Splawn love ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OutterLimits, Feb 24, 2009.

1. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

Ok, I have a Quickrod that I just traded for, was not really looking for another Marshall style head, but curiosity got me. I find them very loud at the initial sweet spot, so I had my UA on it, knocking the volume down quite a bit. Sounded great, but I was not digging the extra mids in the distortion ...

Well, I switched it to 50 watts ... which is usually the switch that just adds a ton of compression and flattens the tone ..

Well, the QR sounds freaking great on the 50 watt setting. The first amp I have ever owned that actually sound as good/better there. And I can get the power tubes working pretty hard without the UA, and my ears were not bleeding after playing tonight. :banana

Wow ... really killer 70s tones in there too. Pulled out the Zeppelin and Cooper tunes, really inspiring. How about that. It really rips.

So many choices of amps ... but I still get zombie brained over cranked Marshall tones ... hope I never grow up :D

2. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

3. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ Member

I recently got a Soldano Decatone, but if there is some way I can afford to get a Quick Rod without selling my Soldano I would have my dream set up. I want a QR so freaking bad!!! The new ones have a volume control in the effects loop on the back of the amp, so the loudness is no longer an issue. My friend has a QR & when he plays out he sets his volumes at like 9:00 through a Splawn 4x12 & that **** is loud as ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. OutterLimits

Turning down the preamp gain input into the master volume (power tubes) by turning down the loop is not always the best sounding method IMO. You are not driving the power tubes as hard, which defeats the purpose of turning the volume up in the first place. But yes, mine is a newer version, I just prefer the 50 watt setting with 2 power tubes cooking, it is still loud as snot with the volume on 3 but the power tubes come through the mix more ... better definition and crunch, still tons of gain.

Lots of options on the Splawn, it takes awhile to go through all the possible gain combinations ... really the best bang for the buck out there. I mean, a Marshall JVM cost more ... and it is not in the same league at all tone-wise.

5. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

9:00 on the master is my band volume. Those are loud amps indeed.

I also usually run the amp on the 50 watt setting if I'm using a single cab. Gear 2 tends to tame the treble and mids just a bit compared to the other gears.

With the half power, I'm not sure if it's just two tubes or if it's actually one half of all 4 tubes. I forget how that works. I've heard some people mention that they simpy pull two tubes and then adjust their ohms setting.

6. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

I had a QR and found that KT77's really helped to tone down the mids. I like mids, but that amp has just a tad too much "snarl" for me.

7. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

That's not the purpose of it though. The taper of the volume pots on the front panel of the Splawns have a hair trigger.

You go from too soft to stage volume in the slightest tick of the knobs...

A volume box and/or the built in knob on the back of the newer models gives you a a nice smooth taper to find an acceptable sweet spot for bedroom/home jamming.

8. OutterLimits

Makes sense ... I just never play at bedroom volumes, I practice full bore. Probably should save some of my hearing though ...

9. OutterLimits

Actually, using the 50 watt setting tames that snarl a bit on mine ... I agree, it sounds cool, but maybe just too much mids sometimes with the EL34s. I will have to try out some KT77s ... where did you get them?

But I am really digging the QR now ...

I don't find the channel volume hard to set, bu the solo volume is impossible. Breath on it and your volume goes up to way too loud.

10. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

Don't remember where I got them, but most of the top shelf dealers should stock them.