• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Vendor Spiral Electric FX, What's The Haps?

Lauri Vennonen

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, I'm almost ready to double my Spiral fx fuzz collection but should I get Brute or Allora to keep company to my Black? The higain and suboctave craziness of the Allora are very tempting but so is the dark crispiness of the Brute (as is the slightly better price).

Lauri Vennonen

Silver Supporting Member
What's up "fuzz whisperers?" (quote uttered with aggressiveness of the most passive kind, mixed with hints of medium-rare martyrdom on a platter of deep wounds of not getting the special attention I think I deserve or don't deserve).

I, a fuzz pedal purchaser with very special challenges in the decision making department, simply tried to place the responsibility of my own choices to somebody else's shoulders. And what did I get, a few lazy likes!

And nobody is holding my hand, talking me through the best transistor options, or listening the pointless peculiarities of my rig and style, no-one offering a one-off color enclosure, no bundle-deals...

When I buy sneakers, I fully expect to talk to Adi Dassler and Air Jordan about sole options, colorways that express my unique individuality etc. And yes even if it's Christmas!

All I have left to say is that I found your lack of support so disturbing, I just ordered the Allora, which I have wanted for at least six months now and can totally afford, but no thanks to you! I hope you enjoy your glühwine or what ever you are having with your loved ones.

I will always remember this and promise not to ask for any advise again, unless I feel like I deserve (or don't deserve) some, that is.

TaronKeim

ugly//pretty//noise
Silver Supporting Member
What's up "fuzz whisperers?" (quote uttered with aggressiveness of the most passive kind, mixed with hints of medium-rare martyrdom on a platter of deep wounds of not getting the special attention I think I deserve or don't deserve).

I, a fuzz pedal purchaser with very special challenges in the decision making department, simply tried to place the responsibility of my own choices to somebody else's shoulders. And what did I get, a few lazy likes!

And nobody is holding my hand, talking me through the best transistor options, or listening the pointless peculiarities of my rig and style, no-one offering a one-off color enclosure, no bundle-deals...

When I buy sneakers, I fully expect to talk to Adi Dassler and Air Jordan about sole options, colorways that express my unique individuality etc. And yes even if it's Christmas!

All I have left to say is that I found your lack of support so disturbing, I just ordered the Allora, which I have wanted for at least six months now and can totally afford, but no thanks to you! I hope you enjoy your glühwine or what ever you are having with your loved ones.

I will always remember this and promise not to ask for any advise again, unless I feel like I deserve (or don't deserve) some, that is.

we left you alone + you made the right decision - you've been jedi fuzz whispered

allora is unlike anything else i've played - a month later and i am still writing songs with it

tweak + make sure to try all gain and bias settings, especially extremes, like low bias w/ high gain and higher bias with low gain - there are dirty boosts, overdrives + distortion tones to be had, with great volume clean-up - not to mention all the fuzz colors on tap - use the full range of detail on every tone you like and get the volume up to at least 2 or 3 o'clock to get the best of what allora has to offer, imo of course

|tjk

Tom Von Kramm

Platinum Supporting Member
Just finished building your Allora @Lauri Vennonen! Just waiting for the wood box to dry, should ship today:

Allora.JPG

Lauri Vennonen

Silver Supporting Member
Just finished building your Allora @Lauri Vennonen! Just waiting for the wood box to dry, should ship today:

View attachment 463645

Thank you Tom. It's a beauty and there's a story behind all this inability of mine to make decisions that I can't share here but I have a strong feeling of connection and understanding that is a big part of my appreciation of your work. Thank you and I will let you know when I get it. Wuuhuu in the most fuzzy way!

