• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Vendor Spiral Electric FX, What's The Haps?

Tom Von Kramm

Platinum Supporting Member
So stoked you dig the Brute @cosmic_rust!

I'm not surprised that the Brute worked best with your more Voxy pres. Vox AC30 is pretty much my base tone and what I test with the most.

The Killing Joke

Gold Supporting Member
I moved, it took me a while to get my studio setup. The for a new Spiral pedal.... What to get?

First off I just gave a carcosa away to a former band mate so the Dehme is always possible

I have a Yellow Spiral and a Brute

What flavor do I need next. I just love Tom's pedals

TaronKeim

ugly//pretty//noise
Silver Supporting Member
I moved, it took me a while to get my studio setup. The for a new Spiral pedal.... What to get?

First off I just gave a carcosa away to a former band mate so the Dehme is always possible

I have a Yellow Spiral and a Brute

What flavor do I need next. I just love Tom's pedals

everybody needs an allora - has changed my life gain pedal-wise

see over-the-top review here:

and "my setting" rave sent to phuzzy:

phuzzy, you gotta try this setting on allora into a clean amp w/ a closed back cab

the "special" mode on the toggle, with bias at like 9ish o'clock, gain and volume dimed + detail anywhere between 2 and 4 o'clock, low-cut off

this is the dirt tone i've always wanted, seriously found my sound with this after years of boosting fuzz into dirty amps looking for clarity + hot saturated sizzle while still responding with some knock on palm mutes

|tjk

RevLoveShot

Silver Supporting Member
This might be TL:DR but I’m spiraling for help and advice. I’ve spent the last little bit of this week realizing I get frustrated by the two fuzz faces I own just not sounding right for me and not gelling. We play covers and mostly originals, and it’s all over the map for styles—stone roses to tool, black crowes to black keys, stooges to steppenwolf, sabbath to uncle Tupelo, tragically hip to imagine dragons…(I play into edge of break up kingsnake head/vox settings 4ohm into 1x12 + 4x10 closed back cabs or a mostly clean fender amp hrdx/champ2x w/1x12 extra deep) and whatever is on the back line. I am “loaning” our other guitarist the fuzz fella bc the carcosa keeps sliding in to my board. Front of chain is union lab (gift from my incredible amazing partner in crime and she knows I post here) >>Carcosa>>red spiral #2>>od250>>hizumitas/hoof (alternate)>>black box>>Timmy—>mod/secret pre/delay/deco/reverb). I posted I knew Tom would tempt me. I have been looking at black, yellow, brute and dehme and found the end of the internet looking for demos! And now @TaronKeim dropped me into the allora madness. What to do what to do! Oh. I play five guitars ranging from low power lipsticks to p90s s-style, tele with a neck 90, revtron mini buckers in a semi hollow, and my 84 peavey milestone with HOT peavey rails. I love the carcosa and the od250. They always work. I could probably leave well enough alone, but I got through a bout of COVID in 2020 living with the red spiral in a room solo, have some holiday gift money, and Tom’s toys be calling my name!!!!!

Tom Von Kramm

If you love the 250 then take a hard look at the Yellow Spiral. However, far be it from me to discourage a sale but, looking at the stuff you have you are pretty dialed already.

RevLoveShot

Silver Supporting Member
If you love the 250 then take a hard look at the Yellow Spiral. However, far be it from me to discourage a sale but, looking at the stuff you have you are pretty dialed already.
About to go play some more—but that right there is just one more reason why I know I’ll have yet another piece of your musical magic on my board before the end of the year! Thank you @Tom Von Kramm!

RevLoveShot

Silver Supporting Member
@Tom Von Kramm my lovely future wife would like you to stop creating things that inspire me to play and write more. At least for 6-12 months so she can save up and prepare! And she might be jealous of you, but I keep telling her you aren’t my type. :) Muse envy. Please make that a limited edition pedal name!

