Splawn Supersport clean and classic rock tones

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabinets Demo Videos and Soundclips' started by HoboMan, Mar 22, 2015.

1. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Here's my Splawn Supersport 1x12 combo in a live band setting.

I notice a lot of people ask about the clean & lower gain tones so here's a few examples.

First video I'm using the clean channel and switch to Gear 1 on the gain channel for the lead.
    The gain on the gain channel is set at noon for all videos.

The second video I'm on the gain channel the whole song and use my guitar's volume knob to clean up.
    Last two video is also the gain channel. I probably kicked on my TS10 Tubescreamer on the leads for LaGrange.
    I'm on the left playing the Black Les Paul. It has Dimazio 36th Anniversary PUs in it.

Ignore all the mistakes. We're just a weekend warrior cover band having fun and making some extra pocket change.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  2. Shawnee

Shawnee Member

Thanks for sharing. Great tone (and playing). I have been playing a Quickrod since 2005 and have wondered if a Supersport would work for me. I DO NOT need 100 watts but do need some clean volume.

3. HoboMan

Plenty of clean volume on tap.
    The clean channel really doesn't have much breakup at all.

My bands play honky tonk bars & medium size sports bars. I've never had the volume up to half way and this is being unmic'd.

I'm not a high gain player and I know that splawns are known for their high gain but I took a chance and bought the Supersport from the emporium without ever playing thru one.
    Really glad I did.

My bands play Country, Alternative, Rock, Pop & Blues. I'm in two cover bands and sub for a third. We play everything from Dwight Yoakam, John Michael Montgomery, Johnny Cash, G&R, AC/DC, Ozzy, Pink, Katy Perry, John Cougar, CCR, etc, etc.
    This amp covers it all.

I think Splawn should really show more of the versatility of their amps on their website.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  4. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

Very cool. Thanks for posting. I especially liked your lead tones, the amp sounds great. I agree, Splawn should show more of the diversity of their amps. All vids I've seen are all about the high-gain capabilities.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  5. HoboMan

Yeah, the leads cut thru really well with the Splawn.

I gigged it Saturday with my Les Paul Special with P90s and it was amazing!

6. mikebat

mikebat Member

Sounded great! The lead tone on video one is great, enough gain for most of what I do too. If the compression is there, and the notes have that glue between them, I am comfortable.

7. HoboMan

Thanks.
    The neck PU on my Les Paul is amazing.

The setting for the lead is the gain channel, gear 1 (lower gain) with the preamp only at half way.

TONS of more gain available if needed.

8. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I agree with that statement , IF they want to sell more amps, BUT I'm not sure that don't already sell as many as they want to. I find the lo-gain on my Splawns as good as any lo-gain , the cleans are great, and the medium and hi-gain is great . .So I do agree with you , but I'm not sure they want to sell more . lol. What I mean by that is some companies do what they want and sell what they want without spending huge amounts of money on advertising , and without selling out to overseas builders,etc. Either way their amps are rock solid and sound great. Thanks for your postings. Eric

NamaEnsou likes this.
  9. HoboMan

You could be right.
    As you probably know it's a small 4-5 man shop over at Splawn and it may be just they way they like it.

10. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

I am about 20 minutes from Scott's birthing center. From my visits, I get the impression that Scott and his staff are perfectly content. I don't believe there is any desire to become a big operation. There is a lot of pride and dedication going on in that shop.

Splawn amps may be understated in the market place - by choice. But by no means does this diminish the quality (and sound) of the product. If you are a Marshall tone fan, you owe it to yourself to test drive a Splawn. You just may forget about anything Marshall in the future.
    :beer

NamaEnsou likes this.
  11. dfine22

dfine22 Member

Thanks for the videos. Really great versatile and well built amp. I wish I hadn't sold mine on a whim for another amp. :bonk

12. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Sweet vids David! This is the first I've heard of this amp, and after some research it looks like a winner. Seems like a short cut to the brown sound, and it really nails it too. Well selected features- none wasted. This amp sure could use a good demo video on YT though (hint hint).

13. HoboMan

Yeah, the build quality is really nice. Solid as hell.

14. HoboMan

Thanks Kev!
    This amp is definitely a winner.

I'm not good at doing solo demo videos but if you search YT there are couple of really good ones.

15. ejblives

ejblives Member

Good job Hoboman.... thanks for posting.