• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Splawn Amplification Official TGP Thread

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
So I took a chance and bought a Emi Legend V1216. When I get it, I'll report. I will try this in my ISP porred 1x 12 cab. Stay tuned...

DonaldDemon

I've been using my Marshall 6960a cab with Eminence Man O Wars and while it does sound good, those speakers are LOUD and a bit harsh. They'll take your damn head off!! I much prefer my Splawn cabs with Small Blocks but I needed an extra cab to leave at my bassists house and this was cheap.

shanesiegle

So I took a chance and bought a Emi Legend V1216. When I get it, I'll report. I will try this in my ISP porred 1x 12 cab. Stay tuned...
I have that mixed with a V30 in both of my 2x12 cabinets (one Bogner and one Avatar). That combo together is ideal to my ears. Great speaker on it's own, fairly balanced across the spectrum without spikey mids or anything. Works well with most every amp.

JYD

Curious if anyone has played the a recent 50w and compared it to the 100w's. How well does the 50w 'punch' compared to the 100w? My old 100w Pro Stock had a TON of bass and punch, so I would think the 50w would have that as well.

shanesiegle

Curious if anyone has played the a recent 50w and compared it to the 100w's. How well does the 50w 'punch' compared to the 100w? My old 100w Pro Stock had a TON of bass and punch, so I would think the 50w would have that as well.
Shouldn't be a drastic difference at all, I have removed two tubes in my Pro Mod (el34's) and it broke up a little earlier and not quite the low end but definitely not a huge change.

JYD

Shouldn't be a drastic difference at all, I have removed two tubes in my Pro Mod (el34's) and it broke up a little earlier and not quite the low end but definitely not a huge change.
cool. My old Splawn 100w has huge low end. I usually dialed the bass at 10:00, maybe noon depending on the cab. So I presume on the 50w it’s just a matter of turning it up a bit more to still get that punch.

I play live weekly now and I’m
Always mic’ing my cab and and never have my volume higher than 11:00 on my JJ100.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
The Emi V1216 arrives today. I will report on my initial impressions and then after it breaks in.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
OK guys, I may have found a holy grail for my Quickrod. The Emi Legend V1216 is perfect for my Quickrod. I set my Quickrod for half power, set the impedance selector to 8 ohms (so that the actual load matches two EL34's instead of the load required for four tubes). It tames the high end just right. The clean channel sounds great through it as well. The speaker is a little tight right now as it is new, but the mids and the lows are perfect. I am really impressed.

Emi V1216
I added some rubber feet to the head so it sits properly on smaller cabs...

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Gear 1? Using loop volume? What speakers? Tasty playing, man. I dig it!
Thank you very much!

Yes, Gear 1 almost maxed, OD2 selected via the foot switch. Loop volume maxed. Maxon AD999 in the loop. ISP ported 1x12 loaded with an Eminence Legend V1216. Amp set at half power, impedance set to 8 ohms, cab is 16 ohms.

DonaldDemon

OK guys, I may have found a holy grail for my Quickrod. The Emi Legend V1216 is perfect for my Quickrod. I set my Quickrod for half power, set the impedance selector to 8 ohms (so that the actual load matches two EL34's instead of the load required for four tubes). It tames the high end just right. The clean channel sounds great through it as well. The speaker is a little tight right now as it is new, but the mids and the lows are perfect. I am really impressed.

Emi V1216
I added some rubber feet to the head so it sits properly on smaller cabs...
Ive been looking at that model for a while, good to know it works well with the Splawn. I recently got a Marshall 4x12 with Man o Wars and while I’m a fan of Eminence speakers, I don’t love those, they can be very brash with the QR. I was thinking of replacing them with the Legends or something similar.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Ive been looking at that model for a while, good to know it works well with the Splawn. I recently got a Marshall 4x12 with Man o Wars and while I’m a fan of Eminence speakers, I don’t love those, they can be very brash with the QR. I was thinking of replacing them with the Legends or something similar.
The legends are great with this amp. I have a deizel 2x12 loaded with G12T-75's that are way too bright with my QR. Day and night difference! I wanted to go the Scumback route and put a couple of M75LD's in that cab, but the V1216's sound just as good and are way less expensive.

DonaldDemon

The legends are great with this amp. I have a deizel 2x12 loaded with G12T-75's that are way too bright with my QR. Day and night difference! I wanted to go the Scumback route and put a couple of M75LD's in that cab, but the V1216's sound just as good and are way less expensive.
Even better to know! I agree on the modern G12T-75's but the old white label ones sound pretty great with my QR. A band I play with has a 1960a loaded with them and the Splawn rocks through that.

JYD

I keep coming back to Splawns to give them another shot over my Friedmans. Would you get the 50w or 100w if there's not much of a difference in the actual volume/loudness between the two? I keep thinking the 50w would deliver the goods at slightly lower volume and still have that Splawn "huge" sound and punch.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
I keep coming back to Splawns to give them another shot over my Friedmans. Would you get the 50w or 100w if there's not much of a difference in the actual volume/loudness between the two? I keep thinking the 50w would deliver the goods at slightly lower volume and still have that Splawn "huge" sound and punch.
Not much difference. I'd be perfectly happy with a 50 watt Splawn.

shanesiegle

I don't think it would matter, i'm with fusionbear I would go with the 50. Volume and sound wouldn't be much different but you would only need to buy two tubes at a time vs four for retubing.

Reactions: JYD

JYD

Not much difference. I'd be perfectly happy with a 50 watt Splawn.
I don't think it would matter, i'm with fusionbear I would go with the 50. Volume and sound wouldn't be much different but you would only need to buy two tubes at a time vs four for retubing.
So the volume difference isn't that between the 100w and 50w, is what I'm gathering. Then I would assume the 50w is still quite loud, and you have about the same amount of 'control' on both 100w and 50w.

I'm sure the 50w has huge punch over a lot of other amps, because that's just what Splawns do.

So what would the real different be between the two?

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
So the volume difference isn't that between the 100w and 50w, is what I'm gathering. Then I would assume the 50w is still quite loud, and you have about the same amount of 'control' on both 100w and 50w.

I'm sure the 50w has huge punch over a lot of other amps, because that's just what Splawns do.

So what would the real different be between the two?
Overall punch and clarity. At the full power setting on my QR, the punch and clarity is immense. In the half power mode, it still has plenty of punch, but it isn't as "in your face" if you will. But, I expect the 50 watt model with smaller transformers might have just a tad less punch. More than enough though, IMO...

Trending Topics