Deuterium

Hi Tom,

I have been looking at the Yellow LM741 OverDrive. Can you describe, for the laymen, how close/accurate the pedal would replicate the tone of a DOD 250 Reissue (2013)? Specifically, how does the 80N asymmetric diode network affect the tone, when it is coupled with the silicon diode clipping. I see you have recommended selecting the "80N + Si" toggle mode, for recreating a traditional DOD-250 tone (e.g. classic Yngwie).

However, in all three modes, the 80N is involved. From all the available YouTube videos of the Yellow LM741, I keep hearing a fuzz type character, which is more or less pronounced, depending on the setting. Don't get me wrong, it is a pleasing sound...but it always seems to be there, in the background. I guess what I am saying is I haven't been able to hear an example of a straight up classic DOD-250 tone. I realize that the Yellow overdrive is meant to do so much more, and that it isn't advertised as a simple DOD-250 "clone". However, it would be good to know that the Yellow overdrive could be set up to accurately reproduce DOD-250 tones, without any added clipping/artifacts or coloring, if so desired.

Tom Von Kramm

Hi Tom,

I have been looking at the Yellow LM741 OverDrive. Can you describe, for the laymen, how close/accurate the pedal would replicate the tone of a DOD 250 Reissue (2013)? Specifically, how does the 80N asymmetric diode network affect the tone, when it is coupled with the silicon diode clipping. I see you have recommended selecting the "80N + Si" toggle mode, for recreating a traditional DOD-250 tone (e.g. classic Yngwie).

However, in all three modes, the 80N is involved. From all the available YouTube videos of the Yellow LM741, I keep hearing a fuzz type character, which is more or less pronounced, depending on the setting. Don't get me wrong, it is a pleasing sound...but it always seems to be there, in the background. I guess what I am saying is I haven't been able to hear an example of a straight up classic DOD-250 tone. I realize that the Yellow overdrive is meant to do so much more, and that it isn't advertised as a simple DOD-250 "clone". However, it would be good to know that the Yellow overdrive could be set up to accurately reproduce DOD-250 tones, without any added clipping/artifacts or coloring, if so desired.

My answer is a little long and blunt, so please forgive me in advance - skip to the TL;DR if you don't care about my reasoning:

Demo people didn't focus on that aspect much because frankly, I asked them not to. I didn't want the Yellow to be presented as a "250 clone" in any way. It wasn't my intent, and it wasn't my interest, and it wasn't a clone. At the time you could pick up an actual 250 used for $30, an updated one for $75, and a vintage LM741 for ~$120. A brand new updated 250 was right around $100. Wow, those days are gone aren't they? LOL. I wanted the Yellow to stand on its own, free from classic 250 associations.

Back when you could get 250's for cheap I would tell people that if they wanted "classic 250 tones" to just buy a 250. But now that the prices are creeping into Spiral territory on the low end, and surpassing it on the high, the Yellow is looking like an alternative to forking out $400-$700 for a vintage LM741. I'm probably missing a trick by not offering a faithful 250 clone. It would probably be a good business decision to modify the Yellow to take advantage of the increased interest in the classic 250...

TL;DR

So now finally on to the answer to your question. By mixing with the 80n (previously I used the Nanolog N2), you are right that that coloration will always be there. I do offer a mod to have the toggle selections to be discrete, w/o mixing the 80n, for an up-charge. And if you use setting #3 on the Girth control with a modded discrete clipping Yellow version set to Silicon, it is basically a stock 250.

Last edited:

Deuterium

My answer is a little long and blunt, so please forgive me in advance - skip to the TL;DR if you don't care about my reasoning:

Demo people didn't focus on that aspect much because frankly, I asked them not to. I didn't want the Yellow to be presented as a "250 clone" in any way. It wasn't my intent, and it wasn't my interest, and it wasn't a clone. At the time you could pick up an actual 250 used for $30, an updated one for $75, and a vintage LM741 for ~$120. A brand new updated 250 was right around $100. Wow, those days are gone aren't they? LOL. I wanted the Yellow to stand on its own, free from classic 250 associations.

