• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Splawn Amplification Official TGP Thread

shanesiegle

So the volume difference isn't that between the 100w and 50w, is what I'm gathering. Then I would assume the 50w is still quite loud, and you have about the same amount of 'control' on both 100w and 50w.

I'm sure the 50w has huge punch over a lot of other amps, because that's just what Splawns do.

So what would the real different be between the two?
Fusionbear's response is spot on.

JYD

Overall punch and clarity. At the full power setting on my QR, the punch and clarity is immense. In the half power mode, it still has plenty of punch, but it isn't as "in your face" if you will. But, I expect the 50 watt model with smaller transformers might have just a tad less punch. More than enough though, IMO...
Makes sense. So, I guess I'd rather have the punch of the 100w if there really is no difference in volume control between the 50 and 100w. Plus, more headroom. Wouldn't y'all agree?

DonaldDemon

Overall punch and clarity. At the full power setting on my QR, the punch and clarity is immense. In the half power mode, it still has plenty of punch, but it isn't as "in your face" if you will. But, I expect the 50 watt model with smaller transformers might have just a tad less punch. More than enough though, IMO...
Yep this. It’s even more evident on my older 05 Pro Mod than my 10 QR, where the difference is not as apparent. I never use half power on the Pro Mod because of that.

Jchrisf

The legends are great with this amp. I have a deizel 2x12 loaded with G12T-75's that are way too bright with my QR. Day and night difference! I wanted to go the Scumback route and put a couple of M75LD's in that cab, but the V1216's sound just as good and are way less expensive.
Are the V1216s a high watt Greenback?

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
I keep coming back to Splawns to give them another shot over my Friedmans. Would you get the 50w or 100w if there's not much of a difference in the actual volume/loudness between the two? I keep thinking the 50w would deliver the goods at slightly lower volume and still have that Splawn "huge" sound and punch.
I’ll break from the others here and say DEFINITELY go 100. I had four 100 watters and one 50 watter. The 50 did not sound nearly as good to me at band volumes - had I got the 50 first, I never would’ve bought any more Splawns.

the 100 watt power section is what you want - not for volume, for girth and balls.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
I have another awesome speaker recommendation for a 2x12 cab: Scumback BM75LD/M75LD combo. I just did this in my Deizel FL 2x12 cab. It sounds awesome with my Quickrod! I'll make a clip later this week...
A shout out to @Scumback Speakers for always being awesome in service and making some amazing sounding speakers! Thanks again Jim!

DonaldDemon

I’ll break from the others here and say DEFINITELY go 100. I had four 100 watters and one 50 watter. The 50 did not sound nearly as good to me at band volumes - had I got the 50 first, I never would’ve bought any more Splawns.

the 100 watt power section is what you want - not for volume, for girth and balls.
My 2010 QR actually sounds quite good at 50 watts/half power mode. It has a little more give and sag and less punch. Of course, I prefer the full power 99% of the time. My 05 Pro Mod, conversely, does not sound as good in half power mode. I think I've used it twice and never tried it again. Your 50 watter was a low B+ version right?

Scumback Speakers

I have another awesome speaker recommendation for a 2x12 cab: Scumback BM75LD/M75LD combo. I just did this in my Deizel FL 2x12 cab. It sounds awesome with my Quickrod! I'll make a clip later this week...
A shout out to @Scumback Speakers for always being awesome in service and making some amazing sounding speakers! Thanks again Jim!
You're welcome! A couple of clients had recently done that mix and said it ruled. I guess you've confirmed what they wrote me. Enjoy!

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
My 2010 QR actually sounds quite good at 50 watts/half power mode. It has a little more give and sag and less punch. Of course, I prefer the full power 99% of the time. My 05 Pro Mod, conversely, does not sound as good in half power mode. I think I've used it twice and never tried it again. Your 50 watter was a low B+ version right?
when I asked Splawn at tge time of the build, he said all his 50 watters are B+ by default.

From 2006-2017, I had 2006 (2), 2007, 2012 and 2014 (the 50 watt). The only one I haven’t had is the newer “loaded” models. I’ll take the late 2006/2007 heads every time. They just sounded better to my ears. Really special. Would not get a 50 watt Splawn again.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
when I asked Splawn at tge time of the build, he said all his 50 watters are B+ by default.

From 2006-2017, I had 2006 (2), 2007, 2012 and 2014 (the 50 watt). The only one I haven’t had is the newer “loaded” models. I’ll take the late 2006/2007 heads every time. They just sounded better to my ears. Really special. Would not get a 50 watt Splawn again.
I can totally see your point. My 2010 QR is running at 490+ in hundred watt mode. When I put it in half power mode, the B+ actually goes up a little because two tubes are no longer drawing current from the PT. So, it is a very stout 50 watt amp. If the B+ is only about 400 to 420 on the new 50 watt models, I'm sure it would be too loose for my taste...

DonaldDemon

Funny that I recall several members on the old Splawn forum were not liking the changes on the 2007 amps. I think that was when he moved to 4 preamp tubes initially? I can't remember the details. I do have to say as much as I really LOVE my 05 Pro Mod it doesn't get as much use these days because it's so damn loud, even with the added loop volume. My 10 QR is getting most of the play today because I can tame it easier.

You may be right about the 50 watters being all lower B+.

