Split a guitar signal pre vintage fuzz - can it be done?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TEMAS, Jun 11, 2008.

1. TEMAS

TEMAS Member

Hi all.

I have my fuzz at the start of my pedal chain because it uses vintage germanium transistors and it doesn't like any kind of buffer (or any pedal for that matter) before it.

I'd like to be able to split my guitar signal before it goes to the fuzz, so that I can record a clean sound straight to my pre-amp / computer, whilst hearing (and recording) my guitar through the effects chain and amp.

The problem is passive splitters divide the source input impedance (or load) between the two destination outputs, which many people claim can be the cause of ground loops and hum. The better quality splitters use transformers, but they all seem to buffer the signal at the output. I guess they think I want to send my signals a long way to amps.

Does anyone know if it is possible to split a guitar signal and retain the EXACT same impedance of what is going in and send it to both outputs, without buffering?

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. TEMAS

TEMAS Member

....bump.....

3. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

Interesting question. I'm a big fan of "Fuzz First" in the signal chain.

4. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

You might like to have a look at the Voodoo Lab switcher? Santiago's posted some demo clips -- I wonder if that'll do what you want...

5. TEMAS

TEMAS Member

Hmm, I don't know. Seems a bit complicated just to split a signal and I already have another unit which switches multiple loops on and off.

I tried the Amp Selector and my fuzz didn't like it.

Thanks though!

6. shakti

shakti Member

Lehle has a switcher which will do A/B/Y, is entirely passive, yet features transformer ground loop separation. It's the Little Dual.

When you split the signal passively like this, you may, as you say, experience loading issues due to impedance mismatch, so whether this will happen in this case is hard to tell...

7. jaf

jaf Member

8. DiscoFreq

DiscoFreq Member

9. tonewave

tonewave Member

diamond pedals has an a/b box that buffers only one output, the other stays unbuffered, as to what happens to the impedance, not sure.
    However I am sure michael at diamond would enlighten you if you emailed him.

10. philraumi

philraumi Member

Go with the Lehle! P Split, Dual or little Dual will work fine!