Splawn Amplification Official TGP Thread

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
So I found this in my amp. Surely this isn't normal? Looks like a re-routed speaker output. Any ideas?

The StreetRod combo has the speaker jack mounted next to the power tubes like that, and then the 1 for the extension speaker. Looks like either that was a combo that someone added the extra jack on , or Splawn did it.. Just like Kmanick said though, Scott could id that :)

Eric

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
So I found this in my amp. Surely this isn't normal? Looks like a re-routed speaker output. Any ideas?

I believe the same chassis is used for the combo version of the amp so possibly the internal speaker wires plug into that jack

Edit-I see Ericb already kind of explained that but I'd bet its normal and he just uses the same chassis for the head and combo

Goldie Glocks

I believe the same chassis is used for the combo version of the amp so possibly he internal speaker wires plug into that jack

Edit-I see Ericb already kind of explained that but I'd bet its normal and he just uses the same chassis for the head and combo
Yeah I agree and think you and @ericb are correct. These are normally combos. His website even shows these as combos first and then a head version if desired. That would make sense too because the amp is on top of the headshell, i.e. tubes are hanging. So the combo speaker could plug in there were it a combo.

DonaldDemon

Old... Playing through a full stack is so addicting....lol...
Absolutely. I was playing through a full stack on Saturday at band practice, though not the ideal cabs and speakers (Egnater 412 w/V30s & Peavey w/ Creambacks). I was playing my bassists 2007 QR and it’s weird that while it still sounds good, it doesn’t sound great like mine do. I should take it home and try it through my cabs, but I have tried it through the good Marshall cabs he has and it still lacks a little something. I told him to avoid that year but he didn’t listen, I think Scott had changed a few things, but I don’t recall what it was.

JYD

Silver Supporting Member
Absolutely. I was playing through a full stack on Saturday at band practice, though not the ideal cabs and speakers (Egnater 412 w/V30s & Peavey w/ Creambacks). I was playing my bassists 2007 QR and it’s weird that while it still sounds good, it doesn’t sound great like mine do. I should take it home and try it through my cabs, but I have tried it through the good Marshall cabs he has and it still lacks a little something. I told him to avoid that year but he didn’t listen, I think Scott had changed a few things, but I don’t recall what it was.
Which model and year do you have again? ...Yeah, that's one concern I have about getting another Splawn is they can be pretty picky with speakers. My cabs have Chinese V30s, Creamback H75s, and Redbacks. ...My thought is the Splawn would do well with Redbacks the best out of what I have.

DonaldDemon

Which model and year do you have again? ...Yeah, that's one concern I have about getting another Splawn is they can be pretty picky with speakers. My cabs have Chinese V30s, Creamback H75s, and Redbacks. ...My thought is the Splawn would do well with Redbacks the best out of what I have.
I have an '05 Pro Mod w/ KT88s and a '10 QR w/ EL34s, I playthrough a Splawn 4x12 or 2x12. both with Small Blocks. I never really loved them with V30's but they aren't terrible, just not my preference and not what suits the amps IMO. I don't know anything about the Redbacks but the Creambacks should be decent too, from my little experience with the speaker. I couldn't really hear the Creamback loaded cab last weekend because it was on the other side of the room and I'm getting blasted by a lot of speakers and cabs there lol. Hard to say I liked it them or not, but I did hear the Egnater cab right next to me and wasn't very impressed. That cab sounds good with the Rebel 20 amp that's intended for, just not as good with the Splawn.

Reactions: JYD

DonaldDemon

I fried my damn tubes again tonight! These are the only amps I've owned that make a thunderous crash when coming off of standby for the first time in a night. Usually it's no big deal but if my tubes are anywhere close to failure they will blow in this amp. Suck part was that I had a hell of a time trying to get the HT fuse out that blew and it broke inside of the holder. That took a good part of my night fishing it out. I think I should replace the fuse holder since I had to mangle it a little and it always seems to be difficult to remove fuses from.

I ended up pulling the bad tube, plus one more, to run at 50 watts because I can't afford new tubes right now. These EL34s were about 2 years old, which is right around the time this happens. Both my Pro Mod and Quick Rod are this way. Anyone else have this issue with their Splawns?

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
I fried my damn tubes again tonight! These are the only amps I've owned that make a thunderous crash when coming off of standby for the first time in a night. Usually it's no big deal but if my tubes are anywhere close to failure they will blow in this amp. Suck part was that I had a hell of a time trying to get the HT fuse out that blew and it broke inside of the holder. That took a good part of my night fishing it out. I think I should replace the fuse holder since I had to mangle it a little and it always seems to be difficult to remove fuses from.

I ended up pulling the bad tube, plus one more, to run at 50 watts because I can't afford new tubes right now. These EL34s were about 2 years old, which is right around the time this happens. Both my Pro Mod and Quick Rod are this way. Anyone else have this issue with their Splawns?