I can totally see your point. My 2010 QR is running at 490+ in hundred watt mode. When I put it in half power mode, the B+ actually goes up a little because two tubes are no longer drawing current from the PT. So, it is a very stout 50 watt amp. If the B+ is only about 400 to 420 on the new 50 watt models, I'm sure it would be too loose for my taste...
Interesting, I assume my 2010 QR is the same at 50 watts since my B+ at 100 is around 495. Maybe that's why I really like the half power mode on that one. I'll have to check next time I retube. I've always wondered if I should just keep it at 50 watts and only took two tubes but i would rebias and wouldn't be able to use my 16 ohm cab.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Funny that I recall several members on the old Splawn forum were not liking the changes on the 2007 amps. I think that was when he moved to 4 preamp tubes initially? I can't remember the details. I do have to say as much as I really LOVE my 05 Pro Mod it doesn't get as much use these days because it's so damn loud, even with the added loop volume. My 10 QR is getting most of the play today because I can tame it easier.

You may be right about the 50 watters being all lower B+.

Interesting, I assume my 2010 QR is the same at 50 watts since my B+ at 100 is around 495. Maybe that's why I really like the half power mode on that one. I'll have to check next time I retube. I've always wondered if I should just keep it at 50 watts and only took two tubes but i would rebias and wouldn't be able to use my 16 ohm cab.
When you set your amp to half power, you change the primary impedance to double the value of 4 power tubes, so you need to set your selector to half of what your cab is to match. So, in half power mode, if your cab is 16 ohm, set your amp's selector to 8 ohms.

DonaldDemon

When you set your amp to half power, you change the primary impedance to double the value of 4 power tubes, so you need to set your selector to half of what your cab is to match. So, in half power mode, if your cab is 16 ohm, set your amp's selector to 8 ohms.
You're right, I completely forgot about that, haven't used half power in years!

JYD

I've heard really good things about the BM75LD's. ...I've been looking for something to try instead of my V30/H75 mix.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
I've heard really good things about the BM75LD's. ...I've been looking for something to try instead of my V30/H75 mix.
Do it! You won't be disappointed. I am very happy with the mix I have now. The BMLD/MLD mix is my new fav for my QR...

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
It's really hard to recommend speakers over a forum, but the Scumbacks I have that I use with my Splawns really are fantastic. . I've been using Jenkins 2x12 with an H75/M75 combination (both 65 watters) and I love it. . I've had a 100 watt M75 and 100 watt J75 kicking around and last night put them in an open-backed Pine /Tweed 2x12 I have and holy moly they sound fantastic together. It's sort of a waste of the '100 watt' speakers in 1 way, but if I'll use them this way, it's not a waste .Tonewise they kick all kinds of ass. I haven't tried the Bm75's and really don't need to as I'm all set, but I'm sure they're most excellent as well. .

P.s. btw someone was wondering about the B+ on the 50 watt Splawns, and I have a Mini-Competition that I'm using at my gigs now and I can check the B+ next time I remember. I also have a 50 watt Supercomp that has all kinds of balls to it.

Eric

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
It's really hard to recommend speakers over a forum, but the Scumbacks I have that I use with my Splawns really are fantastic. . I've been using Jenkins 2x12 with an H75/M75 combination (both 65 watters) and I love it. . I've had a 100 watt M75 and 100 watt J75 kicking around and last night put them in an open-backed Pine /Tweed 2x12 I have and holy moly they sound fantastic together. It's sort of a waste of the '100 watt' speakers in 1 way, but if I'll use them this way, it's not a waste .Tonewise they kick all kinds of ass. I haven't tried the Bm75's and really don't need to as I'm all set, but I'm sure they're most excellent as well. .

P.s. btw someone was wondering about the B+ on the 50 watt Splawns, and I have a Mini-Competition that I'm using at my gigs now and I can check the B+ next time I remember. I also have a 50 watt Supercomp that has all kinds of balls to it.

Eric
When I owned a Splawn 2x12 (fantastic cab BTW), I had the Scumback M75/J75 combo and that was fantastic with my Quickrod. But, in a 2x12 format, I prefer the BM75LD/M75LD combo much more. In my Scumback 4x12 though, the M75 rules!

JYD

OK guys, I may have found a holy grail for my Quickrod. The Emi Legend V1216 is perfect for my Quickrod. I set my Quickrod for half power, set the impedance selector to 8 ohms (so that the actual load matches two EL34's instead of the load required for four tubes). It tames the high end just right. The clean channel sounds great through it as well. The speaker is a little tight right now as it is new, but the mids and the lows are perfect. I am really impressed.

Emi V1216
I added some rubber feet to the head so it sits properly on smaller cabs...
I've heard of other guys doing this to make their 100w a 50w, but also read that Scott does not recommend always running the amp this way. Any updates or claims to the contrary? I'm still torn between a 50w and 100w. On my old 100w, I basically always had the Loop Volume on on the staged we played, so I felt 'robbed' by that in a way.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
I've heard of other guys doing this to make their 100w a 50w, but also read that Scott does not recommend always running the amp this way. Any updates or claims to the contrary? I'm still torn between a 50w and 100w. On my old 100w, I basically always had the Loop Volume on on the staged we played, so I felt 'robbed' by that in a way.
Perhaps you are thinking of another way that could be problematic. If you leave the amp in full power mode and set the impedance to 8 ohms, but the cab is 16 ohms, it is an impedance mismatch and can cause some b+ voltage flyback that could potentially damage the OT and power tubes. The way I explained maintains an impedance balance and I know of no potential damage. Perhaps some of the TGP engineers might inform us.

Reactions: JYD

Trending Topics