HOWEVER!!!
It doesn't shy away from the crackles&gating... I imagine there are 'things' lurking undernesth that I'll have to figure out how to get to (can I get a SubOctave?)... I haven't really had much time

to be fair, Allora, Pigpile, AND Nightsky all arrived together... but, I haaaad wanted to get to Allora first

I had considered the Conquistador, and/or the GermaniumBigMuff, but I'm hearing the tones in Allora... I think...

It's all about this Bias... is there Starving also going on here?

I must say, Ryan's Demo, able as it is, is not enough... I could do 40min ez...well, lol, at least 20+...

Allora is like the TarPitBaby... the more you twiddle, the more your fingers start to get stuck to the sticky

I had a bad time at the store, and was in an apocalyptic mood, and i was bein grumpy and was like, "it's a Fuzzstortion", lol,... but, today I determined to 'break' it, and unlocked the kaleidoscopic 'detail' that is brought out in your guitar tone.-

I ALWAYS SET MY FX WITH MAXXX GUITAR TONE- but then always roll off to the sweet spot last

so- it does like a PTD Overdrive... it does Fuzzstortion... it does MkI crackle and MkII Gating... it can get Muffy, and Facey,... and also 'tweaky'....

I know- I should be in bed... typing fingers type,... and they don't stop... can't stop em...I'm passin out but my fingers type...lol

Allora is proving a formidable challenge- is there a Post where you go into nauseating detail...or is it all just in the 'interactions' of the parameters? Why am I thinking this is a moar complex Fuzz???

The TarBaby comment... the gooeyness... you put some moje in this pedal- there is a very distinct personality here, refined, and adventurous

I'll admit I didn't read the comments, or couldn't remember, when you all were talking about it... what it is, the thought behind it...

NOW I'm interested, lol

I want the Allora 101 class... I can tell a lot of historical thought went into it, and, at least for me, hearing 'the story' will actually make me turn the knobs better, lol

btw- I've been playing in the LeadChannel, so, Fuzz > light breakup... haven't even explored the CleanChannel yet...

OH- forgot- it LOVES to stack!!! with all 11 dirt pedals- well...most....

hands

falling off

M

Member 5343

It crackles like a MkI,... Gates like a MkII or FFactory,... maybe something Muffy over there, something FFace over hear... still working on getting a SubOctave... or any Octave...

gotta get the volume to at least 3 o'clock for all the best tones/response, imo

octave up is in "special" toggle setting, get the bias as high as you can before gating kicks in - take your time + turn it a bit, hold a note and wait, if it dies at all, move it just a smidge back - get the gain up pretty f*ckin' high, past 3 o'clock as well - detail almost dimed and use your neck pickup - i think low-cut off - clean amp, you should be getting singing controllable octave up feedback back just by fretting

sub octave is gain + volume dimed, silicon clipping mode, low-cut off - start with the bias maxed + start letting notes die, turning the bias back to maximize squelch duration during gating, once it starts to get sub-octavey, tune detail to accentuate it - make sure your amp is dirty-ish and mess with your tone knob + pickup positions

so stoked for you to keep getting acquainted w/ allora!

|tjk

NoiseNinja

TOM'S GOT INSTAGRAM SECRETS!!! WHAT'CHA BUILDIN' TOM!?!?

|tjk

What's he building in there?
What the hell is he building in there?
He's hiding something from the rest of us
With that hook light on the stairs
I'll tell you one thing
He's not building a playhouse for the children
Now what's that sound from under the door?
What the hell is he building in there?

- By the words of another Tom

Last edited:

RevLoveShot

Silver Supporting Member
TOM'S GOT INSTAGRAM SECRETS!!! WHAT'CHA BUILDIN' TOM!?!?

|tjk

If he hadn’t slimmed down so much I’d almost expect him to be wearing a red suit and have a much bigger workshop! I wonder…recut DITD into claymation version. Even his name sounds a lil sus…

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year, when spiral electric fx unleashes some new secret gear, and Saint Tom Von Kramm’s fuzz devours our ears, it’s the most wonderful time of the year!”

