Splawn Pro Stock???

IIIBOOMERIII

Silver Supporting Member
I just got my hands on a Splawn Pro Stock with the half power switch and the guy had the footswitch with it. The amp sounds awesome!!!!

My only problem is, what the heck is OD1 and OD2 on the footswitch. I don't see any controls for an OD1 or OD2?

Thanks in advance guys.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
Awesome Amp! I would like to own one of those someday. OD1/OD2 are internal components that are switched via the footswitch. In OD1, you have the standard gain, then in OD2, components that allow a gain boost are switched in. That really is it. Genius if you ask me.

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
I just got my hands on a Splawn Pro Stock with the half power switch and the guy had the footswitch with it. The amp sounds awesome!!!!

My only problem is, what the heck is OD1 and OD2 on the footswitch. I don't see any controls for an OD1 or OD2?

Thanks in advance guys.

I`m gonna guess you went to the Splawn website about the footswitch but if not here it is
http://www.splawnguitars.com/Comp_PS_Manual_New.pdf

ronmail65

Gold Supporting Member
Awesome amp! I have owned several Splawns over the years and have become a big fan.

The OD2 switch, as mentioned above, just gives a slight gain boost. I think it only applies to the gain channel and will not boost the clean channel. Also, I think that when you hit the Solo Boost (which only applies to the gain channel), it automatically engages OD2. So you get the incremental Solo volume (based on whatever you set it to) plus some extra gain. I don't know if this is documented somewhere and I could be remembering it wrong. You can always call Scott Splawn and ask him about it.

My opinion about the OD2... I never use it (unless it automatically engages with the solo boost). In my opinion, the OD2 isn't loud enough for a solo boost by itself and the incremental gain it delivers is nothing huge. If I want more gain, I usually want more than the OD2 will deliver - so I just twist the gain knob or use a dirt pedal. So, not a very useful feature in an otherwise awesome amp.

Gnarlly

Interesting perspectives on the OD2 switch. I actually use it quite a bit with my Supersport, but I set my crunch channel's gain fairly low (about 10:00). This allows me to get brighter metal panel Marshall 70's classic rock tones with Gear 1, then hitting OD2 with its extra presence and hair for more of an early Van Halen type of modded plexi tone. Then with Gear 2 I get thicker 80's hard rock tones with OD1, and hitting OD2 allows me to get into heavy metal territory with the added gain and extra hair. Essentially OD2 is when you want to go to "11" when you're already maxed out on "10." (Nigel from Spinal Tap would like it ;)

ronmail65

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting perspectives on the OD2 switch. I actually use it quite a bit with my Supersport, but I set my crunch channel's gain fairly low (about 10:00). This allows me to get brighter metal panel Marshall 70's classic rock tones with Gear 1, then hitting OD2 with its extra presence and hair for more of an early Van Halen type of modded plexi tone. Then with Gear 2 I get thicker 80's hard rock tones with OD1, and hitting OD2 allows me to get into heavy metal territory with the added gain and extra hair. Essentially OD2 is when you want to go to "11" when you're already maxed out on "10." (Nigel from Spinal Tap would like it ;)

I recently acquired a Supersport so I'm going to have to try this. Although, as I mentioned in my post above, I didn't feel the OD2 was a very useful for other Splawn amps I've owned - I can understand how it may deliver a better result with the Supersport.

For the record, by 'other Splawn amps', I'm referring to the ProMod, Quickrod, Competition, and Streetrod. For these models, my earlier post applies (my opinion, anyway)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom