Splawn Amplification Official TGP Thread

kmanick

Silver Supporting Member
ok so got these installed and did a quick play
I can see why everyone love the M75's, the cab sounds good.
When walking across the cab from left to right I can really hear the difference in tone between the J and the M,
thing is when I stand directly in front together they sound really good. I can't turn up tonight (the Mrs is home) but will go through a much better test tomorrow
I may like 2 M75's better will have to play through it for a while and dial it in.

kmanick

Silver Supporting Member
ok so I got a chance to open up the cab a bit today with the scumbacks in it. I basically copied fusionBears settings
off of his competition video(since now I'm using the same speakers as him).
Much better, I can see why you guys who like Scumbacks like them, this is one of the few times I can remember where I can stand directly in front of the cab and the mix of the 2 speakers work this well together.
I also noticed that if I open up the loop master all the way the amp has a lot more "chime" to it, so I'll have to figure out a balance for the 2 volume controls as I did notice that when I get the front master up to around 10:30-11 the tone does seem to thicken up just a bit, but that is really freaking loud. I have my next rehearsal a week from last night , can't wait to hear it in the full band mix. :)

Last edited:

kmanick

Silver Supporting Member
So I got this bad boy in today

heavy little sucker but sounds great. it's got Small Blocks 25watters in it, which surprisingly sound very much like the Scumbacks I have in the mojotone, the scumbacks do sound bigger though.
The Splawn cab seems to have a bit more "thump" to it than the Mojotone does but man the Mojotone cab really throws. Just switching back and forth sounds like I'm dialing the volume up/down with each cab.
First world problems ...I know but if I keep accumulating crap like this I will have a problem...with the Mrs. :)
I'm going to play some ring around the speaker on Saturday and do some swapping to see how I like all of the speakers I have in this thing.

Last edited:

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
So I got this bad boy in today

heavy little sucker but sounds great. it's got Small Blocks 25watters in it, which surprisingly sound very much like the Scumbacks I have in the mojotone, the scumbacks do sound bigger though.
The Spalwn cab seems to have a bit more "thump" to it than the Mojotone does but man the Mojotone cab realy throws. Just switching back and forth sounds like I'm dialing the volume up/down with each cab.
First world problems ...I know but if I keep accumulating crap like this I will have a problem...with the Mrs. :)
I'm going to play some ring around the speaker on Saturday and do some swapping to see how I like all of the speakers I have in this thing.
Yep, those Splawn 2x12's are awesome cabs. If I didn't have so many cabs, I'd buy another one....

JYD

Silver Supporting Member
They had 25watts and 55watts at one point, at least for a few years, but did you order 55w and get the 25w instead?

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
They had 25watts and 55watts at one point, at least for a few years, but did you order 55w and get the 25w instead?
I suspect its marketing.... I think the 25w references the speaker its based on???

Last edited:

kmanick

Silver Supporting Member
No I picked this cab up used yesterday (gotta love the marketplace on facebook) My head is only 50 watts so it's not an issue I was just surprised.
the Splawn box in the background is what the head came in :)

Last edited:

DonaldDemon

You're right, those are the older Small Blocks that were only offered for a few years.

The more recent Small Blocks are 55w based on Greenbacks and the Big Blocks are 65w based on G12H-30?. Great speakers

DonaldDemon

No I picked this cab up used yesterday (gotta love the marketplace on facebook) My head i sonly 50 watts so it's not an issue I was just surprised.
As long as you're not cranking the amp you should be fine. I've used my 120w Pro Mod with my 2x12 55w Small Blocks for years, even at gigs

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
No I picked this cab up used yesterday (gotta love the marketplace on facebook) My head is only 50 watts so it's not an issue I was just surprised.
Cab looks great Nick , glad you were able to get it

kmanick

Silver Supporting Member
I'm GASing for one of those Splawn mini heads. That looks like the Supersport. Is that the 22 or 50 watt?
It's the 50 . One of the things I really like about this head as compared to some of the other small heads I tried, is that this thing does not feel or sound small, it says 35 pounds on the site but I'm going to weigh this thing, it's small but it's got some good size iron in it, and it's loud and thick sounding, it doesn't sound or feel small at all.

Last edited:

Goldie Glocks

It's the 50 . One of the things I really like about this head as compared to some of the other small heads I tried, is that this thing does not feel or sound small, it says 35 pounds on the site but I'm going to weigh this thing, it's small but it's got some good size iron in it, and it's loud and think sounding, it doesn't sound or feel small at all.
Awesome. I was thinking about ordering a small 50w Nitro. That is exactly why I want one, small but mighty. Of course I don't need one but who's counting? Let us know how much it weighs!

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
The small headshell version of the SS weighs 35lbs , mine does at least . It’s a heavy 35lbs though. Like Nick was saying these amps don’t sound small , it’s a standard size chassis. It’ll fit right in a Splawn standard size headshell if you ever wanted to change it out

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
Sold off the last of my other cabs today. looks like this will be the gigging rig whenever the bars re open up here :)
That is a thing of beauty , dig the Charvel. What speakers did you end up going with in the cabinets

kmanick

Silver Supporting Member
[QUOTE="Hammered, post: 31873919, member: 79011"

That is a thing of beauty , dig the Charvel. What speakers did you end up going with in the cabinets
[/QUOTE]
thanks Rich
Small blocks in the splawn cab
M75/J75 Scumback combo in the mojotone
They sound great together
Charvel is a MIJ SoCal that was h/h
I got an Adrian smith pick guard for it and
Turned it into a h/s/s

Last edited:

Trending Topics