Splawn Amplification Official TGP Thread

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
I have, but not a fan of the TS808 type pedals with any Splawn. The Timmy pedal works very well though...
A Cusack Screamer has been my favorite. It stays fairly transparent, tightens the low end adds a bit of boost and saturation but it doesn’t totally compress and mush out the tone like a lot of TS pedals. The Friedman Buxom Boost is a killer transparent boost pedal but for me was a bit too noisy

DonaldDemon

Have you by any chance tried a Tube Screamer type boost to tame the low end a bit ?
I'm with fusionbear, I don't care for TS pedals with these amps. Too much mid range for a mid heavy amp. I'd rather use a treble booster for that or I just dial the bass back on my Timmy or RC Booster.

In my basement studio room, where my band practices, I run a parametric EQ in the loop and use a HPF low shelf at around 100hz, -6db. That's because my room is small with low ceilings. Most places I play are big enough that I don't need to bring that to the gig.
No, always full power. But, I spent most my time in gear one. Gear two adds a nice bassy thump that can be a bit much in smaller rooms. Its really perfect for outdoor gigs though...
Ok, same here I never use gear 2 and always in full power. That's a good idea for outdoor gigs, never thought of using it for that.

kmanick

Silver Supporting Member
this is interesting almost every demo on youtube is in gear 2 of the quickrod but a lot of your guys live in gear one.
I've been living in gear one as well with the gain at about 11:00. Gear 2 adds a low thump and the voicing is a bit different, not bad but better for shred stuff.
I'm using the Sd1 model in the FX8 as an over drive and it sounds great , the nice thing about the analog versions of these pedals is that yo can control low/high cut and b/m/t, mine is very transparent and just adds "heat" surprisingly this head also loves my Mesa 2X12 recto cab. I know again alot of guys say they don't like these heads with V30's but these broken in mesa V30's sound killer.

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
I have, but not a fan of the TS808 type pedals with any Splawn. The Timmy pedal works very well though...
I'm with fusionbear, I don't care for TS pedals with these amps. Too much mid range for a mid heavy amp. I'd rather use a treble booster for that or I just dial the bass back on my Timmy or RC Booster.
LOL are you guys trying to make me buy a Timmy(again)I’ve had good luck with the RC Booster in the past. I’ve haven’t tried the one with the dual foot switch’s though

DonaldDemon

LOL are you guys trying to make me buy a Timmy(again)I’ve had good luck with the RC Booster in the past. I’ve haven’t tried the one with the dual foot switch’s though
Timmy is a great tool to have! I’ve never had an amp where it didn’t work. RC Booster sounds better with the Splawn to my ears, just love what it does with that amp, but that pedal generally works with everything too. I have no use for the extra gain stage, I barely use any extra gain from it, mostly volume, and no way I would be able to navigate that second footswitch with my big feet.

Goldie Glocks

Update as requested:

Received the Street Rod today. Only got to play with it for about 5 minutes but it seems alright. I will say that it is a full size head. Based on the photos and such I thought it would be a tad smaller but the survey determined that that was a lie.

A quick peak in the back reveals that it has 2 JJ EL34's in it. Everything is clean inside and out and the all the channels work great as well as the footswitch with the exception of the clean volume knob has a tiny bit of scratch in it that will need to be cleaned.

Aesthetically, I hate it. The gold and cream is not my style at all and as you can see it clashes like a MF'r with my other heads. But I didn't buy it for that. Sounds great, though it definitely has a 'blanket thrown over it' sound as people like to say. Again though, I only played it for like 5 minutes so we'll see. I have also heard a lot of folks not like these through V30's too and that is what is in my cab so time and experimentation will tell.

kmanick

Silver Supporting Member
Hmmm I wonder why it kept getting returned. I have JJ EL-34's in mine as well , check the preamp tubes, I put JJ's in mine and took em out and went back to the Chinese tubes Scott shipped it with. I sounded dull with them.
the El-34's sound fine though
Now I have Mullards and Tung sols and EH tubes I need to try at some point as well, but I like what I'm getting as is so for now they stay.
I was running mine all morning through my Mesa cab and I love it with the Mesa V30's. I was using my SL-1 soloist that has a BK holydiver in the bridge, it's smoother than the JB that was in there before, and a Heavy Blues II in the neck (left the classic stack in the middle) . sounded great at a good room volume.

