Splawn Amplification Official TGP Thread

Goldie Glocks

Brad Noah from the original guitarist from the band Disciple had some combo of theirs and it was the best sounding amp I've ever played.
I just wish I could remember which one it was! I think it was a Quickrod?

~ss
Wow, I am from the same city as them and know a past member. Small world!

Oddly enough, said past member turned me on to Splawn in the first place. Queue Twilight Zone music.

ShredSquatch

Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
Wow, I am from the same city as them and know a past member. Small world!

Oddly enough, said past member turned me on to Splawn in the first place. Queue Twilight Zone music.
Small world indeed! I hope someone will know what that combo was! It was the best rock/metal sounding amp I've ever played!

~ss

ShredSquatch

Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
I'm no expert but it is to my understanding that Splawn makes the Street Rod as the combo version of their flagship Quick Rod so that would be the most likely candidate.
Yep I think that might be it... I did a quick goggle and this looks like the one Brad had.

~ss

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
@fusionbear how's it going with your new mini Comp?
Very happy with it! Pretty much all I've been playing since I got it. Last night was the first night I actually played my MKIII in a while....lol.... And, only because it was too cold in the play room where my Splawn resides...

I've been revisiting all the Ozzy tunes from the first two albums that I know with the mini-comp. The amp still has more than enough authority....

Reactions: JYD

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
I'm no expert but it is to my understanding that Splawn makes the Street Rod as the combo version of their flagship Quick Rod so that would be the most likely candidate.
Yep only combos that Splawn has issued since I've followed them almost 20 years was the Street Rod first, and then the Super Sport quite a few years later. Any other combo would've had to be some type of custom order from them, or maybe the guitarist himself converted something. Come to think of it , this is really strange, but I've never even seen a 2x12 Splawn combo!

Eric

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
Had the house to myself for a bit last night so I got to crank up the SS EL34. Bumped up the volume on the master and loop master just a bit and I've got a nice loud bedroom tone going on. I had toyed with the idea of getting another attenuator over the last week or so just because but the loop master volume does work really good. In my wife and kids defense they don't mind when I crank it up when they're home :)

JYD

Silver Supporting Member
Very happy with it! Pretty much all I've been playing since I got it. Last night was the first night I actually played my MKIII in a while....lol.... And, only because it was too cold in the play room where my Splawn resides...

I've been revisiting all the Ozzy tunes from the first two albums that I know with the mini-comp. The amp still has more than enough authority....
Are you happy enough with it being 50w or have any thoughts/remorse on not getting the 100w?

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Are you happy enough with it being 50w or have any thoughts/remorse on not getting the 100w?
No remorse and happy. Its got more than enough horsepower for my needs. If anything, I sometimes found the QR could overpower a band because it has so much low end punch....

Reactions: JYD

DonaldDemon

No remorse and happy. Its got more than enough horsepower for my needs. If anything, I sometimes found the QR could overpower a band because it has so much low end punch....
For sure, that low end can get nasty big, I have mine almost off on my Pro Mod. Do you notice any difference in sag or the high end? Would you say it feels similar to the 100w in half power?

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
For sure, that low end can get nasty big, I have mine almost off on my Pro Mod. Do you notice any difference in sag or the high end? Would you say it feels similar to the 100w in half power?
Its still tight enough. The filtering is the same as a 50 watt JCM800. I haven't looked under the hood yet to get voltage readings. This one has all classic tone iron.

DonaldDemon

Its still tight enough. The filtering is the same as a 50 watt JCM800. I haven't looked under the hood yet to get voltage readings. This one has all classic tone iron.
Did you spend much time with half power on your other Splawns? It hurts the tone on my old '05 but for some reason the '10 sounds better in half mode (in comparison) by a lot.

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
Have you by any chance tried a Tube Screamer type boost to tame the low end a bit ?

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Did you spend much time with half power on your other Splawns? It hurts the tone on my old '05 but for some reason the '10 sounds better in half mode (in comparison) by a lot.
No, always full power. But, I spent most my time in gear one. Gear two adds a nice bassy thump that can be a bit much in smaller rooms. Its really perfect for outdoor gigs though...

Trending Topics