• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Splawn Amplification Official TGP Thread

JYD

Here is a quick clip of my Quickrod I recently recorded. This is through the Deizel FL2x12 with the BM75LD/M75LD mix:

soubds great, man. How would you compare that speaker mic to Celestion variants? I always felt Celestions handles “harder rock chugg in’” better than the scums I had back in the day. Scums were great for more vintage stuff.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
soubds great, man. How would you compare that speaker mic to Celestion variants? I always felt Celestions handles “harder rock chugg in’” better than the scums I had back in the day. Scums were great for more vintage stuff.
It really depends on the cab. The Deizel cab keeps the Scummies nice and tight. But the hardest music I play is Judas Priest/Iron Maiden. If you're concerned, go up in magnet size: J 40 oz., then H 50 oz.. The bigger the mag, the tighter it will be. Get the LD to tame the highs. In a semi-open or full open, they can be a little loose, but not more than the originals they replicate.

DonaldDemon

Can anybody tell me what the power rating of a Competition with KT88s would be? Can't seem to find that info any where. Thanks.
With 2 KT88s the Competition will put out around 60 watts. Still loud as hell but a little less thump and punch as the 100 watters. My Pro Mod with 4 KT88s is around 120 watts.

DonaldDemon

No worries. Even the best amps will do that I find. But if it keeps most of it that's a success. There's more than tone that's lost at lower volumes. Percussion, presence, dimensionality all suffer. But keep as much growl as possible. Thank you.
The master volume on it's own is a bit touchy and can get loud really quick. The loop master is essential in getting the amp to be tamed to lower levels. Anything less than half on the loop master starts to negatively impact the tone IMO, in the ways you described. At home I use a combination of the loop volume at around 3/4, my Digitech Jamman at 3/4 and my parametric EQ is another level I can control. It seems like a lot going on but it all works perfectly to preserve the tone. I can get 99% of my tone at any volume.

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
They say there are no dumb questions . My Splawn SS head has two speaker outs and I want to run two separate 8 ohm 1x12 cabs. Is it as simple as plugging in both cabs , setting the impendence selector to 8 ohms and I'm good to go ? I was just confused as to what impendence I need to have the amp at 8 or 16 since It'll be two separate cabs . Thanks

DonaldDemon

They say there are no dumb questions . My Splawn SS head has two speaker outs and I want to run two separate 8 ohm 1x12 cabs. Is it as simple as plugging in both cabs , setting the impendence selector to 8 ohms and I'm good to go ? I was just confused as to what impendence I need to have the amp at 8 or 16 since It'll be two separate cabs . Thanks
With 2 cabs plugged into the parallel speaker outs that would give you 4 ohms, set your selector to that. If no 4 ohm option then you would need to connect the cabs in series to make 16 ohms. Those are your two options, asfaik.

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
Last edited:

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
Just wanted to say that I couldn't stay away from Splawn amps. I miss my Quickrod, but its too beastly an amp. I now have a 50 watt Mini Competition on order. This is my first order directly from Scott. All the other ones I have owned have been used. It will be nice to have a brand new one for a change. Mine will come with the new/old voicing switch and the mid scoop switch. I'll report when it comes...

DonaldDemon

Just wanted to say that I couldn't stay away from Splawn amps. I miss my Quickrod, but its too beastly an amp. I now have a 50 watt Mini Competition on order. This is my first order directly from Scott. All the other ones I have owned have been used. It will be nice to have a brand new one for a change. Mine will come with the new/old voicing switch and the mid scoop switch. I'll report when it comes...
If I was going to order a new one it would probably be exactly that. I'm mostly curious about the new/old switch and 50 watts + single channel is the way I would roll as well, congrats.

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
Can’t wait to see a pic of it. Really wish I would’ve kept my Competition but I’m happy with my Super Sports

Marioverkill

Hopefully you won't miss the "punch you in the gut " thump" of the 100 watter.

JYD

Did you get the amp?

Hopefully you won't miss the "punch you in the gut " thump" of the 100 watter.
And I am also curious about this on the 100 vs 50 watt difference in punch from a Splawn.

I may need to sell my JJ100 and am looking to replace with a Splawn. Used to have a Pro Stock. Loved it, but LOUD and lacked a bit of that 3D sound and feel the Friedmans have. But, I'm in a position where I need to sell some gear and replace it with something a bit less expensive.

I may also look at getting a used Comp, since I don't play clean very much and I got a really good dirty clean with the volume knob rolled off on Gear 1.

QUESTION: Does anyone have a currently Splawn and find it a bit lacking in saturation? My 2014 was VERY tight compared to my Friedmans, and I wanted the Splawn to have a bit more sag. Any suggestions, like a particular boost to get more sag?

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Did you get the amp?

And I am also curious about this on the 100 vs 50 watt difference in punch from a Splawn.

I may need to sell my JJ100 and am looking to replace with a Splawn. Used to have a Pro Stock. Loved it, but LOUD and lacked a bit of that 3D sound and feel the Friedmans have. But, I'm in a position where I need to sell some gear and replace it with something a bit less expensive.

I may also look at getting a used Comp, since I don't play clean very much and I got a really good dirty clean with the volume knob rolled off on Gear 1.

QUESTION: Does anyone have a currently Splawn and find it a bit lacking in saturation? My 2014 was VERY tight compared to my Friedmans, and I wanted the Splawn to have a bit more sag. Any suggestions, like a particular boost to get more sag?
Just to let you know, I always use boosts or od's with my Splawns as well as the gears . They absolutely MELT with the Mini-Comp.. Included would be a Suhr Koko-Boost, Fulltone OCD, Cusack Screamer, KHDK Ghoul Screamer, Caline Orange Burst (BB preamp clone that costs 30.00) , JRocket Dude, Oddfellow Caveman . . Those are just some I've used with it, but you could find 30.00 pedals or 200.00 od's that do exactly what you're asking with the Splawns. They add saturation and sag. I don't like Treble Boosters with it at all, and don't like Klons/Klones, but almost everything else works better than with any other amp I own

Eric

Last edited:

Trending Topics