• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

splatt/DT music...

lucky111

Silver Supporting Member
In 1998, I was an opera student at Portland State University as well as playing guitar, trying to break into some type/any type of "scene" in PDX--my vocal skills were more advanced than my guitar skills regardless of my desire to be a working guitarist, hence the trying to break into, etc.

Around this time I met a beautiful artist named McKinley & saw numerous shows of hers, both solo & with a band. Her current record was called Big Top Shop Talk & I was smitten by both her voice & songwriting as well as the production & playing on the record.

My favorite drummer in the world, Matt Chamberlain, played on the record. It was produced by David Torn, who also played various instruments/sounds. The combination of singable melodies, sophisticated harmonic structure & arrangements of the tunes, & the ethereal nature of DT's guitar work make this one of my favorite records of the last 20 years. If you have never heard it, seek it out!

Mr. Torn--thanks so much for making such beautiful music; this record is a work of art & I've never heard Christine sound more beautiful than in this setting. Well done!

Favorite tracks:
Movie
Buffalo
Lucky Child (This one could fit in the thread about songs that bring tears to your eyes)

Cheers All!
luk

Last edited:

chrisr777

Speaking of splatt, I saw a screening of That Awkward Moment last night. The movie itself was just O.K., but it had a wonderful score by none other than David Torn. Really enjoyed the soundtrack David.

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
I recently started getting into David's music, because of TGP.

Great Stuff! Love it! :aok

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
My coworker spent his teens in Binghamton NY in the late sixties/early seventies, and spoke often about one of his favorite bands of that time, the Zobo Funn Band, that played in bars in the area. One day he walked by and saw a copy of Cloud About Mercury on my desk, and went nuts. He said the astounding guitarist in the Zobo Funn band was none other than David Torn. I had to hide Cloud About Mercury from my coworker as he keeps trying to steal it.

Apparently he was french kissing his girl one day at the edge of the stage during a Saturday evening Zobo Funn performance, and Torn told him from the stage they needed to go to church the next day. Too funny!

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
i'm a big DT fan! for me it's all about "prezens". that is one of my favorite recordings ever!

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Platinum Supporting Member
dt is in heavy rotation down here. I love music so much it makes my teeth hurt but quite often I tire of the conventionally "beautiful" and begin to resent the formulas that make conventionally beautiful music. (I feel the same of other art forms.) dt has big ears, a big heart and is fearless about peering into the abyss and reporting back to the rest of us. I admire that and support it with my hard-earned cash.

Mark Robinson

dt is in heavy rotation down here. I love music so much it makes my teeth hurt but quite often I tire of the conventionally "beautiful" and begin to resent the formulas that make conventionally beautiful music. (I feel the same of other art forms.) dt has big ears, a big heart and is fearless about peering into the abyss and reporting back to the rest of us. I admire that and support it with my hard-earned cash.
I dunno man, met Torn a couple times now and his ears look pretty normally sized to me really, so why are you picking on him? :huh
But now that I think about it, his feet are quite large! His heart is grande too!

Great Post Dex

Victor R

Native American
He represents everything I wish I was as a musician. I'll need two lifetimes to reach his level of proficiency, but at least if gives me something to strive for..... in the next life.

NorCal_Val

"Polytown", "Tripping Over God", and "BLUE Nights" are three of my absolute favorite albums. Just wonderful music!!!

falconerpdx

My first introduction to Dave's music was this song. His interpretation of the source material is brilliant.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
In 1998, I was an opera student at Portland State University as well as playing guitar, trying to break into some type/any type of "scene" in PDX--my vocal skills were more advanced than my guitar skills regardless of my desire to be a working guitarist, hence the trying to break into, etc.

Around this time I met a beautiful artist named McKinley & saw numerous shows of hers, both solo & with a band. Her current record was called Big Top Shop Talk & I was smitten by both her voice & songwriting as well as the production & playing on the record.

My favorite drummer in the world, Matt Chamberlain, played on the record. It was produced by David Torn, who also played various instruments/sounds. The combination of singable melodies, sophisticated harmonic structure & arrangements of the tunes, & the ethereal nature of DT's guitar work make this one of my favorite records of the last 20 years. If you have never heard it, seek it out!

Mr. Torn--thanks so much for making such beautiful music; this record is a work of art & I've never heard Christine sound more beautiful than in this setting. Well done!

Favorite tracks:
Movie
Buffalo
Lucky Child (This one could fit in the thread about songs that bring tears to your eyes)

Cheers All!
luk
wow; hey!
i never saw this thread before today.

i still harbor a lot of love & respect for that music, those perfromances by them peoples & that recording!
i love mck, to this day, too.
and bob stark (who used to be a member, here)!

shwn

Quick gear question: do you prefer the Deliverance amp or the Sig:X?

Sent from my iPhone

Pablomago

I saw McKinley solo one time at the Fox Theater in Boulder, CO opening for David Crosby's CPR. I met her in front of the theater before the doors opened and talked for a while before the show. She was really cool. I got either a copy of her full CD or a single from it. I'll have to dig it out and give it a spin. She was on Samson Music as was CPR. Thanks for the reminder.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom