Splawn 100w Quickrod...anyone ever play one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BoogieManSC, Feb 17, 2012.

1. BoogieManSC

BoogieManSC Supporting Member

Just wondering if anyone has 1st-hand experience with the Splawn 100w Quickrod amp. There's someone within a couple hours from me who has one for a pretty good price that is a head and 2x12 cabinet, mint condition. I've looked on YouTube, etc...and sometimes it's hard to really get the true tone of the amp when viewing videos, etc.

Is it basically a hot-rodded JCM800'ish type of sound? Some of the cleans I heard didn't sound too bad online, but again....so hard to tell online.

Thanks very much!

2. ProToolsGuy

ProToolsGuy Member

I own one and absolutely LOVE it. I've recorded several guitarists in my studio and everyone who pays it LOVES it. I can't say enough great things about this amp.

3. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

Great amps! Love the QR.

4. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I own one too and love the amp. The OD channel gears will get you from old school AC/DC to modern shred tones. But, be forewarned, this is a very unforgiving amp. If your technique is not up to snuff, it will show. This amp along with my Carol-Ann OD2 force me to be a better player. The Quickrod is a very dynamic, touch sensitive amp. This amp is like riding a very strong stallion. If you don't steer it right, it will throw you. Handle it properly, and it will reward you with awesome hot-rodded Marshall tones

The clean channel is very clean, but the tone controls are very interactive, it took me a while to figure out how to dial it in, but it gives you a great Marshall style clean that is plenty loud to keep up with the OD channel. I will be honest and tell you that I much prefer the clean tone of my Carol-Ann or the Sunn S100 clone I built. But, it still very usable for most applications...

I have made a few clips. Just look for FusionBear66 at you tube

5. BoogieManSC

Guys, thanks so very much for your information. This is VERY helpful....it would have taken me HOURS to dig online and hopefully try to find as much info/feedback/opinions, etc.

Damn...I want one now! The guy has the head and 2x12 cabinet for $1,500. Here's the thing though, the QR is built (by request of this guy) in the Nitro head enclosure. Check it out here:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/2801375396.html

Would that be a deal-breaker for you guys? I think it looks pretty wicked, myself...but just looking for opinions...

6. BoogieManSC

7. ProToolsGuy

ProToolsGuy Member

That's a STEAL!! Get it. You'll be over the moon!!