Splittable Humbuckers that sound REALLY Good....& that aren't DGT pickups

ssdeluxe

p.s. can those Duncan Triple Shot mounting rings be used with any splittable pu's ?

also, I wanted to mention: some of the builders expressly build hums for this purpose of splitting, which is a huge advantage, as you can maximize the tone by gearing the design for this purpose.

Jon moore over @ tonefordays.com does this, as do others, I've just had alot of experience with Jon, and I do love his pu's.

Agreed, in general the mismatched hums will do this really well, you just need the hotter coil to not be aenemic, but wound enough to give a good single tone....not as easy as it sounds.

I've also like'd fralin for this.

Last edited:

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
Rio Grande Tallboy is essentially 2 singles put together in a hum. Solid hum tones, really good split single tones.
Yes..... but too hot for neck position unless you like a really dark (read: muddy) hummer sound.

I have a custom tele with a RG twangbucker bridge assembly and a tallboy at the neck. All of the combinations sound great except neck in hummer mode, very dark and muddy. I think I can fix this by wiring it so it comes on in parallel instead of series when it's a hummer.....

ClassTone

Nothing I have tried splits like Anderson H3+, or any of Andersons pickups with fender like polepeice magnet orientation. Awesome tele twang in split on the bridge of my guitar. Haven't tried them in the neck yet though....I do have an H2+ sitting right infront of me at this moment....I will report back tomorrow...

kiwicanuck

I'll second the Anderson H-series. I think they do an excellent job of covering Strat sounds when split. I think I read that their circuit makes the volume pot 250K when the split is engaged, but I could be completely wrong. Either way me likey.

eljo89

The Tom Andersons I had split really really well! Had a H2+ and H1- pair in my PRS CU22. No volume loss whatsoever when split, nails that single coil sound! Superb clean sounds too! Haha.

LJD

I've gone by the PRS DGT specs on a few guitars and it works perfectly. I've used the 1.1/2.2 resistors for my HBII with 53/10's, my SG with Duncan Antiquities, and a HSS Strat with a Pearly Gates hb. My favorite split (and full) sound came from the Pearly Gates. Also, PRS keeps the outer coils active when splitting.

Rhomco

Making UPS, FEDEX and USPS richer every day!
Silver Supporting Member
I have installed many split coil humbuckers in customer guitars over the years and the best "single coil" tones I have heard are the Joe Barden "Two Tones" followed closely by the Fralin Unbuckers. The Bardens are actually a coil tap and not a true "split" which I believe is the secret to keeping the two sounds balanced than simply dumping a coil. The Bardens also eliminate the drastic potentiometer mismatch between the single/dual coil windings which occur when cutting a coil out of the circuit.
Good luck on your project,
Rob

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
I don't know what Gene Baker does to his PBG b3 guitars to make them sound so damned good, but the split sounds in my b3 Wood w/ Lollar Imperial Low Wind pickups are amazing.

Also the split sound on my Tom Anderson Atom (only pickup is a bridge humbucker) is great.

Polyester

the old Maxons in my Genesis are fantastically split-able - the best I have ever heard, by far - but I have no clue where you'd find a set nowadays or what they would compare to.

They also use three-screw mountings, which limits where they can go even further.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
p.s. can those Duncan Triple Shot mounting rings be used with any splittable pu's ?
Yes, you just have to figure out which wire is which. There are wiring diagrams on the Duncan website IIRC to help guide you which wire to solder to which tab. My only concern with them is the long term durability of the little slide switches…

Digital Wrath

I like the split tones of my PRS 59/09's a a lot on my Custom 22:

Closer to a strat than a tele, It's own thing I guess.

SinglecutGuy

Silver Supporting Member
^^^

I was just reading all 4 pages of this and was surprised that it took that long for someone to mention the 59/09 pickups.

59/09's for the win!

C-4

I have Wolfetones that go series parallel split. They work perfectly and sound great in the sc mode.
Lace pickups do this extremely well also. In my orginal Jeff Beck Fender Strats with the Dually bridge, the Golds split perfectly and sounded great.

I had other boutique-made guitars and the pickups were not bad, but the sc tones lacked the punch of a true SC.
If a hummer in the sc mode does not have the basic attack and tone of a true sc, I cannot use it.

Trending Topics