DonaldDemon

Update as requested:

Received the Street Rod today. Only got to play with it for about 5 minutes but it seems alright. I will say that it is a full size head. Based on the photos and such I thought it would be a tad smaller but the survey determined that that was a lie.

A quick peak in the back reveals that it has 2 JJ EL34's in it. Everything is clean inside and out and the all the channels work great as well as the footswitch with the exception of the clean volume knob has a tiny bit of scratch in it that will need to be cleaned.

Aesthetically, I hate it. The gold and cream is not my style at all and as you can see it clashes like a MF'r with my other heads. But I didn't buy it for that. Sounds great, though it definitely has a 'blanket thrown over it' sound as people like to say. Again though, I only played it for like 5 minutes so we'll see. I have also heard a lot of folks not like these through V30's too and that is what is in my cab so time and experimentation will tell.

LOL, my used Nitro was the same scheme of gold + white, what I call the Liberace theme. I’m not a fan either. I found a used black head shell for sale locally and switched it out until I sold the amp. I still have the black one if you want it, but it seems to be a diy thing instead of made by Splawn.

I would try some new tubes and make sure it’s biased correctly. I’ve bought amps from GC or elsewhere that sounded dull because no one probably changed the tubes since they bought it. It’s saved a few amps from getting returned.

DonaldDemon

Hmmm I wonder why it kept getting returned. I have JJ EL-34's in mine as well , check the preamp tubes, I put JJ's in mine and took em out and went back to the Chinese tubes Scott shipped it with. I sounded dull with them.
the El-34's sound fine though
Now I have Mullards and Tung sols and EH tubes I need to try at some point as well, but I like what I'm getting as is so for now they stay.
I was running mine all morning through my Mesa cab and I love it with the Mesa V30's. I was using my SL-1 soloist that has a BK holydiver in the bridge, it's smoother than the JB that was in there before, and a Heavy Blues II in the neck (left the classic stack in the middle) . sounded great at a good room volume.
Yep, JJs are darker sounding, I never liked them in these amps, I only use Chinese tubes , mostly Ruby’s. I tried the Millard and Tung Sol reissues too and still prefer the Chinese tubes.

V30’s aren’t bad sounding, just not optimal for these IMO. When I first got my Pro Mod I used it through my Bogner 4x12 w/ V30’s and it sounded good but when I moved to a Splawn cab with GB type speakers it was great, much more how the amp was designed to be heard.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
Update as requested:

Check tubes. I had one of those for a while. The StreetRod is not dull sounding. Should be as bright as a Quickrod...

Goldie Glocks

I agree with what all of you have said. This thing definitely has that Marshall high end that we know and love but it is kinda like under something. I am going to change pre amp tubes first and go from there.

On a side note, @kmanick it came with the Presence knob cranked so I bet whoever had it all those times before just took it back without messing with it a little bit.

I assume these are fixed bias? Is tube swapping going to be a problem there? i.e. will I need to re-bias just by throwing a new tube or two? I know my way around tube amps but I don't know how to bias really.