PhuzzphayzZ

gotta get the volume to at least 3 o'clock for all the best tones/response, imo

octave up is in "special" toggle setting, get the bias as high as you can before gating kicks in - take your time + turn it a bit, hold a note and wait, if it dies at all, move it just a smidge back - get the gain up pretty f*ckin' high, past 3 o'clock as well - detail almost dimed and use your neck pickup - i think low-cut off - clean amp, you should be getting singing controllable octave up feedback back just by fretting

sub octave is gain + volume dimed, silicon clipping mode, low-cut off - start with the bias maxed + start letting notes die, turning the bias back to maximize squelch duration during gating, once it starts to get sub-octavey, tune detail to accentuate it - make sure your amp is dirty-ish and mess with your tone knob + pickup positions

so stoked for you to keep getting acquainted w/ allora!

|tjk
was just able to get both sounds!

yea, the Upper8va is best with CleanChannel, but it's right on there! verrrry nice

the Lower8va was interesting... not like PTD... a different avenue, but I could hear the dialing process... OutputLevel was key, as was guitar Tone rolloff...

then I tried a FFace setting, in the 'Special' mode, to get 'cleanup'... that worked!

yea, it's a tweaker!

I'd love to know what pedal peeps may be comparing Allora to, or not... it does seem like Tom's refined sense of taste here is just a bit moar than what I sometimes hear elsewhere... I will say I think Fulltone's tonal refinery in the QueenBee might be of the same general order, but that pedal is a bit more just 'straight up' Fuzzstortion at the extreme... Allora seems kaleidoscopic , getting DNA from all kiiiiinds of places and hiding them in the crevices and nooks and crannies of Allora's dial; sweeps

M

Member 5343

o_Opractically edible, can hardly wait for clips!

also, as an aside, this setting on allora w/ a clean amp through a closed back cab is the sound in my head:

the "special" mode on the toggle, with bias at like 9ish - 10ish o'clock, gain and volume dimed + detail anywhere between 2 and 4 o'clock, low-cut off

this is the dirt tone i've always wanted, seriously found my sound with this after years of boosting fuzz into dirty amps looking for clarity + hot saturated sizzle while still responding with some knock on palm mutes

|tjk

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Von Kramm

Platinum Supporting Member
Aleph Gain Device

All instruments except drums in this demo song are using the Aleph Gain Device, no post-EQ or effects used. The Aleph can go from light OD to buzzy fuzz, and all shades in-between. All settings are responsive to guitar volume changes. This is an OpAmp based fuzz, quite unusual for fuzz, and quite unusual for my lineup.

Texture Toggle:
1. 80n solo
2. 80n + NOS RUS Germanium
3. 80n + Silicon 1N914

Squelch Toggle:
1. Fuzzy
2. Open
3. Fuzzier

Guitar signal Path: Yamaha Weddington Classic → Aleph Gain Device → Flamma FS07 CAB (Ownhammer Orange 4x12 IR) → Orange Omec → Computer → Yr Ear Holes → Yr Head Meat

Bass signal path:

Fender Jazz Special → Aleph Gain Device → Orange Omec → Computer

Last edited:
M

Member 5343

Aleph Gain Device

All instruments except drums in this demo song are using the Aleph Gain Device, no post-EQ or effects used. The Aleph can go from light OD to buzzy fuzz, and all shades in-between. All settings are responsive to guitar volume changes. This is an OpAmp based fuzz, quite unusual for fuzz, and quite unusual for my lineup.

Texture Toggle:
1. 80n solo
2. 80n + NOS RUS Germanium
3. 80n + Silicon 1N914

Squelch Toggle:
1. Fuzzy
2. Open
3. Fuzzier

Signal Path: Yamaha Weddington Classic → Aleph Gain Device → Flamma FS07 CAB (Ownhammer Orange 4x12 IR) → Orange Omec → Computer → Yr Ear Holes → Yr Head Meat

sounding really great! a lot warmer/more natural than i was expecting when you said "velcro-y" fuzz!

|tjk

AStrangeDay

Tom, one last question for you. Are your pedals also designed to work with synths or drum machines?
When i had your Carcosa it was absolutelly AMAZING on drums and synths and i wonder if your Brute or Allora will work even better with those stuff.

Tom Von Kramm

Platinum Supporting Member
Tom, one last question for you. Are your pedals also designed to work with synths or drum machines?
When i had your Carcosa it was absolutelly AMAZING on drums and synths and i wonder if your Brute or Allora will work even better with those stuff.

Here comes a nice double-negative: They are not designed to not work with synths or drum machines... LOL

All of my stuff has the ability to be full frequency, that comes from my bass playing background. I need everything I make to work well with bass, and if it works well with bass, it will work well with pretty much anything. The only Spiral Pedal that is the exception to that is the Red Spiral. The Tone Pyramid on the Red, specifically the Peak Control, is designed to interact with guitar pickups. It sounds fine on bass, but it isn't really meant for bass.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom