Split coil output TOO LOW :(

dincorcelles

I recently wired my SD JB Jr on my strat to have a split coil switch but the output sound is much lower than the real single coils. I tried raising the pickup to compensate but the series mode becomes TOO LOUD. I also tried raising the pole pieces of the half that i split but it only messed up the tone of the series mode.

What do you guys do to make a split coil sound atleast USEABLE:messedup

aaland_brian

Silver Supporting Member
I like to wire them to remove the tone pot from the circuit when split, give it more volume and treble.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
these pickups sound OK split with the middle pickup, but by itself? blegh.

you'd be better off switching it to parallel, which will sound kinda like a single coil, won't be so weak and nasty as that single 1/4" wide coil by itself, and will still hum-cancel.

dincorcelles

I found a solution to my problem:) Apparently the outer coil of the JB JR that ive been using on the split mode doesn't accurately line up with the strings. I wired it all up again to activate the INNER COIL. It now sounds fine with the real single coils :)

What confuses me now is why I have hum cancelling NOW on position 2(bridge + middle)when i am using the inner coil. There was no hum cancelling before when i was using the outer coil. I am using a non reverse wound pickup middle pickup by the way.

Trending Topics