Back when you could get 250's for cheap I would tell people that if they wanted "classic 250 tones" to just buy a 250. But now that the prices are creeping into Spiral territory on the low end, and surpassing it on the high, the Yellow is looking like an alternative to forking out $400-$700 for a vintage LM741. I'm probably missing a trick by not offering a faithful 250 clone. It would probably be a good business decision to modify the Yellow to take advantage of the increased interest in the classic 250...

TL;DR

So now finally on to the answer to your question. By mixing with the 80n (previously I used the Nanolog N2), you are right that that coloration will always be there. I do offer a mod to have the toggle selections to be discrete, w/o mixing the 80n, for an up-charge. And if you use setting #3 on the Girth control with a modded discrete clipping Yellow version set to Silicon, it is basically a stock 250.

Thank you for the detailed reply, Tom. Very much appreciated. I totally understand that your intention, with the Yellow overdrive, was not to simply clone the DOD-250, but rather to use it as a template upon which to offer additional sonic possibilities.

I will fire you off an email, as I would be interested in the modded version.

Cheers,
John

Wolfboy1

Grandpa but...Not Yet Old!
Silver Supporting Member
Tom,
I have one of your original Black Rose fuzz boxes and love it. I play mostly through a Mesa Express on clean channel and do bar band cover songs. Which of your pedals should I next acquire? I have Marshall tones covered with several Lovepedals but kind of looking for something a little different like the Black Rose. Secret Chord, Red Drive, Brute, Yellow....what do recommend?

Lauri Vennonen

Silver Supporting Member
Tom,
I have one of your original Black Rose fuzz boxes and love it. I play mostly through a Mesa Express on clean channel and do bar band cover songs. Which of your pedals should I next acquire? I have Marshall tones covered with several Lovepedals but kind of looking for something a little different like the Black Rose. Secret Chord, Red Drive, Brute, Yellow....what do recommend?
I got an Allora to keep company for my Black. A lot darker, thicker and more gating beast. Made me dial my Black in a new way. Love them both.

Tom Von Kramm

Tom,

Are you looking for some occasional spice or something foundational?

RevLoveShot

Silver Supporting Member
1642183805940.gif

Tom Von Kramm

Spice mostly, happy with my foundational tone.

Okay so that rules out Secret Chord, unless you just want it as a solo boost. I'd say Brute or Allora then, Brute if you are a mostly a rhythm/riffer player, Allora for melty leads.

Also I just noticed on the new Source Audio video for the Zio there is a Red Channel drive prominently displayed. Check out the video at about :051 for first display.

We're both really proud of the Red. I don't think Christopher's Tone Pyramid design gets enough credit.

Last edited:

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member
I think the HBE UFO comes pretty close. TBH, it isn't that I haven't found the perfect octave fuzz, it is more that I just don't dig octave fuzz. ;)
HBE UFO is my favorite octave fuzz as well, it doesn't thin out like others can and the octaves work almost all over the neck. Figures you would choose that one since I love how you tune your fuzzes. It would be cool to hear your take on one eventually.

Tom Von Kramm

HBE UFO is my favorite octave fuzz as well, it doesn't thin out like others can and the octaves work almost all over the neck. Figures you would choose that one since I love how you tune your fuzzes. It would be cool to hear your take on one eventually.

I'm being a little flip when I say I don't like octave fuzz, because there are some I like. The HBE UFO is a good example of that for the reasons you state, but there is also this thing they either do, or don't do on chords. That "scramble" thing that a lot of people dig drives me nuts. Instead, I like that strong "extra note" that the HBE UFO and the fOXX Tone Machine do. You have to incorporate it, or work around it, but at least it is a note. I think it works well with power chords, and while it can get a little chaotic with some chords, you can find stuff that works.

The way I describe it is like a mono synth where it will jump up or down but not both: Dee-Doo. Instead of the scramble that goes MEEEEEEErrrrrrooooowwwwww!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom