Split signal into three?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by loudfast, Feb 24, 2012.

1. loudfast

loudfast Member

I am experimenting with recording some looping, and am interested in running my guitar signal to a clean Fender Princeton that is mic'ed, also to a POD direct to my recorder, and also to an FX chain to a mic'ed Mesa amp.

I came across the following 6-amp/device splitter by Rene Martinez:

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-part...ne-Martinez-Texas-Guitar-Whiz-Signal-Splitter

Does anyone know of or recommend others, outputting at least three signals?

Thanks!

2. loudfast

loudfast Member

It looks like Rene is getting the $$$ but I thought I'd bump this up once to see if anyone has an alternative - thanks!

3. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You have a couple of things to think about:
    1. Buffering: you want the multiple amps not to result in a low input impedance, which will reduce treble content in your guitar signal. A passive splitter isn't a very good idea, any active one will work, even a pedal that has stereo outs.

2. Isolation: you don't want ground loop hum, which passive splitters often create. Any transformer isolated splitter will prevent this, op-amp buffered splitters will be better than nothing but may not completely solve the problem. So, for example, the Lehle 3 output splitter is transformer isolated and seems to work great, as do the Radial products (for a studio, the guitar injector is a great investment since it also does "reamping" very well, taking a signal out of your computer and putting it thru a guitar amp). Kendrick builds a 3 output, op-amp based device that works pretty well. Black Cat used to make a 6 output device that was killer if you needed that many amps.

5. loudfast

loudfast Member

Ah, thanks for the feedback, folks! I welcome any other comments, of course!

6. adaytonguitarist

adaytonguitarist Senior Member

7. loudfast

loudfast Member

Stumbled across this, a bit pricey at $200+ but it looks really good:

http://www.voodoolab.com/ampselector.htm

I saw another Morley splitter, a George Lynch model, but a lot of user reviews complained of hum. All the reviews I've seen of this Voodoo Labs model have praised it as being dead silent.

8. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I suspect you will run into a problem with phasing. Splitting the signal to go to an amp and direct will likely be ok, but the minute you go through an FX chain you delay the signal some, which in my experience always creates phase problems, which will make your guitar sound weak and tinny when you mix.

9. loudfast

loudfast Member

I hadn't thought of that, but thinking about it now I suspect you may be correct.

But it may not be a problem - I'm planning to use the FX chain to create a sonic bed or backing via one or more tracks into a single loop. Then let that loop do its own thing while then running through the POD or the mic'ed clean amp playing to the loop.

I will have to keep that phasing in mind if I am ever trying to track everything playing the same phrase at the same time, or at least carefully evaluate the results sonically. I know I could edit the FX tracks and move or time-shift them in the overall context of the song - essentially putting everything in phase - but it sounds like a bit of a pain. :eeks