Splawn Quick Rod Owners: Thoughts on Power Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by peckhart, Mar 1, 2012.

1. peckhart

peckhart Member

I have run both Ruby EL34BSTR and Sino EL34Bs in my Quick Rod. Its getting time to grab another quad to at least have on hand to put in on failure of the current quad thats been in about a year. I am thinking of trying something different just to experiment and see if I can get any more aggressiveness and bite out of it. I plan to toy with some different pres too, but the purpose of this thread is to see what others run in the Power section. What do you like? What have you compared?
    I like some of the description of the Svetlanas. I play hard rock from the 80s to present and look for the most raunchy crunch I can get.

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

You have got to try some 6CA7s or KT77s in there for this type of gain. Those 6CA7s are like the Ruby but 'better' (clearer, less compression) and those KT77s are more like Svets but w. the same benefits, really.

3. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

The Quickrod and Competition amps I used to own had KT77s in them - but I can't remember the brand. Sounded great.

The ProMod I had came stock from Scott with Genalex KT88s -- they were super bright and clear. I went to EH's KT-88s after that - noticeably warmer (for a KT88, that is).

4. James BCM

James BCM Gold Supporting Member

Guys, save your money, you aren't adding gain to the circuit by changing output tubes in a master volume amp. You may change the saturation and affect the mids more with a 34b versus 34 etc., but concentrate on the preamp section where gain is created or reduced via tube choice. Even then you may not see a huge change.

Other than that, your only other choice would be EMG pickups, or hot humbuckers. That may do it for you.

LB
    BCM

5. peckhart

peckhart Member

I have hot humbuckers in my guitars. I am satisfied with the gain...and actually happy with the amp and my tone overall. But at some point I need to put new PTs in the amp and I would rather get them now before I blow one and have to scramble.
    And as such I was just looking around at what I want to get and if a different choice would yield any enhancement towards what I really like in tone/feel.