Splawn, Mojave, Cornford.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by redplexi, May 24, 2005.

1. redplexi

redplexi Member

Best buy for the Money, and best Construction. Also which will give the best 80's Hard Rock Tones.

Splawn Quick rod
    Mojave Peacemaker
    Cornford Mk50

2. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

The Splawn will get you closest to the tone your after, however the Splawn I had was lacking in tonal complexity . Quite honestly it sounded like a Marshall being hit in the front with a cheap boss overdrive.

The Cornford Mk50 is one of my all time favorite amps for high gain soloing. It can get a convincing 80's hard rock tone, but has it's own unique voicing which some folks don't care for.

The Mojave is the best built of the three, but my least favorite.
    I have been bashed many times for giving my honest opinion of the Scorpion, and will just leave it at that.
    I can tell you that you will need to push the power section VERY hard to get even close to the distortion your looking for, and will tonally not get into 80's metal territory.

3. redplexi

redplexi Member

What were your cons on the Scorpion. That was the amp that I was leaning towards. Because of the quality of the build and the power damping.

Everyone is talking up the OD100, but I may be wrong I'm looking for more of a raw distortion. And the OD 100 is a little more defined if that makes sense.

4. Braciola

Can't comment on the OD100 as I haven't played one yet, but I did own an SLO with a Suhr 3+SE mod that I didn't care for.
    The Scorpion has a vintage plexi vibe to it, but IMHO does't sound near as good.
    I didn't care for the overall tone or feel of the amp, and found the bottom end to be loose and undefined.

5. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Cornford MK50H for me.

Guthrie Govan plays thru the Hellcat and the MK50H and it is simply mindboggling.

You really oughta hear the Cornford Kotzen.......100 watts of rock mayhem.

6. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Have YOU looked inside a Cornford ?

The Cornfords build quality is a match for ANYTHING that is out there..

7. Braciola

Yes I have, and it is very close to the built quality of the Mojave, but if I had to pick which I thought was the better, it would be the Mojave.

8. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

the peacemaker is quite rad. not sure i'd ever buy one, but i'm not much into 80's metal. i've never used the other 2 but mojave makes nice sounding amps IMO.

9. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

I heardclips of the peacemaker and i loved what i heard.

same for roccaforte high gain 100

same for SLO100

choices choices...........:D

10. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

line 6 spyder, version 1.0

:dude

11. redplexi

redplexi Member

I have one in my Practice Room, and a Vetta. They are what they are.:D

12. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

If you've got a hotplate, the Peacemaker does an amazing VH I and II sound. If you're looking for 80s metal get a JCM 800.

13. Braciola

No issues with the amp other than I didn't care for it...
    OK, I HATED IT!!! LOL!!! :p

14. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

:dude

it's all good man...people either love the mojaves or hate'um. there doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

but with mojave proponents like george lynch, eric johnson, peter frampton, and billy gibbons, i'd say i'm in fair company....:cool:

15. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Company for sure... but do you have their chops?:D :dude I sure wish I did, haha.

-TJK

16. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Don't know the Splawn or Mojave.

The Cornford MK50H is a real nice amp but it is sort of a lead machine with a narrow range. If I could only have one amp MK50H is not it. But there isn't anything exactly like it so if you can have a few amps it's a really good candidate.

Plus ours was originally a UK powered thing and it used a transformer. When we had it converted to US power (by Matt Wells) he did some minor tweaks but it was a huge improvement. You might find if you get one, that paying close attention at some point to issues of bias, etc., makes a huge difference.

17. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I heard that amp, and while I didn't hate it, it wasn't what I was expecting. We were A/Bing it against a Komet 60 that night too, so it had stiff competition.

My biggest surprise was how far from the Mojave clips it sounded. But I wasn't at the tone controls, so I don't know if I could've tweaked it for my tastes. Too often at these mini ampfests we have in Orlando, I'm sitting as a passive listener.

Case in point. I was listening to Braciola's Super Shiva. It wasn't really working for me. So I walked over and lowered the presence, and raised the treble a bit, and voila, smoothed right out. There's an annoying metallic clank in the Shiva's presence circuit, to my ears. I could've walked away saying the amp sucked, but it was just a matter of tweaking it.

So my point is, I may have liked the Scorpion dialed in a different way. I certainly liked those Lunatic Fringe clip on the Mojave site.