That sucks! What are you biasing them at? I haven't had any tubes fry in my StreetRod combo, Supercomp, or Comp heads. If I remember they're all in the low 400's for plate voltage, and biased at 30-34 ma of current they've all been fine. (using Siemens, Svetlanas, Sovteks, or an old pair of good Tesla's. .I'm lucky that I haven't had to buy power tubes in awhile, and have a decent old stash, but I do know old ones are much more reliable than new ones.

Eric

DonaldDemon

That sucks! What are you biasing them at? I haven't had any tubes fry in my StreetRod combo, Supercomp, or Comp heads. If I remember they're all in the low 400's for plate voltage, and biased at 30-34 ma of current they've all been fine. (using Siemens, Svetlanas, Sovteks, or an old pair of good Tesla's. .I'm lucky that I haven't had to buy power tubes in awhile, and have a decent old stash, but I do know old ones are much more reliable than new ones.

Eric
Yep, old ones send to be more reliable, but more expensive too, so I never buy them. It's costly enough just buying 4 new tubes without ever entertaining the idea of NOS. I bias the QR around 32 ma as well, my plate voltage is around 475 iirc on that amp. I use the Shuguang Ruby tubes because I like their tone best, but I'm lucky to get a year out of them.

Do you get that loud crash when firing them up, too?

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Yep, old ones send to be more reliable, but more expensive too, so I never buy them. It's costly enough just buying 4 new tubes without ever entertaining the idea of NOS. I bias the QR around 32 ma as well, my plate voltage is around 475 iirc on that amp. I use the Shuguang Ruby tubes because I like their tone best, but I'm lucky to get a year out of them.

Do you get that loud crash when firing them up, too?
My NOS are originals. . I'm a hoarder and I'm old (unfortunately for me!) lol. That sucks regarding the Chinese El34's only lasting a year! I'll check some plate voltage and get back to you,(I have a Weber bias probe that will give plate voltage) but I'm pretty sure none of mine are higher than 430v) .. . I have a THD Plexi that is 510 volt , and an Orange OR120RI that is almost 500 and an old 1971 Marhshall 1959 that is really high but I don't remember any of my Splawns being high voltage. . . . NO loud crash at all when coming off standby on any of my 3. . . actually no noise at all. I wonder if those Standby switches are shot? Definiteiy call Mr Splawn about that. :( Eric

DonaldDemon

My NOS are originals. . I'm a hoarder and I'm old (unfortunately for me!) lol. That sucks regarding the Chinese El34's only lasting a year! I'll check some plate voltage and get back to you,(I have a Weber bias probe that will give plate voltage) but I'm pretty sure none of mine are higher than 430v) .. . I have a THD Plexi that is 510 volt , and an Orange OR120RI that is almost 500 and an old 1971 Marhshall 1959 that is really high but I don't remember any of my Splawns being high voltage. . . . NO loud crash at all when coming off standby on any of my 3. . . actually no noise at all. I wonder if those Standby switches are shot? Definiteiy call Mr Splawn about that. :( Eric
Cool, thanks for the response. My old Pro Mod is close to 500 volts and the QR is just a little bit lower, I feel like I did bring it up and he said it was normal but that was quite a while ago. I think I might need to give him a call. My other amps have had the same tubes for many years so it's not a power issue here.

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Cool, thanks for the response. My old Pro Mod is close to 500 volts and the QR is just a little bit lower, I feel like I did bring it up and he said it was normal but that was quite a while ago. I think I might need to give him a call. My other amps have had the same tubes for many years so it's not a power issue here.
I do know that not a lot of modern tubes can't handle 500 volts really well ongoing. (Maybe the JJ's can?). If I don't get back to you tomorrow, remind me, as I will definitely check the plate voltage on each of mine and let you know. I remember Svetlana El34's or Winged-C/Svetlanas being really good, but probably they go for an arm and a leg now, as anything that stops production boosts the price :(
.. I used to get them for 80.00 for a matched quad (new!), but I'm sure not even close now

Eric

kmanick

Silver Supporting Member
So you guys that use Scumback speakers I was lucky enough to find two local deals on an M75 and a J75. I want to load them into my Vertical British Mojotone 2X12, which would you suggest to put in the upper/lower positions?
I'm guessing the M75 on top?

Goldie Glocks

I do know that not a lot of modern tubes can't handle 500 volts really well ongoing. (Maybe the JJ's can?). If I don't get back to you tomorrow, remind me, as I will definitely check the plate voltage on each of mine and let you know. I remember Svetlana El34's or Winged-C/Svetlanas being really good, but probably they go for an arm and a leg now, as anything that stops production boosts the price :(
.. I used to get them for 80.00 for a matched quad (new!), but I'm sure not even close now

Eric
I actually just bought a matched quad of Svetlana EL34's for $104. So not too much of an increase depending on where you look. I got mine off of Amazon of all places.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
So you guys that use Scumback speakers I was lucky enough to find two local deals on an M75 and a J75. I want to load them into my Vertical British Mojotone 2X12, which would you suggest to put in the upper/lower positions?
I'm guessing the M75 on top?
Yep, I would put the M75 on top....

Trending Topics