Splawn amp - WOW! Anyone else use them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by oxtone, Jun 5, 2008.

1. oxtone

oxtone Member

Recently I tried a used Splawn "Quick Rod" amp, and it sounded GREAT the moment I plugged into it! It is probably the best hot-rodded "Marshall"
    type amp I've ever tried. My Walnut "The STRAT" with Vintage Vibe SP-90's sounded fantastic with this amp, either clean or in overdrive. The clean channel was very, very good, better than any Marshall I've tried/used. The distortion channel was thick and harmonic, and very musical.

Anyone else out there with Splawn love?

2. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

I love my Quickrod. Like an idiot I contemplated selling it because my new band is bit more on the indie rock side. Luckily I didn't and the Splawn sounds great and contrasts well with the other guitar players Fender Twin Reverb. It's a lot more versatile than people give it credit for.

3. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I had an early quickrod and it was a mean machine. Scott Splawn was very nice to deal with too!

4. fuzzfan1

fuzzfan1 Member

North of the Cheddar Curtain-Shorewood Wisconsin
    I had a Version 2 QR and loved it. I do miss it at times, but my hearing sure doesn't! :AOK I sold it because it really had to be CRANKED to sound it's best. I just didn't need a 100 watt Fire Breather for my amp needs anymore so it went bye bye.

I do agree that it's one of the best, if not the best, Hot Rodded Marshalls out there!

I also agree that Scott is a pleasure to deal with and a True Gentleman as well!

Don't hesitate to deal with Scott direct, but if you're looking for a used QR they are seemingly always available over at HC. :)

5. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

I recommend using lower wattage speakers with it. Once I switched from 60w Celestions Vintage 30's to 30w Scumbacks I was able to get better tone without getting retarded loud.

6. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

7. oxtone

oxtone Member

fuzzfan1,

I agree, the Quick Rod sounds best cranked, and man, is it LOUD! With the gigs I do these days, stage volume is an issue, so, no Splawn for me,
    I'm afraid. But, I was able to get a usable sound out of it at a lower volume. Hmmmm....:JAM

I liked Gear #2 the best - seemed like the middle ground worked best with my pickups. If I was doing big gigs, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
    My one concern was the Solo knob - it was too loud the moment the pot engages! I wish it had a slower taper for more control over the Solo function.

8. jonny toetags

jonny toetags Member

Great amps.
    I love my purple Competition.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  9. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

+1 A class act all the way!

I had two quick rods and they were great for that smokin Marshall tone. I think I liked the original version the best, but the new amps have a nicer clean channel if that is important to you. :)

10. howthewestwas1

howthewestwas1 Supporting Member

been a huge splawn fan for over two years now. i own a quickrod and a nitro. both amps are killer. the quickrod is what first sold me on splawns.

[​IMG]

11. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Great picture windsen, i've been looking at Splawn a lot lately, and those look great!

12. howthewestwas1

13. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I have a Splawn Super Stock. I haven't seen very many of these around, killer amps :AOK

[​IMG]

14. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

15. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

i just toggled through your recordings

great player

you are also getting better with your production too.

holy diver sounds great

hard to believe just an sm57!

good job:RoCkIn:eek::hide

16. howthewestwas1

thanks steve! yea i am really still learning the ins and outs of recording and production. my setup is as simple as it gets. single sm57 into an m-audio firewire solo into my laptop. sometimes its hit or miss for me. there are so many variables that come into the picture, even with just a single mic.

but thanks for the listens and kind words!

17. waylay00

waylay00 Member

I love my Quickrod. When I first demoed it with Josh Sage of Rebel Amps, I played it against a Voodoo V-Plex, a Wizard, an ENGL Powerball, an ENGL Blackmore, and an ENGL Invader.

For the tones I was seeking (70s blues/hard rock - ZZ Top, Humble Pie, UFO, Whitesnake, as well as some 80s like George Lynch, Demartini, Van Halen), The Quickrod smoked them all (except maybe the ENGL Blackmore).

Here's a video I did for a little competition called guitar idol just for kicks. Just a one take cut over a backing track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB548yhJzvE

18. Phil M

Phil M Member

I'm jealous of you. I have an '07 Quickrod that I use for my main amp, but I'd love to have this one for some variety. Doesn't this one have lower gain, but takes drive pedals better? I'm very picky about what sounds good augmenting the QR--some amps just seem to love being boosted by anything, but not the QR. I have found some matches though...

19. howthewestwas1

hey dude, i found out the sm57 i had been using was an ebay "fake". crazy huh? i went out and got a brand new one and re-did that last clip. huge difference in my opinion: http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=1619

the new mic is much clearer and doesn't have that muffled/distant thing going on.

20. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

A couple splawns QR's here, too. Version two and three. I do like the v2 better. has a little more overtone to the sound. I found my sound with the scumbacks H75/M75 mixed in each of the splawn cabs. Now one marshall cab has all H75's. Very good too.

Scott Splawn is a great guy to work with, and has some of the best customer service in the industry.

my old rig.

[​IMG]

OK Check it out, the only Splawn Competition Combo made (that I know of). 50 watts, loaded with scumbacks h75's.
    [​IMG]