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
Timmy is a great tool to have! I’ve never had an amp where it didn’t work. RC Booster sounds better with the Splawn to my ears, just love what it does with that amp, but that pedal generally works with everything too. I have no use for the extra gain stage, I barely use any extra gain from it, mostly volume, and no way I would be able to navigate that second footswitch with my big feet.
The Timmy is a pedal that just never did it for me , I've tried in on a bunch of different amps and was never too crazy about it but that was always using to push a dirty amp.Ive never used it into a clean amp to add a little grit.

kmanick

Silver Supporting Member
I assume these are fixed bias? Is tube swapping going to be a problem there? i.e. will I need to re-bias just by throwing a new tube or two? I know my way around tube amps but I don't know how to bias really.
Negative, not fixed bias, I believe this head is upside down right? tubes are hanging? I don't know where the bias control is on this model, I'd call or email Scott, he can walk you through what to set it at and where the knob is to set the bias. (just power tubes you can swap the pre amp tubes to your hearts delight)

Goldie Glocks

Negative, not fixed bias, I believe this head is upside down right? tubes are hanging? I don't know where the bias control is on this model, I'd call or email Scott, he can walk you through what to set it at and where the knob is to set the bias. (just power tubes you can swap the pre amp tubes to your hearts delight)
Yes, tubes are hanging.

Your last sentence I'm a little unclear on; I can swap pre-amp tubes anytime, without messing with the bias. Is that what you are saying?

kmanick

Silver Supporting Member
yes you only have to check bias for power tubes.
So on the Super Sport there is a bias control in the center of the chassis, I'd guess if you pull the chassis out of the head shell you will find your in a similar spot. there are no bias points that I know of Scott told me to use a bias probe(the ones like Eurotubes sells)

luckily I have a bunch of El-34's that were graded the same as the ones he sent so I didn't have to re bias mine, but I will have to at some point because I've got a ton of Power tubes I can try as well and they aren't marked so i don't know where they are.

Last edited:

JYD

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting thoughts about the blanket @Goldie Glocks. Can you elaborate a bit more on that? Is it because it's not bright enough or it lacks some 3D quality or seems congested somewhere? ...Curious.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
The Timmy is a pedal that just never did it for me , I've tried in on a bunch of different amps and was never too crazy about it but that was always using to push a dirty amp.Ive never used it into a clean amp to add a little grit.
I almost gave up on the Timmy until I learned that the treble and bass controls work backward on it. The more you turn those controls up, the more they cut those frequencies.... It was a startling revelation! I felt pretty stupid....lol.... Mine has the three-way switch that affects the feel and clipping characteristics....

Goldie Glocks

Interesting thoughts about the blanket @Goldie Glocks. Can you elaborate a bit more on that? Is it because it's not bright enough or it lacks some 3D quality or seems congested somewhere? ...Curious.
Sounds almost like the treble is turned all the way down. Almost like a mid scooped sound but not in the good way. Sounds just like spikey Marshall, just kinda cloudy if that makes sense.

I pulled a Tung Sol 12AX7 out ov V2 and put a Sovtek in there and seemed to help quite a bit.

V1 has a JJ 12AX7,
V2 now has the Sovtek 12AX7LPS,
V3 has a 'Pinta' 12AX7B
4 has a Groove Tube ECC83-S.

I'll reiterate that I have only spent about 10 minutes total with the amp but did put all dials at 12 oclock and went from there.

DonaldDemon

I agree with what all of you have said. This thing definitely has that Marshall high end that we know and love but it is kinda like under something. I am going to change pre amp tubes first and go from there.

On a side note, @kmanick it came with the Presence knob cranked so I bet whoever had it all those times before just took it back without messing with it a little bit.

Presence knpb cranked by previous owner sounds to me like the power tubes are shot and needs a fresh pair. I know I start creeping up on the presence knob once my tubes get old and dull. They will need to be biased once you install the new pair.

I bought a DSL50 that had tubes that were never changed and it sounded similar, like a blanket. Once I put new tubes in it was like a totally different amp. If that doesn't work than maybe there is something wrong with it because it should have plenty of high end.

That's where it shines, into a dirty amp. I think it sort of sucks going into a clean amp, never liked what I heard there. Its supposed to sound like your amp, just with more gain and saturation (because of driving the amp input) if set up right. Like FB said, maybe you missed that the eq controls work backwards?

Trending Topics