Splawn Amplification Official TGP Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DonaldDemon, Mar 29, 2015.

1. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Official TGP Splawn thread! Everything and anything about these wonderful rock machines. Seems to be more talk of these amps here and since the Splawn Forum is pretty dead maybe we can have some lively discussion here. I know some of the old Splawn forum guys are here so stop in to say hi or offer advice for those interested in these amps.

I've used my 2005 KT88 Pro Mod as my #1 gigging and recording amp for over 8 years now and nothing has come close to unseating it from the throne. Mine has the loop volume added by Scott, 3 pre amp tube, Heyboer transformers, and 3-button footswitch. I also picked up a 2010 Quick Rod, that has a little more saturation and compression.

I've come to identify my sound with the articulate, tight, and aggressive mid/high-mid growl of this hot-rodded M-style beast. Amp cleans up beautifully with the volume knob and has never given me troubles in 8+ years of gigging/rehearsing (other than the occasional tube failure). To top it off, Scott Splawn has always been awesome to deal with and is a true example of outstanding customer service. I have no affiliation other than being a Splawn user but I have much respect and wanted to show my appreciation for such killer amps at reasonable prices.

Here is the Pro Mod Doom wall:

[​IMG]

4x12 and 2x12 with Small Block Eminence speakers. Though I have gotten great sounds on other speakers and cabs, these really do compliment the amps best. I use the 4x12 at most original gigs and the 2x12 for cover gigs in smaller bars, like so:

[​IMG]

My 2010 Quick Rod, purchased in Feb 2016:

[​IMG]

Ok, let's see some Splawns!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Lespaulsignature 74 likes this.
  2. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

3. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

LP & Splawn = RAWK!! :dude

4. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Member

I've been on the Splawn board since 09 when I got my first Quick Rod. To slow there, I check back now and then. Here's my 2012 QR.

[​IMG]

Nitrobattery likes this.
  5. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

Never owned or played a Splawn but would love to try one someday. I've heard some great clips of them and also heard great things about Mr. Splawn's customer service approach. I have played thru a Splawn 2x12 cab and it is a great cab.

So I'll post my support & interest! :wave

6. David Garner

David Garner Member

I don't own one but I'm a fan. I do have a set of Small Blocks in my AC30 though (installed by previous owner) and they sound fantastic.

7. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Hey BoneSaw, I do remember you being there. That place was hopping for a short while and then just died off. Some good guys were there though. Love that color scheme on your QR!

:aok 3 pre-amp versions were supposedly more aggressive. The newest I tried were a 2009 version, I'd like to play some of the newest revisions.

Love their cabs as well. I actually sold my Bogner Classic cab which is always highly regarded for a new Splawn cab. The Bogner sounded amazing (kind of wish I still had it) but I don't think V30's are the best with these amps.

I have to say they are my favorite speaker. Similar to a greenback but much more bass and less nasally in the mids, plus they handle 55w each. My only gripe is I feel they don’t record as well as some other speakers but for live playing the have been the best so far for me.

8. Hammered

Hammered Supporting Member

2012 Suoer Sport and 09 Quick Rod . I'm thinking about getting the SS converted to EL34s

[​IMG]

9. HoboMan

Hmm, any details on what's involved with this?

10. Daverock

Daverock Member

Hi guys :) '14 Quickrod EL34

[​IMG]

t.hendrix likes this.
  11. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

No pictures this morning but I have a Snakeskin covered 1x12 Streetrod Combo , and a Black SuperComp head. . They both are 2 of my favorite amps and I guess I'm a big Splawn fanboy now. Before buying these I read loads of funny comments about funny Splawn mids, and heard mostly the best sounding clips on the internet . . .So I had to make up my own mind. I found you the 'mids' knob to be EXTREMELY useful on both of my Splawns and just their sound and feel and the way they react to od pedals. Carry on . Eric

12. Hammered

Hammered Supporting Member

Scott at Splawn made it sound like an easy job for either them to do it or a tech that knows what he's doing. Said the bias has to be rewired and some work done to the transformers. I'm gonna hopefully have a local tech do vs sending it back to Splawn

13. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Nice. Any reason for ditching the 6V6? I've never owned an amp with those tubes, wonder how they do in the Splawn circuit.

Nice pairing!

Yep, lots of weird mids talk and other over-exaggerated claims at one point. Hard to tell what the circumstances were to those making the claims. Let's face it, these amps were meant to be played loud and cut through a mix. Even using the MV or loop master, it still sounds best un-neutered. Before I had the loop volume mine was too loud for Madison Square Bedroom and didn't sound good tuned down too low. It took me a week or so to get used to the whole feel of the amp, coming from saturated gain monsters, but now I can't have it any other way. Best part about the amps for me are extremely consistent tone. No tweaking to find that sound, all the settings sound good and the amp always provides great tone with ease.

14. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

:agree VERY consistently great tone, and also they're not 1-tone-wonders. They are very versatile. I don't use the loop volume controls on either of mine as I don't have to , but in experimenting using them , the tone and feel is still all there! Well we better quit posting about them too much as the prices might get driven up!

15. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

'Madison Square Bedroom'

:spit

Pastafarian likes this.
  16. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

I love Splawn amps.

I've owned two of them - a Nitro head and 2x12" cab, and a Street Rod combo. Played both of them live and at home. I had the loop volume on the Street Rod, and it did a nice job of bringing the volume down to levels I could stand at home.

In my opinion, the amps needed to be pretty loud before the feel was there - but that was no surprise. Sold them both, and am now playing smaller amps, as 95% of my playing is at home, jamming and recording, and I like to get more of the power tube type thing going.

I will own one again, but it will be the little 20 watt Super Sport this time. Splawns sound great, and I had no problems with the 'weird mids' thing heard about from some guys.

17. HoboMan

They definitely like to be played loud so the Supersport is more than enough wattage for me.
    I've never had it past halfway at a gig. With the volume up a third I'm blowing out eardrums.

I set my individual channel volume & gain settings and then use the loop master as my main master volume.
    That way I only have to adjust one volume knob as needed during a gig.

18. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Member

Definitely want a Super Sport, I barely can crack open my Quick Rod most of the time,but I am holding out for a new model. What ever became of the Decennial? They posted a pic of the PCB on Facebook but haven't heard anymore. Also that mini Nitro looks cool.

19. Daverock

Daverock Member

I play with a torpedo reload at home, so I can run the QR and SLO quite loud volumewise ...