Moody Tuner

I was waiting for you to get to the realization that you need the whole lineup. The Allora might deliver that epiphany.

cosmic_rust

Gold Supporting Member
Scored a Brute at long last, which now joins the Secret Chord on my studio board. I've dug everything I've tried by Tom, but I have limited real estate left, so space is a premium and I can only roll with the most appropriate gear for my sound chasing adventures. Suffice it to say, then, that the fact that two big ol' Spiral Electric FX pedals have made the cut is a big endorsement for my picky tastes. The Secret Chord is a beautiful stacker for adding a little extra sauce to any dirt sammich, but I wanted to take a quick moment to speak out on the awesomeness of the Brute.

The Brute is a perfect box of fuzzy range, from brutish overdrive fuzz to hair-raising stank when you start cranking the bias. LOTS of great, usable tones and tons of range, gain, and volume on tap. I'm absolutely loving it. I could even see it as a standalone fuzz in a pinch. Really tasty stuff. Great for classic vibes while still doing its own thing. Another winner for Tom!!

PhuzzphayzZ

I think the HBE UFO comes pretty close. TBH, it isn't that I haven't found the perfect octave fuzz, it is more that I just don't dig octave fuzz. ;)
but you do know ALLORA does an +8va... ahem

Honestly, it's the +8va for those who don't like +8va, isn't it? Since, I suppose, it's just a byproduct of Allora's other features, I'm assuming it's "just there" because of the HiGain... a natural phenomena... it certainly doesn't MAKE you play differently, as I believe an Octavio/a will, because of the severe tuning of the +8va. In Allora, it just is... you certainly hear it, but it doesn't get in the way of normal playing. haven't checked for RingMod tones yet...

+8va

1) Gain+Detail very high, probably in Unison... you'll hear when the Gain and Tone 'meet' each other at the +8va.

2) Bias, too, quite high, and you'll hear when the whole tone engages.

Maybe I have HotPups, but I've been having to keep Output @11. (whereas taron's been talkin like 1-2:00)

Tom Von Kramm

Platinum Supporting Member
Yeah, the Black will do octave up too if you turn down your guitar tone all the way. I've actually considered making that a toggle option, switching in a big ol' input cap if you want.

Maybe that will be this year's Summer Cyan?

ETA: Here's a little bit of the Black doing octave up from back in 2020:

Last edited:

ErichA

Silver Supporting Member

In the end, it is my belief that you will come to realise that choosing between the two is an illusion, and that the unity of having both is the true beauty of fuzzzzzz

cosmic_rust

Gold Supporting Member
Scored a Brute at long last, which now joins the Secret Chord on my studio board. I've dug everything I've tried by Tom, but I have limited real estate left, so space is a premium and I can only roll with the most appropriate gear for my sound chasing adventures. Suffice it to say, then, that the fact that two big ol' Spiral Electric FX pedals have made the cut is a big endorsement for my picky tastes. The Secret Chord is a beautiful stacker for adding a little extra sauce to any dirt sammich, but I wanted to take a quick moment to speak out on the awesomeness of the Brute.

The Brute is a perfect box of fuzzy range, from brutish overdrive fuzz to hair-raising stank when you start cranking the bias. LOTS of great, usable tones and tons of range, gain, and volume on tap. I'm absolutely loving it. I could even see it as a standalone fuzz in a pinch. Really tasty stuff. Great for classic vibes while still doing its own thing. Another winner for Tom!!
I wanted to add that I run my pedals into a recording board when playing at home oftentimes so that I can choose a select preamp, then run that it into a power amp sim and cab sim via a Two Notes Torpedo CABM+. That board runs with a Surfybear Metal Reverb > Toneczar Powerglide Tremolo > Ditto Looper X2 > Kingsley Constable JTM/Plexi > Kingsley Herald (AC30) > Kingsley Squire 86 (EF86) > Kingsley Maiden BF (Blackface Fender) > Torpedo CABM+

The Brute loved all the preamps, but really shined running into the Voxy Kingsleys, especially the Herald's top boost side. Dug it with the JTM side of the Constable as well. Just great fuzz tones all around.

Pic of recording board:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom